the sx10 porting thread - page 20 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

the sx10 porting thread

• 613 Replies

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: the sx10 porting thread
« Reply #190 on: 07 / April / 2009, 14:52:04 »
Advertisements
But now I have a couple quick questions. When I am capturing the DNG file, there is a long delay in the time after the shutter closes and the camera is ready for another photo. Is there anything I can do to expedite this process?

If it's more than a few seconds, test your SD card write speed and buy a faster one. If it's a few seconds...well that's just how long it takes to do the DNG magic and then save it to the card. Saving plain RAW is faster and with the JPEG, there's no information lost compared to DNG, usability just happens to be worse for post processing. But when you're in a hurry, you just can't shoot RAW/DNG.

Also, when I am in Av mode and I want to bracket a shot, I use the camera's built in bracketing feature in addition to CHDK's continuous bracketing. However, it always seems to lock up the camera and completely render it useless until I remove the batteries and then replace them. Am I doing this wrong? I would appreciate some ideas as HDR photography is a realm that I would like to get into.

Well... I don't know why you would want to use them both at the same time except to completely and utterly try to mess with your head, but I didn't know any CHDK compliant camera had internal bracketing of any sort... i.e. this is likely untested territory, and even if older models or S/G series have that, maybe nobody just tried it because it sounds insane :D.

Sounds like someone who ported sx10 needs to add a check to CHDK bracketing to disable it when camera's internal bracketing is enabled, to prevent crashes.

« Reply #191 on: 07 / April / 2009, 16:00:04 »
Guys please give me some advice about that UsmMinFreqError thing. Is it a defect that I should worry about? Google shows only two results, and one of them directs to this very thread. HELPPPP! :(

Hey there!

I'm an SX1 owner (and here within CHDK I'm the first "porter" for CHDK to SX1) and just wanted to confirm, that it may happen.

My 4years old S2 IS has this error too (when checking it with ver.req method). But since years, I had not the slightest problem! Actually last year on my Australia/NZ Trip i even dropped it on a hike around the "King's Canyon".... Luckierwise it fell onto the corner of the main LCD and this corner looks a little bit bumped, but still: It was a heavy drop onto Austrlian Rock. Nevertheless: the cam works still flawlessly (took another 3500 Pics on this trip)...

My 1 month old SX1 IS did not initially show this error. But last Saturday - when shooting a macro picture, I was getting to close to the objects and while touching by mistake the Zoom Controller, the Lens were blocked for a moment. I saw on the display shortly the message "Lens Error - Camera restart" and then the cam went out. After normally Power-on (retracting - extracting Lens) everything is normal.

HOWEVER: Since then I see the E18 - UsmMinFreqError also on my SX1 (including Time/Date stamp)...

Following assumption:

- Some errors are permanently logged/written into the Memory of the Cam (Like Firmware or the Settings of the "C" Mode or the Themes (Pictures/Sound) you can make/Upload for your cam).  This memory area is NOT erased if a firmware update is made, neither can it be "reseted"...

- It is certainly possible to access/change this "internal error Log" as it is possible to upload a picture/sound with "My Camera Menu" Tool or "brand" your camera with your name/contact (shown in EXIF Informations later) - but unfortunately not without the right tool (Canon Service Tool/ Software - like Car-Companies have their Service-Systems in todays Car-Systems)...

I assume that Canon Service "uses" such evidence if servicing a Cam (even for other issues). OR blame the customer of having misused the cam ;-)

But also: Do not worry about the shown error in the "log"  (eventough it would be nicer without)...under normal circumstances you will enjoy your Cam until End-of-Lifecycle....

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #192 on: 07 / April / 2009, 16:02:29 »
Is there anything I can do to expedite this process?
No, not atm; on other cams the "RAW buffer cached" option speeds up RAW saving a bit, but on the SX10 atm this has no effect; the SX10 RAWs are ~ 15 MB of size, needs ~ 4s per image on a slow card (while the blue LED lits CHDK writes the image to the card).

Also, when I am in Av mode and I want to bracket a shot, I use the camera's built in bracketing feature in addition to CHDK's continuous bracketing. However, it always seems to lock up the camera and completely render it useless until I remove the batteries and then replace them.
I cant reproduce this  ???
The SX automatically disables the continuous mode when bracketing is enabled, you'll see Canon's cont.mode OSD sign greyed out; the custom timer mode is also limited to 3 shots in combination with the Canon Bkt function.

