the sx10 porting thread - page 3 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

the sx10 porting thread

• 613 Replies

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Is CHDK for SX10 possible in the future
« Reply #20 on: 21 / December / 2008, 21:50:07 »
Advertisements
Hello & welcome, jetherson !

How come I don't have the "total shoot" info?

You'll get this when you put a file named vers.req instead of ver.req !

« Reply #21 on: 22 / December / 2008, 05:28:22 »
Thanks fe50 for that tip. Also, I really want to thank you so much for working on the SX10 CHDK. I had some very little knowledge on assembly language because I bought some 3 or 4 assembly language books at around 1996 to 1998 and did some self-studying back then. And now, I can't even make a dump of my own SX10's firmware. I'm really looking forward on having a CHDK on my SX10 so I can utilize it's scripting abilities. I would like to be active here to show my support for the SX10 CHDK, so if you need some help, let me know.

Ciao!
« Last Edit: 22 / December / 2008, 08:46:42 by jetherson »

Offline fe50

• fe50
« Reply #22 on: 22 / December / 2008, 08:46:30 »
Thanks fe50 for that tip. Also, I really want to thank you so much for working on the SX10 CHDK. I had some very little knowledge on assembly language because I bought some 3 or 4 books at around 1996 to 1998 and did some self-studying back then. And now, I can't even make a dump of my own SX10's firmware. I'm really looking forward on having a CHDK on my SX10 so I can utilize it's scripting abilities. I would like to be active here to show my support for the SX10 CHDK, so if you need some help, let me know.
Hi jetherson,
dumping your SX10 is not needed since it is the same, already dumped fw 1.00C.

I've just started some tests with the SX10 to see whether porting to this new Digic IV device could be possible - and yes, i'm sure, porting CHDK is possible.
The SX10 code looks like a 'normal' DryOS camera, the dumper & blinker routines are working, the fw encryption is the same as on other cams, i've already found several adresses/routines, restarting & execution of my own code is working.

But there's A LOT work to do a port, i'm not sure whether i have the time to do this; the heavy part is the assembler part, i'm not familiar with ARM assembler (sometimes a bit tricky, very powerfull), not sure whether i can do this...also the DryOS cams are not as 'easy' to port as the ones with VxWorks  ;)

I've posted some details on the SX10 wikia page, if i find the time for it i'll publish some more details / my current sources, maybe an 'real' developer buys this wonderful camera, too...

To prevent further questions: No, there's no CHDK available for the SX10, also not a test version, no timeline etc. !

But even without CHDK the SX10 is beautiful (in the 'cheap' price segment, e.g. 299,- Euro @ Amazon), the 20x zoom objective is absolutely great, and it has some features 'bought' from CHDK, like Tv & focus bracketing, user menu, optical zoom in video (great !) etc.

« Reply #23 on: 22 / December / 2008, 17:00:20 »
Hi FE50 and Jetterson,

thank you guys for volunteering your skills in building the CHDK for SX10!

Sorry I didn't know the answer to your "Total # of shots" question but FE50's answer made sense.  I have both "ver.req"
and 'vers.req" files on my SD card.

Looking forward to see a working CHDK version in 6 months! :)

No pressure - I work in IT as well but knows heck about Assembler and C  :( - if it takes longer so be it as its all about quality
control. 

« Reply #24 on: 05 / January / 2009, 19:26:43 »
Hello guys, I was looking for a way to shoot RAW with my camera and after some google searches came to this site. I hope this post is in the right place. I must say that im impressed by the advance made in the digic 3 binary and understand that there are attempts to get the digic 4 up and running. I own a SX1 camera (PAL) and I have some experience in assembler for intel(sse2,3), mips r3000, atmels and a littlebit of ARM. C/C++ is of course not a problem. The only thing I'd like to know a bit more is about the toolchain you use and if there is an svn repo. It sounds exciting to volunteer for the port, my english is poor but I guess I can handle it, spanish and dutch too so lets hack a bit.

« Reply #25 on: 05 / January / 2009, 19:34:19 »
Oops, just found the Developers page with all the necessary information :)

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #26 on: 05 / January / 2009, 19:38:11 »
you should start reading SX110IS - howto start porting and for a quick overview this little funny but revealing post by reyalp here.

sift through the wiki. the information might be scattered around a bit, but it is there.

good luck, and welcome aboard.

Offline fe50

• fe50
« Reply #27 on: 05 / January / 2009, 19:57:38 »
Hi xlabscat,

you can also have a look to the Wikia page for the SX10 (very similar to the SX1): SX10, there's also a page for the SX1 where you can post some porting related stuff...
If you're working under Windows, you'll find most tools here: chdkdev drop and here chdksoft drop.
PS: The gcc 3.4 environment compiles ~ 20% faster as the 4.3...

Offline TapouT

• [S5 IS]
« Reply #28 on: 20 / January / 2009, 22:43:02 »
When the SX1 gets to the USA (hopefully) and looks to be on its way for being ported, that will be my next upgrade.  I like the range of the SX10 but if 0.7 FPS is true then I'll stay with my S5 IS until I get an SX1.

I would like to say thanks to anyone working on the SX10 or SX1 though since I will probably get an SX1 at some point.

Offline fe50

• fe50
« Reply #29 on: 21 / January / 2009, 03:17:44 »
@TapouT
The SX10 has 1.4 pps with its CCD sensor, the SX1 4.0 pps with the CMOS one; after reading some reviews the image quality on the SX1 is the same...
The price for the SX1's extras (higher pps, HD video, remote) is + around 160 Euro (here in Germany) :(