the sx10 porting thread - page 44 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

the sx10 porting thread

• 613 Replies
Re: the sx10 porting thread
« Reply #430 on: 28 / June / 2009, 00:05:48 »
Advertisements
I am looking to buy this camera. So far all I can find in stores is firmware version 1.00C. All ports are for firmware versions 101A,1.01B, or 1.02B. Were would I find firmware to upgrade to one of these versions? The Canon web site show no firmware updates available.

JB

« Reply #431 on: 28 / June / 2009, 18:07:57 »
GM1.00c Updates:

I've gotten a 1.00c firmware chdk actually booting! It shows the logo!

Downsides... it's crashing when loading a script, and switching into shooting mode  :(

More debugging is needed, but I'm almost there.

CRW vs DNG in 1.01B
« Reply #432 on: 28 / June / 2009, 18:32:17 »
As I understand it, most current raw import programs can't handle the CRW files produced by the digic IV processor in the SX10.  I have successfully opened and tweaked DNG files with UFraw plugin and gimp.  Is there any way to shut off recording of .CRW files and just record .DNG instead?  Right now if I want to use the raw feature each picture requires 5 MB for the jpg, 15 for the CRW and another 15 for the DNG.  Did I miss something?

Thanks,
TD

« Reply #433 on: 28 / June / 2009, 19:39:15 »
Hi there, is there any chance that there will be developed something for the 1.03a? Mine has that FW and I was greatly disapointed for not being able to use CHDK on my SX10...

1.03a is pretty recent, so there is a good chance that it will be done. What is needed currently is a dump of the 1.03 rom. This can be done using cardtricks from http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CardTricks

Rumours suggest that 1.03 is pretty close to 1.02, and if it is, then the port will be developed fast.

Man, I would gladly help, but I don't know what do you mean with needing a dump of the 1.03 rom...

« Reply #434 on: 28 / June / 2009, 22:40:55 »
Hi there, is there any chance that there will be developed something for the 1.03a? Mine has that FW and I was greatly disapointed for not being able to use CHDK on my SX10...

1.03a is pretty recent, so there is a good chance that it will be done. What is needed currently is a dump of the 1.03 rom. This can be done using cardtricks from http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CardTricks

Rumours suggest that 1.03 is pretty close to 1.02, and if it is, then the port will be developed fast.

Man, I would gladly help, but I don't know what do you mean with needing a dump of the 1.03 rom...

You will need a blank SD card (I use a 1 Gb SD card, but anything up to 4Gb should work ok)
Download cardtricks from http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CardTricks and run it.
Put your blank SD card into a card reader
Click on the SD card picture and select the drive with the SD card in it.
Click on NewDryOS in the "Create/Inspect Universal Dumper"  section.

The card will now be formatted

Eject the card and slide the lock tab so that the card is in the write locked position.
Put the card in your camera and close the door to the SD slot.
Press the picture playback button and wait at least 30 seconds.

Note: You won't see anything on the display and the camera will not do anything during this process

Open the battery compartment, and with the batteries open, remove the SD card from the camera
You can now close the battery compartment

Put the SD card in the reader, and select it with cardtricks.
Click on "Strings" and if the dump worked, you will get a text listing.
Click on "Clean" and save the .BIN file to your hard drive.

This will be the dump of the 1.03 rom that can then be uploaded somewhere (I like drop.io)

Let us know here in this thread where the dump can be downloaded from.

You can then unlock the card and reformat it for normal use.

« Reply #435 on: 29 / June / 2009, 01:23:31 »
I'm willing to work on 1.03a if we get a reliable dump.

I haven't really done anything on 1.00c since cormac seems to be making progress, and I've been either busy or lazy.

cormac: That's great that it's actually booting now! Did you happen to verify everything in stubs_min.S? That's the one that's a big pain and one of the ones that seems like it might be more likely to cause a crash during operation as opposed to boot.

Also, if you have two things you need to do (like say, check stubs_min.S and stubs_entry_2.S or something) that we can split, let me know if I can do one part while you do another. I just don't want to uselessly duplicate effort..... Just let me know which part to look at.

For debugging you might want to try disabling the OSD, then go into "record" (shooting) mode just to see if it's OSD-related.

(BTW, does CHDK always go into "play" mode when it starts up? I thought I had it booting into "record" mode at one point.)

« Reply #436 on: 29 / June / 2009, 01:52:33 »
First, thanks for the porting efforts :) chdk was the main reason for me for buying another canon compact camera.

I'm using the 1.02b Beta build, and i have one more or less serious problem:

The camera doesn't switch on correctly every time. Sometimes the screen (and the seeker) just stay black.
This can happen, as far as i recall, in all 3 ways to switch it on ("play" button, "on" button, "on" button pressed for a few seconds)

Is this a know issue? any idea what it could be connected to? it really seems to be happening rather randomly.

« Reply #437 on: 29 / June / 2009, 02:11:12 »
I'm willing to work on 1.03a if we get a reliable dump.

I haven't really done anything on 1.00c since cormac seems to be making progress, and I've been either busy or lazy.

cormac: That's great that it's actually booting now! Did you happen to verify everything in stubs_min.S? That's the one that's a big pain and one of the ones that seems like it might be more likely to cause a crash during operation as opposed to boot.

Also, if you have two things you need to do (like say, check stubs_min.S and stubs_entry_2.S or something) that we can split, let me know if I can do one part while you do another. I just don't want to uselessly duplicate effort..... Just let me know which part to look at.

For debugging you might want to try disabling the OSD, then go into "record" (shooting) mode just to see if it's OSD-related.

(BTW, does CHDK always go into "play" mode when it starts up? I thought I had it booting into "record" mode at one point.)

The stubs was the core of the problem. I made it rescan (dropping primary.bin into the sub directory) and it fixed most of the problems, after I found two typos in addresses. The main problem I have is that if I go into shooting mode, it blinks the OSD then it immediately powers down, and the same happens if I try go into "Load scripts from file..." from the menu.

I turned off the OSD for everything and I was able to go into shooting mode, start the menu and setup to take a RAW photo in CRW mode.

I'm trying to figure out what call uses scripts and osd in common, then beat on it.

Regarding the play mode, the power button seems to have two modes (at least in my build). A short press on the power button boots into playback mode, a long press on the power button goes into shooting mode.

Edited: I might have turned off that funtion in the code -recompiling...
Edited again: I did have that turned off, switched it back on, and no difference... short press playback, long press shooting.
« Last Edit: 29 / June / 2009, 02:27:10 by cormac »

« Reply #438 on: 29 / June / 2009, 02:39:37 »
I've uploaded the latest 1.00c source at http://drop.io/CHDK_GM100c

Once I've gotten the OSD problem fixed I'll upload a compiled test version for people to beat on.

« Reply #439 on: 29 / June / 2009, 03:34:17 »
I have tried CHDK for 1.01b.

First of all, it works!
I didn't found where the feature "Motion detection" is but i think this is my fault, i didn't read the manual well enough.

Sometimes the ALT menu disappear, if you press "down" or "up" it behaves like it has always been there, just invisible.
i think this is related to face recognition.

After some tests it stopped working, when i choose "update firmware" it just shut down the camera.
I think this is related to some configuration i made... resetting the configuration make it work again.

I didn't try to make the card bootable, it was just a test of this beta version.

Thanks to everyone, nice project! I really like custom grids!

« Last Edit: 29 / June / 2009, 09:08:32 by alberto1x3 »