The CHDK bracketing gets active when you switch to cont. mode, you'll see the red CHDK override OSD - but CHDK do NO bracketing, only the original Canon bracketing takes its 3 shots...

I've tested this in P, Av & Tv mode, with CHDK AV & Tv bracketing enabled, no crash here...maybe there's another setting which leads to a crash in another unholy combination ?
« Last Edit: 07 / April / 2009, 16:04:30 by fe50 »

« Reply #193 on: 07 / April / 2009, 16:27:08 »
Is there anything I can do to expedite this process?
No, not atm; on other cams the "RAW buffer cached" option speeds up RAW saving a bit, but on the SX10 atm this has no effect; the SX10 RAWs are ~ 15 MB of size, needs ~ 4s per image on a slow card (while the blue LED lits CHDK writes the image to the card).

Also, when I am in Av mode and I want to bracket a shot, I use the camera's built in bracketing feature in addition to CHDK's continuous bracketing. However, it always seems to lock up the camera and completely render it useless until I remove the batteries and then replace them.
I cant reproduce this  ???
The SX automatically disables the continuous mode when bracketing is enabled, you'll see Canon's cont.mode OSD sign greyed out; the custom timer mode is also limited to 3 shots in combination with the Canon Bkt function.

The CHDK bracketing gets active when you switch to cont. mode, you'll see the red CHDK override OSD - but CHDK do NO bracketing, only the original Canon bracketing takes its 3 shots...

I've tested this in P, Av & Tv mode, with CHDK AV & Tv bracketing enabled, no crash here...maybe there's another setting which leads to a crash in another unholy combination ?

You're right, I'm a big dummy. I wasn't looking in the right spot for CHDK to start bracketing. Perhaps the lockup stems from the fact that I'm outputting in DNG, while trying to use the camera's Auto Exposure Bracketing function.

« Reply #194 on: 07 / April / 2009, 21:47:42 »
I'm testing the remote capabilities of the SX10.  I can confirm the Ricoh CA-1 cable release works on the SX10.  Single shot.  Would like to figure out if I can get continuous shooting and zoom to work on this remote, if others wants to test with me.  Remote has an on/off switch and a main button which allows a half/full press. Takes one AAA battery. 

I bought it for $25 on Adorama.  It's also at Popflash and on Amazon via Adorama.
http://www.adorama.com/IRCCA1.html?sid=20090407212745594zb&searchinfo=Ricoh+CA-1

Here's a page with some schematics used to adapt it for a different purpose but which might provide clues. 
http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/ca1.htm

Image:
http://www.adorama.com/catlite.tpl?op=large_image&sku=IRCCA1.JPG

Would like to test the CHDK remote capabilities to see how far the SX10 can be pushed.

« Reply #195 on: 08 / April / 2009, 16:25:22 »
Very nice Rory!  8) 8)

This is a nice news!
Do you have deeply tested this Ricoh CA-1 with SX10?
I have understood that it work only for single shot.

Also tahnks for schematic reference!  :) :)

« Reply #196 on: 08 / April / 2009, 23:00:48 »
I've done some more testing.  Still only single shot.  But, I'm a newbie to CHDK, so others may be able to push the SX10 further with this remote.  The remote is as about as small and light as you'd want though, on a single AAA.  And cheap.  Cord is a bit thick, though. 

« Reply #197 on: 08 / April / 2009, 23:15:55 »
It appears this might bring zoom and continuous shooting in to play with the Ricoh CA-1 remote:

StereoData Maker (SDM)
http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/index.htm

Think StereoData Maker needs to be updated to work with SX10, though.  But, looks like the workings of full remote use on the SX10 are there, if someone who knows CHDK more than I do (not difficult) is interested.

« Reply #198 on: 12 / April / 2009, 12:41:52 »
Hi Friends,
              I am getting Firmware on SX10 IS like below :

Canon Powershot SX10 IS
P-ID:318D NT D
Firmware Ver GM1.00C
E18
Sep 14 2008 14:57:56

How Could I use CHDK on my CAM ? Please Help .

« Reply #199 on: 12 / April / 2009, 12:46:37 »
Hi Friends,
              I am getting Firmware message on my SX10 IS like below :
---------------------------------------
Canon Powershot SX10 IS
P-ID:318D NT D
Firmware Ver GM1.00C
E18
Sep 14 2008 14:57:56
---------------------------------------------
It's shows "E18" rather than "No Error"
How Could I use CHDK on my CAM ? Is there any CHDK available for 1.00C ?Please Help .