the sx10 porting thread - page 6 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

the sx10 porting thread

• 613 Replies
Re: Is CHDK for SX10 possible in the future
« Reply #50 on: 12 / March / 2009, 01:20:33 »
Advertisements
Hello,
I'm new to this site and am checking it out because I've heard great things about CHDK and have an SX10.  After reading through all of the posts in this thread, it seems like there are only a few people who know ASM and even fewer people who know ASM and have an SX10.  I am by no means an expert at programming in ASM, but I have learned a lot of it while programming an ARM7 processor.  Although I don't have a lot of free time, I would like to see if I can help out in creating a CHDK port for the SX10 but am unsure of the first steps to take.  I know I could probably find more information scattered about on this site and other places, but I would really appreciate any advice any of you can give.  Keep in mind I have never used CHDK before.  Some questions I have are: Is it necessary to write code from scratch or do CHDK programmers get the code from the camera and then modify it?  Where can I get any existing code for the SX10 (or similar camera if there is none for the SX10 yet) so that I can begin studing it?  Are there any special programs I need to write/compile/upload code to the camera or can I just use a text editor and save the file with a specific extension and then put in on a memory card?  Would I need to know how to program in anything besides ARM?  I'm sure I'll have other questions if I pursue this, however, answers to those and any other advice you have will definitely help me get started and allow me see if I can indeed help out.  Thank you.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #51 on: 12 / March / 2009, 04:13:58 »
great :)
- 'force manual flash' don't work in video (I will look on this later)

how do you know? btw it doesnt work on the s5is as well, it crashes it. Perhaps it has to do with the hotshoe!?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #52 on: 12 / March / 2009, 08:30:33 »
Hello & welcome, psychobabble !

Is it necessary to write code from scratch or do CHDK programmers get the code from the camera and then modify it?
No, normally a similar camera can be used as base, e.g. for the SX10 this may be the S5 or the SD990

Where can I get any existing code for the SX10 (or similar camera if there is none for the SX10 yet) so that I can begin studing it?
CHDK SVN + ewavr's diff...

Are there any special programs I need to write/compile/upload code to the camera or can I just use a text editor and save the file with a specific extension and then put in on a memory card?
You'll find all informations in the wikia - For_Developers
The "easy" way is to use Windows with IDA Pro, CHDK-Shell & the included gcc development kit (links are in the wikia)

Would I need to know how to program in anything besides ARM?
The "model dependent" things are coded in ARM assembler, most of the common CHDK "core" is written in C.
There are some special tools for developers, e.g. the ->signature finder, encryption/decryption tools etc.
Read the informations in the wikia & in the forum (porting threads), study the sources (e.g. the S5 1.01b with lots of comments).
The camera articles in the CHDK wikia often have some additional informations...

To start with ewavr's sources from above you prepare a dev environment using the CHDK-Shell (full version with gcc dev kit), install (unzip) it, let it download the CHDK sources, append ewavr's diff file & compile it.

Offline Kalli

• A620, SX10 IS
« Reply #53 on: 12 / March / 2009, 09:06:18 »
Porting started for 1.01A.
[...]
I bend my knees and bow my head!
Thanx ewavr!!!

With best regards
Kalli

« Reply #54 on: 12 / March / 2009, 14:10:04 »
A note to other forum lurkers: You've got to register to see those attached files!

Thank you guys so much for doing all of this work! I was very sad when I learned my new camera wasn't CHDK'd when I bought it.

« Reply #55 on: 12 / March / 2009, 14:43:17 »
It's getting closer! I feel wet with anticipation.

« Reply #56 on: 12 / March / 2009, 15:48:11 »
Here are some test pictures for the SX10IS, using the new beta firmware, and the save as DNG options, taken under the stipulations at the top of thread (http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,390.0.html).

http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/u/akasurak/CHDK_SX10IS
« Last Edit: 12 / March / 2009, 15:49:42 by quatch »

« Reply #57 on: 12 / March / 2009, 16:31:20 »
Great work ewavr!

I've downloaded the f50's build, unpacked, put it on the sd card, but I have a problem. The menu for the "Firm update" option doesn't appear...hmmmm. I think I did everything right because on my A620, chdk worked right away.

Manny thanks again!

PS: I have the right firmware

« Last Edit: 12 / March / 2009, 16:38:30 by nightman »

Offline Kalli

• A620, SX10 IS
« Reply #58 on: 12 / March / 2009, 16:45:00 »
Great work ewavr!

I've downloaded the f50's build, unpacked, put it on the sd card, but I have a problem. The menu for the "Firm update" option doesn't appear...hmmmm. I think I did everything right because on my A620, chdk worked right away.

Manny thanks again!
Hi, "Firm update" can't work (missing .fi2 file - don't fotget, it's beta). Make your card bootable with CardTricks144. I did that with a 4GB card and it works. After CHDK loaded half press the shoot button to get in record mode. Then it's all running as known from A620.
I have the problem that the menu disappears sometimes after some sec. without any button pressed...
« Last Edit: 12 / March / 2009, 16:46:31 by Kalli »

« Reply #59 on: 12 / March / 2009, 17:13:37 »
I have the problem that the menu disappears sometimes after some sec. without any button pressed...

I had this happen to me too a few times, I thought I must have brushed a button..

I also used a 4Gb card made bootable using the Mac OSX instructions.