the sx10 porting thread - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

the sx10 porting thread

• 613 Replies
the sx10 porting thread
« on: 20 / October / 2008, 11:38:14 »
Advertisements
Hi,
I am quite new concerning CHDK knowledge and I have allready read that a CHDK for the SX110 (also with DIgic iV) is not available.

I stand shortly before the Buy/purchase of a Sx10.
My fear is that for the model a CHDK(one of the reason to buy a SX10 instead of a Panasonic FZ28) will never by developed.
Can someone take the fear of me? Is it to expect it will giv a CHDK?

Regards
Bobble
« Last Edit: 20 / March / 2009, 20:04:47 by PhyrePhoX »

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Is CHDK for SX10 possible in the future
« Reply #1 on: 20 / October / 2008, 11:47:59 »
if a chdk developer or someone else with serious skills in ASM has physical access to a sx10 it CAN be done. otherwise there is no chance.

« Reply #2 on: 20 / October / 2008, 13:17:13 »
But it's in the range of possibility (to make a CHDK for Digic IV). It's does only "fail" because of missing hardware?

If like that is, it makes for sense to wait, if it will not function generally, is it a problem (Purchase decision problem for me).

Thanks
Regards
Anton

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
« Reply #3 on: 20 / October / 2008, 13:25:32 »
Hej,
You need to be more patient, dude...
The SX110 IS and SX10 IS have just come out, how can you expect to have CHDK ported that fast ?

Unless some of the CHDK gods of here buys one of these cams, and thus have all they need to do the process, plus the motivation for it... It will just take some time, depending also much wether canon changed his firmware again to slow CHDK porting or not.
Btw I don't think SX110 got the digit 4 but old digit 3 instead.

« Reply #4 on: 20 / October / 2008, 14:05:18 »
Hej,
You need to be more patient, dude...
The SX110 IS and SX10 IS have just come out, how can you expect to have CHDK ported that fast ?

That's what I mean, time will tell, If it is generally possible, it makes sense to buy and also to wait for chdk....
 But does one have to be so impolite when somone ask a question?nI have said I'm not so versed

I have said I'm been not so versed, I wanted only  to know whether it will generally within the range of the possible one , It's already clearly to me that did not ahppen over night. :-[

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
« Reply #5 on: 20 / October / 2008, 17:28:20 »
Hej,
So impolite ? Hmm didn't feel like being that impolite there...
Anyway I remember once I said that it was probably better to buy the A590 since it was the new model back then and that anyway there will be CHDK for it... Same for SX100, it was really really slow to port CHDK to it.

Sorry if I sounded rude anyway, if you like the SX10 IS, it's probably for it's focal range, there is no CHDK compatible model with such zoom, so buy it. On the other hand, if you like the SX110 IS, if I were you I'd buy a SX100 before it's not available, so you are sure there is CHDK for it.

If you wait for the CHDK for them... you'll probably be hesitating with the next models of next year then... and never buy anything.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 21 / October / 2008, 00:52:44 »
That's what I mean, time will tell, If it is generally possible, it makes sense to buy and also to wait for chdk....
It's probably possible (perhaps even possibly probable ?), but until someone really digs into it, there's no guarantee. Canon might have changed something that makes it impossible.  That said the SD880/Ixus 870 is Digic IV, has been dumped, and at least on a quick glance, it looks like a pretty typical dryos cam. That bodes well for porting other Digic IV, assuming a developer eventually gets access to one.

If the main reason you would be buying the cam is for CHDK, it's obviously not a good choice at this point. OTOH, if you really want the cam anyway, you might as well go for it. You can even get CHDK a tiny bit closer by making a firmware dump (or discovering that current dumping methods don't work)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #7 on: 30 / October / 2008, 08:04:23 »
The topic is void, I bought a 450D favorably now.
Nevertheless thank you for the many information

Regards
Bobble

« Reply #8 on: 09 / November / 2008, 21:18:39 »
I am a newbie and am in the market for SX10.  I discovered CHDK by accident two weeks ago (on the internet) and been very interested in CHDK - I understand that SX10 CHDK development hasn't probably started but I have read on this forum that the Firmware dump info would probably be a start (I could be wrong-o).

I dont have the SX10 yet, so I went to Best Buy and tried to check the firmware version of it.

I brought my SD card with the ver.req AND vers.req empty text files in it (with instructions from CHDK FAQ - after all I work in IT so it wasn't too hard).

So anyways, I put the SD card into the  SX10, then opened the file and click on the Playback button (note: when you turn on SX10, it ALWAYS defaults to RECORD mode so you need to click on the playback button...).  Then I click on Func Set button + Disp button and voila I see the Canon SX10 firmware dump as follows (I typed it from my memory - will explain below):

Firmware Version GM1.00C
NO ERROR
Sep 14 2008  xx:xx:xx   

I was hoping that this firmware info will automatically be saved into either  ver.req or vers.req file (theyre both  on the root directory of the SD card btw)  when I pushed the FUNC SET and DISP buttons simultaneously.  However, when I opened either files they were both empty.  But anyways I am certain that it is GM1.00C.   I checked the SX10 box and it said Made in Japan.

Don't know if this info is of any help.  But any helpful input is appreciated - I will go back to best buy and hopefully save the firmware info in my next trip  :) so any CHDK developer can have a jump start in the SX10 CHDK hehehe....   I know the CHDK Devs are very busy and I am willing to wait - no rush at all - looking forward to see a robust SX10 CHDK in 10 months (well hopefully not that long hehehe).

Offline reyalp

« Reply #9 on: 09 / November / 2008, 21:23:07 »
vers.req doesn't cause the camera to save the information, it just gets displayed on the screen.

Porting requires a developer to have the camera in question, although a firmware dump would still be of interested.
Don't forget what the H stands for.