Most useful AllBest features for other builds - AllBest's Builds - CHDK Forum  

Most useful AllBest features for other builds

• 10 Replies
Most useful AllBest features for other builds
« on: 28 / December / 2007, 06:18:32 »
Advertisements
I will add some AllBest features to 'StereoData Maker' (SDM) but certainly not all of them.

My preference is to retain simplicity for the majority of users.

I will add override shutter-speed value and SPM can already override focused-distance.
I do not think I will add override aperture or iso.

What practical use do people think these features have ?

In continuous mode, I will add Tv and subject-distance bracketing.
I do not think I will add aperture or iso bracketing.

David

Offline qbaslublin

• Canon S2 IS
Re: Most useful AllBest features for other builds
« Reply #1 on: 04 / January / 2008, 15:41:10 »
Is there any sense in improving other releases?
Allbest is simply the best and this release should be continued only.
Maybe you all should group one team supporting it or talk to allbest to join him in order to produce one official chdk build?

What do you think?

« Reply #2 on: 04 / January / 2008, 16:34:31 »
Is there any sense in improving other releases?
Maybe you all should group one team supporting it or talk to allbest to join him in order to produce one official chdk build?

What do you think?

Yes and no.  While AllBest's build may be seen as the current all-inclusive build, there are a lot of functions and features there that some users may not use or want and they end up cluttering the menus which is, I think, what micro has in mind.
However, perhaps if a single all-inclusive build was able to made with a customizable menu, that could be a better all-around solution to having only one build.  I have no idea if this is possible though, but I would see it as a menu config file where the user could add/remove/move/rename menu items as they wish to see them (then people could even release customized menu cfgs like they do scripts).

-tgq

« Reply #3 on: 05 / January / 2008, 04:47:44 »

What do you think?

I think you are wrong and do not understand what 'StereoData Maker' does.
How is AllBest build of any use to stereo photographers ?
AllBest build is for 'CHDK enthusiasts', SDM is for stereo photographers and the next release will only include a few AllBest features, most new features are not considered necessary for our use and only clutter the menus.
In addition, the next SDM release will include some unique features that normally require additional hardware costing about 150 GBP.

« Reply #4 on: 05 / January / 2008, 14:09:08 »
What about a configure menu where you can choose what menus you want, and which you do not want?

Offline e2b

« Reply #5 on: 06 / January / 2008, 01:39:25 »
I do not think I will add override aperture or iso.

Based on my own experience, I would say that shutter speed override is very useful, but aperture and ISO have rather limited use, for example:
The EFFECTIVE range of manual settings for these cameras appears to be as follows:

A610: ISO 30-600 (normally 50 to 400); max shutter speed: 3 x (1/100k) secs (about 1/32 000 sec); aperture range to F11 (normally limited to F8)

S3 IS: ISO 50-1000 (normally 80 to 800); max shutter speed: 3 x (1/100k) secs (about 1/32 000 sec); aperture range to F8 (same as normal limit of F8).

Furthermore, special care has to be taken in using ISO override: see http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,243.0.html

« Reply #6 on: 06 / January / 2008, 04:49:31 »
I would say that shutter speed override is very useful, but aperture and ISO have rather limited use

I agree.

I will also add 'subject-distance' bracketing for extended depth-of-field imaging but will only allow increasing subject-distance (not decreasing or symmetrical).

Also, bracket-value will be entered as a single number rather than a ratio for both subject-distance bracketing and Tv bracketing/override.

David

« Reply #7 on: 07 / January / 2008, 06:30:53 »
I think you are wrong and do not understand what 'StereoData Maker' does.
How is AllBest build of any use to stereo photographers ?
AllBest build is for 'CHDK enthusiasts', SDM is for stereo photographers and the next release will only include a few AllBest features, most new features are not considered necessary for our use and only clutter the menus.
In addition, the next SDM release will include some unique features that normally require additional hardware costing about 150 GBP.
Hi, David! I Think that your build is great and it includes much of very intresing photographic functions.
May be you will join in our internatioanal project? :) http://tools.assembla.com/chdk/timeline ?
My opinion is that an idea of barberofcivil is intresting (customizable menu) and I'll try to realize it...
« Last Edit: 07 / January / 2008, 16:20:34 by Allbest »

« Reply #8 on: 07 / January / 2008, 12:54:54 »
May be you will join in our internatioanal project? :) http://tools.assembla.com/chdk/timeline ?

Hi 'AllBest'    !

I do not have enough programming experience to do that, I am just a beginner 
Smiley

Studying your code has taught me a lot and given me a head-ache !

It is a good way to learn about programming and compiling.

I still do not understand how VitalyB and Grand discovered the things that they did.

David

Offline papaone

• Pair of 720is
    • 3dpics4u
« Reply #9 on: 13 / April / 2008, 07:02:29 »
Hi David,

I would like to use exposure bracketing within SDM as I would like to take wildlife stereos (twin 720is's)  fired remotely.

For me to set up shots from a hide and have to return to the camera location after a normal sequence could spoil the day and upset the birds, badgers, lions or whatever the subject was,   also being able to process  HDR shots requires several exposures without disturbing the cameras, control of multiple +/- settings from a laptop would be a wonderful facility.

I do recognise that at this time that there may not be much call for it but with the imminent explosion with 3D computer imaging who knows how many different users will find this option invaluable. To have a compatible "pick and mix" option across all the builds would be fantastic!

Bestr regards,

Pete

Papaone