the sx10 porting thread - page 46 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

the sx10 porting thread

• 613 Replies
Re: the sx10 porting thread
« Reply #450 on: 30 / June / 2009, 10:55:54 »
Advertisements
So whats with all the different firmware versions on this camera, and why are they not compatible. It's like there are hardware changes. Why would I buy a camera that wasn't up to date?

JB

« Reply #451 on: 30 / June / 2009, 13:21:53 »
I loaded 1.00c last night and played with it a bit. Everything I've tried seems to be working fine. Thanks cormac!

« Reply #452 on: 30 / June / 2009, 14:19:01 »
So whats with all the different firmware versions on this camera, and why are they not compatible. It's like there are hardware changes. Why would I buy a camera that wasn't up to date?

JB

From examining various firmware versions, it's more like there are small software changes being made, not hardware changes. For example between 1.00C and 1.01A there are two sections of  8 bytes of extra code, not enough for a major change like a hardware change, which would require a lot more code.

I've not had the time to go and figure out exactly what was changed, but it seems more like a minor optimization, than a major change.

Canon have great customer support, which is why I've stuck with them through the years. If you find a problem that's big enough to be noticeable, they will probably either send a firmware update or take the camera back for service.

Despite all the firmware changes being a pain for CHDK development, I'm happy to see that they are still turning out firmware for it, it's a good sign that they plan to stand behind the camera for a while.

« Reply #453 on: 30 / June / 2009, 16:08:41 »
cormac i cant find anything wrong with your port for 1.00c. You and CHDK turned a very good camera into a great one. Everything that i've checked works. Now im off to get the parts to make  the USB shutter release. I cant say thanks enough.
Steve
sx10is eos 50d eos 1Ds Mark II eos 5D Mark II

« Reply #454 on: 30 / June / 2009, 18:10:00 »
cormac i cant find anything wrong with your port for 1.00c. You and CHDK turned a very good camera into a great one. Everything that i've checked works. Now im off to get the parts to make  the USB shutter release. I cant say thanks enough.
Steve
You're welcome. I was hoping someone would do it, and I never had time to work on it myself until the last round of budget cuts, and then I unexpectedly had lots of time.

I've tested a lot of it, and I've yet to find a problem. The OSD flickers sometimes, but thats already in the bugtracker as an issue with Canon refreshing the display for no apparent reason. I still want to try the motion detection.

« Reply #455 on: 30 / June / 2009, 18:50:04 »

JB

From examining various firmware versions, it's more like there are small software changes being made, not hardware changes. For example between 1.00C and 1.01A there are two sections of  8 bytes of extra code, not enough for a major change like a hardware change, which would require a lot more code.

I've not had the time to go and figure out exactly what was changed, but it seems more like a minor optimization, than a major change.

Canon have great customer support, which is why I've stuck with them through the years. If you find a problem that's big enough to be noticeable, they will probably either send a firmware update or take the camera back for service.

Despite all the firmware changes being a pain for CHDK development, I'm happy to see that they are still turning out firmware for it, it's a good sign that they plan to stand behind the camera for a while.

Thanks for your answer cormac. I guess what I don't understand is why these firmware updates are not on the Canon web site. If they were, then CHDK would only need to created for the latest firmware update. You have been working to port the oldest known firmware version.

JB

« Reply #456 on: 30 / June / 2009, 19:12:37 »

JB

From examining various firmware versions, it's more like there are small software changes being made, not hardware changes. For example between 1.00C and 1.01A there are two sections of  8 bytes of extra code, not enough for a major change like a hardware change, which would require a lot more code.

Thanks for your answer cormac. I guess what I don't understand is why these firmware updates are not on the Canon web site. If they were, then CHDK would only need to created for the latest firmware update. You have been working to port the oldest known firmware version.

JB

It would be nice to get CHDK back down to one or two versions for the camera.

I suspect that Canon only publicly release firmware when there is a pressing need (eg a major bugfix, or a high demand update). Internally, they seem to be sending manufacturing updated firmware every few months.

Some places I've worked for have the attitude of "don't release a lot of updates because it makes people think your product is bad".

They might do a firmware release after a year or two once development has stopped and they want to have their support dealing with only one software version.

« Reply #457 on: 30 / June / 2009, 19:27:00 »
Thanks cormac for the v1.00c!

I was playing with it last night until my batteries ran out.

So far so good.

I'll try some scripting later.

Thanks again! Ciao!  :D

« Reply #458 on: 30 / June / 2009, 21:57:15 »
I'm testing the 1.00C CHDK, and I've run into a problem using set_zoom_speed in scripts. I tried both "set_zoom_speed 10" and "set_zoom_speed 100", and the camera makes a clicking noise and shuts down. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Does set_zoom_speed work correctly in CHDK for the other firmware versions?

Edit: I tried just setting the zoom without setting the zoom speed first, and everything seemed to work fine (I didn't get stuck in the tele-macro-mode that the S3 seems to get into if you try to call set_zoom without calling set_zoom_speed first).
« Last Edit: 30 / June / 2009, 22:04:57 by orozco »

« Reply #459 on: 30 / June / 2009, 22:04:14 »
I'm testing the 1.00C CHDK, and I've run into a problem using set_zoom_speed in scripts. I tried both "set_zoom_speed 10" and "set_zoom_speed 100", and the camera makes a clicking noise and shuts down. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Does set_zoom_speed work correctly in CHDK for the other firmware versions?

I'll look into this. It sounds like I missed converting the address for this one.

Edited: Yep. There's a crash in there...  I tested it with the script from http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=1629.0 and it causes a reset.

Edited again: The problem is that NHSTUB(SetZoomActuatorSpeedPercent, 0xFFC00958) in stubs_entry_2.S is null subbed. Need to see if this actually exists, but it's the same in all SX10 ports that I can seen.

Edited some more: Just verified that set_zoom_speed is the cause of the reset.

Can someone with another firmware version test this script and see if it crashes too?
« Last Edit: 01 / July / 2009, 03:17:49 by cormac »