supplierdeeply

Moon image with Canon A710 IS

• 24 Replies

Offline tcollin

• SX30IS - A590IS - ELPH300HS - SX260HS
Re: Moon image with Canon A710 IS
« Reply #10 on: 29 / November / 2008, 07:22:49 »
Advertisements
This image was made with a SX100IS. It is composed of 110 high resolution jpg images taken with an intervalometer script. The addition was made with Registax 4.

« Reply #11 on: 06 / December / 2008, 19:14:38 »
Dear All,

Thanks for sharing your images. I've long been a user of CHDK as well as a lunaphile, so was greatly pleased by this thread. Recently I bought myself a APO66 refractor telescope and 32mm eyepiece upon which I have attached my a710is. At full optical zoom there is no vignetting and this is a shot I took this evening. Other than sharpening in photoshop and automatic adjustment of levels, it is straight out of the camera as jpeg. I intend to shoot .crw next and see if I can squeeze out any more detail.

Thanks, Nick

PS You can see the wonderful 'boiling' Clavius crater (posted by PS above) in minature towards the bottom of my image.
« Last Edit: 06 / December / 2008, 19:17:52 by leedsgreen »
a710is

« Reply #12 on: 13 / December / 2008, 16:20:44 »
Wow, this image looks great. An apochromatic telescope certainly makes a difference :)
The crater resolution is excellent, despite the relatively small magnification. With image stacking (and RAW images instead of JPG) you can definitely reveal more details, the more images you take, the better. I look forward seeing the next moon image you post, hopefully with image stacking :)

This is my latest moon image taken with my Canon A710, 185 RAW images, taken at ISO 200, shutter speed 1/400s.
I think this is as good as it gets with this camera without additional optics. Maybe i could squeeze more details if i manually select the best images, and then stack those together, but that is too much work.

I'm thinking if anyone has a Canon SX10 IS, with its 20x optical zoom, now that would be an interesting comparison :)
Although i don't think it could reach the level of detail your telescope is capable of, quality optics is quality optics :)

« Reply #13 on: 14 / December / 2008, 12:09:56 »
Ok, it can be done a little better :)

This image is composed from 160 RAW frames stacked together. The images were taken at ISO 100, shutter speed 1/250s, so because there is less noise in a ISO 100 image, more details are preserved in the original frame. Image brightness is smaller, but the contrast is better, so the craters and other detail are more visible.

« Reply #14 on: 14 / December / 2008, 18:16:49 »
« Last Edit: 14 / December / 2008, 18:21:55 by leedsgreen »
a710is

« Reply #15 on: 15 / December / 2008, 07:09:22 »
sorry about this post, i made a mistake.
read my next post...
« Last Edit: 15 / December / 2008, 07:13:43 by Dime1981 »

« Reply #16 on: 15 / December / 2008, 07:11:24 »
leedsgreen:

Once again, a great moon shot! Well done! It's amazing how smooth the surface of the moon looks in your images from a Canon A710IS. Are your images shown here 100% crops, or are they reduced in size?

About my stacking method:

I first do a batch conversion of the images using ufraw-batch to .png format, and i also crop the images using the same batch command. I do the crop to speed registax processing, because the larger images process much more slowly. So i get a smooth transition of the moon across the entire sequence in images with resolution 1280x960. I chose this resolution by experimenting, it captures the entire sequence of 7 minutes continuous shooting from one end to the other. But that is because the 6x magnification of the Canon A710 is small, in your case (i presume it is about 20x zoom) you can't benefit from the cropping since the moon is much larger. I do single point alignment in registax, and choosing a crater that is easily visible (has good contrast) and i choose the size of the rectangle so that the moon is entirely inside the rectangle (in your case that is a problem :) ) So you should be doing a multi-point allign: rectangle size 256, some good 5-6 craters, and they should be across the entire surface of the moon. Do not concentrate on one area only. It needs some experimenting to get the allignment correct.

Here is one user manual for Registax4: http://www.astronomie.be/registax/RegiStax4UserManual_Revision1.pdf

About the Sigma 800 lens:
Well if you compare the prices...

Sigma - Lenses
Amazon.com: Sigma 300-800mm f/5.6 EX DG HSM APO IF Ultra Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

It's much more clear now why those images are better :D
It's about $7000 street price!!! Your telescope is great for the money! (what is it by the way?)
Also the picture is taken with a DSLR and with excellent viewing conditions.

For that amount of money you can by this quality APO:
Takahashi America
and get the best moon images possible using a home observatory (and not just the moon) :)

« Reply #17 on: 15 / December / 2008, 15:06:23 »
Dime1981,

Thanks again for your encouragement and all the Registax information (and link to the user manual). No, my images aren't 100% crops, they are reduced in size for the web. With my set up, the full moon almost fills the entire frame and the 11-day-old moon picture in my last post is how it appears in the camera. I have a Sky-Watcher APO66 refractor which has a focal length of 400mm. The eyepiece I bought has a focal length of 32mm, which gives an overall mag of only (400mm/32mm=)12.5x. However, by using all of the a710is optical zoom, this gives as final mag of 75x, which frames the moon wonderfully! :D Actually, the reduced image looks better, when viewed at 100% it is easy to see blurring etc. but I'm not complaining! On good nights, it is possible to use 4x digital zoom to give 300x mag and I have attached my best effort to date. Once again, Clavius crater is taking centre stage (well, in the middle, about 2/3rds of the way down).

Yes, the Sigma lens is incredibly expensive and I don't know if I could ever justify (or afford) it! But the images are wonderful. My friend has a 400D and we plan to try and hook it up to my APO66 and use a 3x barlow to see what we can do.

Thanks again for your stacking method/workflow. When I next get the chance I will give it a go and post the results. I'm sure that even stacking just 10 frames or so, would really benefit the final image.

Regards, Nick
« Last Edit: 15 / December / 2008, 15:10:16 by leedsgreen »
a710is

Offline isbeorn

• S5 IS, A720 IS
    • isbeorn.com
« Reply #18 on: 05 / January / 2009, 16:27:19 »
This thread is not dead quite yet 8)

Here is the result of my capturing the moon with my S5 with a raynox 2.2x tele converter. It is made of some 30 frames put through registax.
I managed to get about 50 frames before the moon had moved across the whole frame at full tele, but the focus got messed up somehow towards the end so I'll probably try this again.

I am new to registax but it's amazing what it can do!
First I cropped my images so that the moon was centered in them (this seemed to help registax). Then I used 4 alignment points put on different distinct craters. This is a full crop:

« Reply #19 on: 05 / January / 2009, 17:31:31 »
Wow, this picture looks really amazing! It's unbelievable how many details can be seen here! And Registax helps very much of course. Also nice thing you did by cropping the moon to be in the center of the images. That surely helps Registax to better handle the alignment. Once again, very nice effort indeed!