Extreme Noob Question & out of focus pictures - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Extreme Noob Question & out of focus pictures

• 2 Replies
Extreme Noob Question & out of focus pictures
« on: 07 / November / 2008, 07:05:56 »
Advertisements
Hi All

Just come across this interestng firmware so will be giving it a go this weekend. I've got a IXUS 750 so it looks like there is firmware for me to use thankfully.

Now, the question I have is (and excuse me if I don't use the correct terminology!  :-[) will this custom firmware enable me to take those photographs you see where the subject is in focus, but the scene behind is out of focus? Any advise on how to acheive this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Justin

Re: Extreme Noob Question & out of focus pictures
« Reply #1 on: 07 / November / 2008, 07:24:49 »
will this custom firmware enable me to take those photographs you see where the subject is in focus, but the scene behind is out of focus? Any advise on how to acheive this is greatly appreciated.

Hi Justin.

Because of the short focal-length of the lenses, point-and-shoot cameras have great depth-of-field.

CHDK will not help you produce a blurred background.

The only way to do it, is to attach your camera to a 'spotting scope' (as used by bird-watchers) and stand a long way away from your subject.

David

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
Re: Extreme Noob Question & out of focus pictures
« Reply #2 on: 07 / November / 2008, 16:15:15 »
that's not a software effect :)
it's 100% physics :P
With a 50mm 2F primary lens you can do such photos
with a compact camera you can get some blurred background when zoomed in (2x-3x) and shooting something-somebody closer than 2 meters