the sx10 porting thread - page 51 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

the sx10 porting thread

• 613 Replies
Re: the sx10 porting thread
« Reply #500 on: 08 / July / 2009, 03:29:08 »
Advertisements
Here's a version of achurch's 1.03a port that works with the existing build system.

http://drop.io/wltyjxn/asset/103a-zip

It includes the primary.bin for V1.03

NOTE: I've not had time to verify the addresses, so this may not work. I won't be able to get back to working on this until sometime Monday or Tuesday.

My changes are all in stubs_entry_2.S which was moved from the 1.02b port. Not all the addresses here may be correct. I changed the obvious ones.

Bug in v 1.02b porting??
« Reply #501 on: 08 / July / 2009, 05:27:49 »
Hi all

I finally got my SX10 with the recent "boom" of several firmware versions ported. Thanks!! to all the people who worked in it :)

My camera has firmware 1.02b (bought in Redcoon Spain on the 3rd of july, for those interested in this stadistic), and I installed CHDK build 0.9.8-782.

I'm mainly interested in RAW (everything works OK), but tested some other functions that looked interesting to me, including ISO override, and I think there is a bug here.

First of all I don't know if I'm missing something setting the ISO override, but I can't find any difference setting an ISO value below 50 (real ISO 50 is about ISO 80 "marketing"). Going from real ISO 50 to 10 in manual mode (keeping the same aperture and exposure time) makes no difference in the exposure, nor in the JPGs or the RAWs. I'm missing something?:
- Go to the "Extra photo operations" menu and set "Override ISO value" to 3 and "Value factor" to 10 to set ISO 30, or 15 and 1 to set ISO 15.
- Go back to shooting mode and "Canon OSD" shows one of "OEM" ISO (80, 100, 200...) while "CHDK OSD" shows ISO value selected (30 or 15 in the examples below) in red.
- When half pressing shutter button the "Canon OSD" shows the ISO value corrected (aprox. real ISO multiplied by 1.6: ISO 30 turns into ISO 50) and not one of the original ISO.
- I take the photo and when reviewing it the ISO displayed is the corrected one, and not one of the OEM ones.

Anyway, I think there is a bug, because:
- Return to the "Extra photo operations" menu and set "Value factor" to Off (AFAIK this disables ISO override).
- When half pressing shutter button, "Canon OSD" shows ALWAYS ISO 100. It doesn't care if it was set ISO 80, or 200, or whatever: when half pressing the button the ISO it seems to be forced to ISO 100.
- To solve this it's enough to go to Canon's ISO menu, go to another value of ISO different from the one selected, and turning back to this. Now everything goes OK.

It looks like a bug to me, not a big one, but I think it shouldn't be too hard to correct this.

Anyway, thanks to all who contributed to the porting of the many versions of firmware :)

P.S: excuse my poor english...

« Reply #502 on: 08 / July / 2009, 09:03:01 »
Here's a version of achurch's 1.03a port that works with the existing build system.

http://drop.io/wltyjxn/asset/103a-zip

The code crashes shortly after boot as is, but with these changes:

Code: [Select]
--- stubs_entry_2.S.old 2009-07-07 01:05:02 +0900
+++ stubs_entry_2.S     2009-07-08 21:49:31 +0900
@@ -7,16 +7,16 @@
 NHSTUB(kbd_read_keys, 0xFF821B14)
 NHSTUB(platformsub_kbd_fetch_data, 0xFF84B660)
 NHSTUB(kbd_read_keys_r2, 0xFF84AF6C)
-NHSTUB(qsort, 0xFFAB8288)
+NHSTUB(qsort, 0xFFAB829C)
 NHSTUB(strchr, 0xFF89B9C4)
-NHSTUB(strrchr, 0xFF9DF4D8)
+NHSTUB(strrchr, 0xFF9DF4EC)

NHSTUB(TurnOffBackLight, 0xFF88F32C)
 NHSTUB(vsprintf, 0xFF81CAE8)
 NHSTUB(VbattGet, 0xFF82046C)
 NHSTUB(GetZoomLensCurrentPoint, 0xFF9411D0)
-NHSTUB(GetZoomLensCurrentPosition, 0xFFA5B350)
+NHSTUB(GetZoomLensCurrentPosition, 0xFFA5B364)
 //NHSTUB(RefreshPhysicalScreen, 0xFF9DF0E0)
 NSTUB(RefreshPhysicalScreen, 0xFF9DF0F4)  // Partial match (30/32)
 NHSTUB(EnterToCompensationEVF, 0xFF825B10)
@@ -27,7 +27,7 @@
 NHSTUB(LEDDrive, 0xFF84AB48)
 NHSTUB(WriteSDCard, 0xFF92AA44)
 NHSTUB(PostLogicalEventForNotPowerType, 0xFF87ED3C)
-NHSTUB(apex2us, 0xFF9E01C8)
+NHSTUB(apex2us, 0xFF9E01DC)

// null sub
 // null sub - point these at nullsub_1 as labelled in IDA

it seems to run fine (and a comparison of stub addresses shows no changes). Thanks!

