USB SD Card Reader Malfunction - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

USB SD Card Reader Malfunction

• 2 Replies
USB SD Card Reader Malfunction
« on: 03 / November / 2008, 00:04:45 »
Advertisements
I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place and I'm not sure if this is a CHDK problem or a problem with Windows.

I have been a keen follower of the CHDK program and an avid user of the Morebest build for a while now with no problems at all.  I have recently returned from a month overseas and recieved the following error message when I plugged my 2GB SD card into my computer using an external USB card reader:

"One of the USB devices attached to your computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognise it."

No real explanation is offered an I am unable to access anything on my card or even view it through "My Computer" or "Computer Management".

All of my other USB devices (mouse, keyboard, mp3 player) still work properly and I am actually able to use the camera cable to download JPEG images (although I am unable to access CHDK or any RAW images that I took, which is my real concern).  I have tried with two different SD cards that I took with me on my trip and get the same result. 

I use an ACER laptop running VISTA at home and I have exactly the same problem with my desktop computer at work that runs Windows XP.

I have tried everything I can think of, including the obvious power down overnight trick, but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone experienced this problem before, or does anyone have any ideas on how I can access my SD card again?

Cheers
« Last Edit: 03 / November / 2008, 00:06:39 by Bellsy1000 »
IXUS 70 (SD1000)
Powershot G9

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
Re: USB SD Card Reader Malfunction
« Reply #1 on: 05 / November / 2008, 11:12:20 »
it's simple: your card reader is dead... not totally but not working correct
in the last two year i bough about 5 card readers:D
all with ALCOR chips
until i decided to buy a bit more expensive one... that still works fine...
but it has ALCOR this too...
« Last Edit: 05 / November / 2008, 11:16:09 by dzsemx »

Re: USB SD Card Reader Malfunction
« Reply #2 on: 05 / November / 2008, 16:46:54 »
Thanks for your help.  You were right.  I've wasted countles hours adjusting settings on my computers and playing around with all sorts of settings and drivers. It hadn't even occured to me that the reader was dead because the LED still lit up and the computer was responding to it (although not correctly).

I bought a better card reader yesterday and the problem is solved.

Cheers
IXUS 70 (SD1000)
Powershot G9