Autoboot with 8GB and HDHacker Possibillity

• 143 Replies
Re: Autoboot with 8GB and HDHacker Possibillity
« Reply #40 on: 23 / April / 2008, 16:26:38 »
Advertisements
Is it possible to partition the card:
Primary 1 8Gb FAT32 (for photos)
Primary 2 8Mb FAT12/16 (for CHDK)

My reasoning is that with card lock on I want to boot CHDK and with card lock off I want the camera to behave as normal (and still use the 8Gb partition for photos).

With the partitons the other way up (8Mb FAT12 first), with card lock on CHDK works perfectly but with card lock off the camera only sees the small partition for the photos.

Thanks for all the CHDK work!

Offline DataGhost

• EOS 40D, S5IS
    • DataGhost.com
« Reply #41 on: 24 / April / 2008, 08:35:10 »
Unfortunately not, you'll have to wait until I (or someone else) finishes up the work on the encryption tables so the 'firmware update' method can be used. When the lock is on, the camera will attempt to boot from the FIRST partition and the FIRST partition ONLY, even if it's invalid, broken or whatever. Windows will at least attempt to open the second primary partition if the first one is 'extended', but the camera does not care about something like that at all. Bottom line: if the first partition (drive layout does not matter, first partition table entry a.k.a. 0x1BE - 0x1CD) is not FAT12/FAT16, the camera won't run diskboot.bin.

« Reply #42 on: 24 / April / 2008, 13:22:07 »
@hajimemashoo:

If you have a moment, would you please post a step-by-step of your method for creating the two partitions?

I'm sure many folks would like to use their 8GB cards that way, but might not know how to accomplish what you've done...

TIA,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<

« Reply #43 on: 24 / April / 2008, 16:57:08 »
Thanks DataGhost
I now understand why - I wasn't aware it was the card lock which prompted the camera to boot DISKBOOT.BIN (and from the first partition [MBR record] only)

« Reply #44 on: 05 / May / 2008, 16:46:52 »
Hi everyone,

Go look at: MIND - FIELDS: careful where you stand: Canon S5 IS CHDK hack step-by-step tutorial

This is the Canon S5 IS CHDK hack step-by-step tutorial of @hajimemashoo. :o

Thank @hajimemashoo for the good work.

« Reply #45 on: 05 / May / 2008, 21:52:39 »
AWESOMETUT!!

Not something I'll try at night after a day at work though. It'll have to wait for the weekend when I've plenty of time to make mistakes.... :-)

Thanks hajimemashoo,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<

Offline DataGhost

• EOS 40D, S5IS
    • DataGhost.com
« Reply #46 on: 06 / May / 2008, 07:06:22 »
Oh, by the way... I had a look at my iPod again, it's got multiple partitions as well, though it's a 'removable' device. The first partition contains the firmware and is NOT visible by Windows. The type of that partition is 0x0 (nothing), I used that on my SD card for the first partition and it works like a charm. No need to make it 'extended' and lots easier to do, it's now easily possible with fdisk (linux). This is also useful because I noticed the 'garbage' inside the first partition is actually interpreted as partition data, so *insert device* thinks it's got a bunch of odd partitions. When you change the partition type to 0, Windows will ignore it (and use the large FAT32 partition) and the camera will boot CHDK just fine.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #47 on: 06 / May / 2008, 07:43:43 »
are there any experiences with 8gb (or even larger) cards on s3is? in the benchmark wiki page there is no entry bigger than 4 GB, so i figured i just ask here. using 8 GB on the s3is and also be able to use dataghosts way of "hiding" partitions would rock.

« Reply #48 on: 07 / May / 2008, 15:21:14 »
@DataGhost,

For those of us who have no idea what 0x0 partitions are, would it be possible to do a step-by-step walk through of how to make this work? (Preferably on Win2k or WinXP)...

TIA,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<

« Reply #49 on: 07 / May / 2008, 16:10:40 »
Hello.

I have read about CHDK long time ago but I have never owned a PowerShot series of Canon.

Not too long ago I purchased myself a Canon PowerShot A720 IS along with OCZ 8GB SDHC Class 6 SD card.

I played with Canon 32MB SD card to see if I could get this working and unfortunately with A720IS I needed to make the SDcard bootable so that was extra step for me.   But than again,,, it also makes it autolaunch the CHDK.  So it's cool.

Now having bought a 8GB SDHC, I just had to find a way to enable to it utilize entire capacity.  So I followed the guide from this link...
http://mind-fields-ahead.blogspot.com/2008/04/canon-s5-is-chdk-hack-step-by-step.html 
This site made it so easy to follow with what I think is a must! ScreenShots for you to guide you through the process.

After doing all the process on my Vista machine everything worked!

Now here is the part that isn't working on my PC side.
I can't read my SD card from my computer!
« Last Edit: 07 / May / 2008, 16:15:18 by xxgg »