Space Balloon - Script Writing - CHDK Forum  

Space Balloon

• 18 Replies
Space Balloon
« on: 30 / September / 2008, 16:00:39 »
Advertisements
I plan to use a canon SD1100 on board a high altitude balloon that will take pictures from as high as 120,000 feet. 

I'm looking at a script that will take pictures at regular intervals and I thought I'd ask for advice since you guys probably know a whole lot more about CHDK and photography than I do  :)

Can you recommend some settings for the camera that will produce the best quality pictures?  I suspect I do not need a flash and I suppose there will be no focus point.  Assuming all goes well the pictures should show the black sky against the earth.

The total flight will be about 2 hours.  I have a small linux powered flight computer.  I can save pictures on the camera or a USB drive attached to the flight computer.  I need to conserve power in a major way.  Suggestions?

Thanks guys and nice work on the firmware for the 1100 IS.

Offline reyalp

Re: Space Balloon
« Reply #1 on: 30 / September / 2008, 16:23:15 »
FWIW There are several other people working on similar flights:
A550 - Script both stills and video?
Ixus70 operating temps

You probably want to try out several of the  intervalometer scripts found in the scripting forum, and find which one suits your needs best.

Temperature of both the camera and batteries may be a concern.

If flight time is two hours, and you have the display turned off (via the av plug trick), it seems like the internal battery might be enough ? (depending how many pictures you take)

In general, chdk can't easily transfer to the computer, so you'd just want to record to the SD card.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline igor

« Reply #2 on: 02 / October / 2008, 01:20:04 »
As a power option you may consider external battery. See this thread: Power Auto Turn On

In fact if you have small computer, therefore as I undrestand you might be able to solder simple electronics, you might consider external power intervalometer powered by computers battery and/or even programmable by your computer solution.

« Reply #3 on: 10 / October / 2008, 21:38:04 »
That sounds like an awesome idea... wish i had a damn space balloon.

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #4 on: 12 / October / 2008, 11:56:36 »
Yes, it is a great idea. The bad thing about it is that helium is expensive. The balloons are cheap.

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
« Reply #5 on: 13 / October / 2008, 05:19:34 »
use hidrogen instead of helium, it should be cheap
« Last Edit: 13 / October / 2008, 05:23:37 by dzsemx »

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #6 on: 13 / October / 2008, 06:04:55 »
use hidrogen instead of helium, it should be cheap

wouldn't that be a bit dangerous for your equipment (the word 'hindenburg' springs to mind)  :D

wim

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
« Reply #7 on: 13 / October / 2008, 07:33:57 »
well it did pass the atlantic ocean 17 times...
« Last Edit: 13 / October / 2008, 07:52:53 by dzsemx »

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #8 on: 13 / October / 2008, 12:14:10 »
Yes, and at least in Germany Hydrogen is used in weather balloons.
The bad part about it is that I don't know where to purchase it and
my electrolytic machine has too little output to be useful.(And I don't have the necessary amount of K2Cl or some other K Salt to make an efficient machine.)

« Reply #9 on: 13 / October / 2008, 12:43:36 »
Aluminum and Lye (Sodium Hydroxide, NaOH) make an effective hydrogen generator. We used to play with this all the time, putting out copious amounts of H. Just be sure to use a large heat-proof container as it gets quite warm, and be cautious of boil-overs, allow plenty of room in your generating container for foaming.

Both materials are cheap, both are easy to obtain. Using thin aluminum foil cut into bits reacts the fastest in a lye solution, you might want to try aluminum cans for a more extended reaction. For a reaction vessel I might suggest a 5 gallon water jug. To slow down the reaction cool it down, or dilute the lye solution more the next time.