Offline reyalp

« Reply #503 on: 08 / July / 2009, 19:37:27 »
First of all I don't know if I'm missing something setting the ISO override, but I can't find any difference setting an ISO value below 50 (real ISO 50 is about ISO 80 "marketing"). Going from real ISO 50 to 10 in manual mode (keeping the same aperture and exposure time) makes no difference in the exposure, nor in the JPGs or the RAWs. I'm missing something?:
Nope, most (all ?) cams don't seem to go below this.
- Go to the "Extra photo operations" menu and set "Override ISO value" to 3 and "Value factor" to 10 to set ISO 30, or 15 and 1 to set ISO 15.
What you can set in the CHDK UI doesn't have anything to do with actual hardware limits.
« Last Edit: 09 / July / 2009, 18:32:52 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #504 on: 09 / July / 2009, 10:09:57 »
Thanks reyalp, but I asked about the ISO override because acording to the features chart, ISO goes from 10 to 8000 (I asume this are "real" ISO and not "Canon" ones), but I can't find any difference in exposure below ISO 50 "real" (ISO 80 "Canon"), that's why I asked if I was missing something or doing something wrong.

And the bug related to the "Canon" ISO showed when disabling ISO override I think it's a clear bug (but I'm still learning...).

Thank you again.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #505 on: 09 / July / 2009, 18:46:45 »
Thanks reyalp, but I asked about the ISO override because acording to the features chart, ISO goes from 10 to 8000 (I asume this are "real" ISO and not "Canon" ones),
The information on the wiki is almost certainly incorrect. If you feel that you've confirmed the real range by experiment, please feel free to update it.
And the bug related to the "Canon" ISO showed when disabling ISO override I think it's a clear bug (but I'm still learning...).
It's not unusual for the canon display to be confused by overrides. It would be interesting to know what ISO it actually uses if you shoot: 100 ? the last override value ? The previous value set in the canon UI ?

« Reply #506 on: 10 / July / 2009, 14:20:43 »
I've been playing with my SX10 102b version, build 778.  I notice that sometimes the "alt" button can fail to work.  In record review mode it seldom works, the gui does not show, the other keys are not detected by CHDK.  So there is some difference in the Canon software in this mode that is causing some real problems for CHDK.  Of course it is worth mentioning that CHDK is not really useful in this mode.
Jon

Offline reyalp

« Reply #507 on: 10 / July / 2009, 20:06:35 »
I notice that sometimes the "alt" button can fail to work.  In record review mode it seldom works, the gui does not show, the other keys are not detected by CHDK.
You are positive that it's not just the menu failing to draw ?
 So there is some difference in the Canon software in this mode that is causing some real problems for CHDK.  Of course it is worth mentioning that CHDK is not really useful in this mode.
Jon
What ? accessing alt in record mode is very important. reading, I failz at it!
« Last Edit: 11 / July / 2009, 00:35:12 by reyalp »

« Reply #508 on: 10 / July / 2009, 21:41:49 »
Hi,

You are right, in recreview_hold mode the menu does not draw, but the alt key is working.  One can tell this by using the zoom.  It does not work when the camera is in alt mode.  Other keys may be sensed by CHDK in this mode, I tried to write some software that could detect the jogdial in this mode, but it may be the software was wrong.

I meant that I don't know of any CHDK functionality that applies to recreview_hold mode.  By the way I don't think the recreview_hold address is correct for 102b.  I tried to write some software to work in recreview_hold mode and couldn't get it to recognize the mode.

Jon

I notice that sometimes the "alt" button can fail to work.  In record review mode it seldom works, the gui does not show, the other keys are not detected by CHDK.
You are positive that it's not just the menu failing to draw ?
  So there is some difference in the Canon software in this mode that is causing some real problems for CHDK.  Of course it is worth mentioning that CHDK is not really useful in this mode.
Jon
What ? accessing alt in record mode is very important.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #509 on: 11 / July / 2009, 00:34:41 »
Oh, I missed the recreview part :-[ My bad, gotta stop skimming posts...

I'm not even sure exactly how it's supposed to behave in recreview. FWIW, all the SX10 ports use the same address:
DEF(recreview_hold, 0xA78C + 0xDC)
I'm pretty sure variable addresses with higher and lower values are correct, so it's unlikely that it varies between SX10 firmwares. Watching it with misc debug vals (assuming you can get it to draw) may help.

This address is used in sub_FF977C78 (102b)