Autoboot with 8GB and HDHacker Possibillity - page 7 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Autoboot with 8GB and HDHacker Possibillity

• 143 Replies
Re: Autoboot with 8GB and HDHacker Possibillity
« Reply #60 on: 03 / June / 2008, 07:59:07 »
Advertisements
I have the feeling that the two partitions trick is slowing down the write speed of the card: with a TX1 I'm experiencing a quicker buffer overflow when recording video.
Anyone else noticed card slowdowns?

Moreover, which cluster size gives better write speed?

Bigger clusters give little speed improvement.
You can use huge clusters, since the camera produces only big files, not small ones.

Offline chrish

• SD870IS
« Reply #61 on: 03 / June / 2008, 09:24:15 »
Sorry if this is a dumb question but does anyone know if shkins method above works on MS Vista? I'm not the most tech savy and am a bit concerned I might do something wrong or screw something up if I'm not careful? Thanks!

« Reply #62 on: 03 / June / 2008, 10:02:13 »
While it's always good to be careful, especially when modifying partitions and formatting, you can't really do any harm to an SD card (unless you physically damage it somehow).  :'(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<

Offline chrish

• SD870IS
« Reply #63 on: 03 / June / 2008, 12:39:45 »
Just tried this and setup.exe for Beeblebrox didn't work. I'm running Vista, could this be the problem? Also in step two it says "2. Start CMD.EXE in the folder where the programs were unzipped." -How exactly do you do this?
Sorry if this all seems basic but any additional help for us non-techy types would be most apreciated! (I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there with 8G cards that would be most thankful for a bit of extra help.) Many thanks again.

Chris

Offline BB

« Reply #64 on: 03 / June / 2008, 13:02:07 »
Regarding CMD.exe....

Push the <START> then <Run...> buttons in the (OPEN) line type CMD (or cmd or command--they are all the same thing).

You will now get a "DOS Window"... In the DOS Window, you will need to change your directory where your setup.exe is stored. Such as:

c:
cd \beeblebrox           (if your program is stored in c:\beeblebrox
(run whatever program you need here)

-Bill

« Reply #65 on: 03 / June / 2008, 14:28:31 »
I dunno. I'm still lost as to how to use aefdisk. I just had my laptop puke on me and restart into disk check mode (no thank you! # partition 120GB long PITA).
I have no experience with the "DOS window".

...Does a registry change need to preclude any of this?
Whoa-Hey! Careful where you point that thing. You're gonna shoot someone!

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/DoF_Stacking

« Reply #66 on: 03 / June / 2008, 20:16:58 »
Quote from: chrish
Just tried this and setup.exe for Beeblebrox didn't work. I'm running Vista, could this be the problem?

What is the error message? You probably need administrative privileges to install Beeblebrox.

Quote from: Psychokitty
I dunno. I'm still lost as to how to use aefdisk.

Try to run aefdisk32.exe without switches. It will show you all things you can do with it. The main thing is to figure out the disc number corresponding to your card. Then it is pretty safe to run anything you like as long as every command is applied to the correct drive. There is no need to mess around registry at all.

« Reply #67 on: 03 / June / 2008, 20:40:23 »
Quote from: shkin
Try to run aefdisk32.exe without switches. It will show you all things you can do with it. The main thing is to figure out the disc number corresponding to your card.
I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by "without switches".
Whoa-Hey! Careful where you point that thing. You're gonna shoot someone!

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/DoF_Stacking

Offline adcz

• Canon S5 | Before Thou Smiteth Me, Readeth Sig
    • OSFlower
« Reply #68 on: 03 / June / 2008, 21:45:01 »
hmm...regarding putting chdk on cards > 8GB, I believe CardTricks now does it automatically (at least that's what it claims in its About Section). Anybody try? I only have a 4gig, and it seems to be working with FAT16 :) luckily
Email me at adz@jewc.org for questions/comments/etc or aim me at adzempire!
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

If you wanna applaud, no reason necessary, I know I'm wonderful :P

« Reply #69 on: 03 / June / 2008, 23:20:37 »
Quote from: shkin
Try to run aefdisk32.exe without switches. It will show you all things you can do with it. The main thing is to figure out the disc number corresponding to your card.
I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by "without switches".

aefdisk32.exe is a command line app. You pass parameters to it in command line itself (e.g. aefdisk32.exe 1 /show). If you run it without any parameters it will show you the help info about all switches (parameters ) you can utilize. Also, there is a PDF file which comes with it. It has all switches explained.