Canon G10 or CHDK'ed A Series ? - General Chat - CHDK Forum

Canon G10 or CHDK'ed A Series ?

• 5 Replies
Canon G10 or CHDK'ed A Series ?
« on: 31 / October / 2008, 04:22:52 »
Advertisements
Hi all, I've spent the day reading through the forum and wiki, and i must say, i am very impressed with the work done here. A big thumbs up to all the devs and people who have lended a hand !

I'm currently looking for a replacement for my 4 yr old Nikon Coolpix 7900 (7pmx, 4x zoom) and was almost settled on a Canon G10 until I saw a post on Gizmodo about your work. What I am trying to understand is, will CHDK give me the PASM modes similar to what the G10 already has? if so, how hard/easy is it to get to those settings?

I've done a few photography courses, and am a fairly decent photographer, but do not have the money or time to invest in a full DSLR. I owned a Pentax MZ-50 film SLR, but that's all. I normally use my camera in "idiot mode" but would like to have the option of PASM settings.

Basically, I'm thinking that a CHDK'ed A series for arouns $250 aussie dollars, will provide me enough functionality to save me $400 bucks on stepping up to the G10.

So, for the CHDK experts, can you give me some more info about the complexity of the menu system and usability of the CHDK system.

Thanks in advance.
Greg.

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
Re: Canon G10 or CHDK'ed A Series ?
« Reply #1 on: 31 / October / 2008, 06:37:30 »
Hej,
Are you thinking about the A650 IS ? Or which one ?
Cause the two new A (1000 and 2000) don't have these PASM (canon calls them P Tv Av M), but only P and are not likely to have the CHDK ready very fast cause they are so new still.
Older A cams have those PASM without CHDK (except the lower cams like A470 or A580).

A650IS is like a plastic G9 without flash shoe, but is very similar (lens, sensor). The main difference with G10 is wide angle 28mm (older all have 35mm). Also have a look at A590 IS and A720IS (hard to find now), they both have those PASM modes without CHDK. Also G's have proprietary battery while A's use AA format batteries.
If you don't need the wide 28mm really, you can save the money for another canon cam.

Of course CHDK will also add nice things to A cams : RAW, histogram (G10 have it without CHDK), bracketing, shutter speed from 1/30k to 64s, scripts... 

« Reply #2 on: 31 / October / 2008, 06:46:28 »
thanks for the reply yvesson :)

So the only difference between A's and G's is 28/35mm and propriety/AA battery ?

I can still easily gget a 720IS in australia for about $250...hmmm...makes me think

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #3 on: 31 / October / 2008, 06:50:42 »
well, you can also buy a g10. no, make that two. and send one to a developer :)

« Reply #4 on: 31 / October / 2008, 07:07:01 »
riiiiiight :P

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
« Reply #5 on: 31 / October / 2008, 07:10:58 »
thanks for the reply yvesson :)

So the only difference between A's and G's is 28/35mm and propriety/AA battery ?

I can still easily gget a 720IS in australia for about $250...hmmm...makes me think

Hej,
They have also different sensor sizes and Mpixels counts, but the Mpixels/surface stays kinda the same and image quality isn't much affected imo. Except for A6xx, A's have 1/2.5" sensors and G's 1/1.7" like A650, but they also have way more Mpixels.
A720IS has a very good ratio quality/price.