Autoboot with 8GB and HDHacker Possibillity - page 14 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Autoboot with 8GB and HDHacker Possibillity

• 143 Replies

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Autoboot with 8GB and HDHacker Possibillity
« Reply #130 on: 08 / February / 2009, 14:38:09 »
Advertisements
Just to complete the thread for others...

To the "Lexar bit flip" tool mentioned by ac17:
Yes, the Lexar app changes the controller firmware of the device.

The Windows Mass Storage Driver normally used for such removable USB devices then get's the
"Hi, i'm a hard disc device !" information from the USB stick's controller, then Windows treats the stick / card
like an external hard disc drive & shows multiple partitions.

You can't manipulate the device this way without a special tool from the manufacturer, it also modifies the hardware of the device.
The method i mentioned earlier in this threat has the same result, but it exchanges the Windows standard driver with a modified 'hard disc' driver...canon-s5-is-chdk-hack-step-by-step

« Reply #131 on: 11 / February / 2009, 15:23:04 »
Hi all,
I had very good help from this thread, having just got 8GB micro sd (with adapter for my s3). I just used the SDMINSTE and no problems!
(Even if I do not have the source code...) and in Vista! :blink:
« Last Edit: 11 / February / 2009, 15:56:34 by fingalo »

Autoboot with 16GB and CHDK
« Reply #132 on: 15 / March / 2009, 14:37:39 »
Canon A590 with Transcend16GB SDHC card

This is what i found worked for me - before I saw the post about Lexars' USB formatting tool (Doh!), which is probably easier but since I already learned this stuff I thought I'd share anyway.

I played with this most of the day got everything working; WinXP Pro SP2 only sees the image files (jpg & crw), my Canon A590 autoloads CHDK but shows all the card's free space.

This is just a verification and maybe a little clarification of Wind's post Reply #122 on: 24 / September / 2008.

I've used computers for a long time but certainly am NOT a disk expert, but this made sense to me, so...

I used the StereoData Maker "sdminste.exe" to create 2 partitions and let it go ahead and install the Stereo version of CHDK.

Using Beeblebrox, (see Wind's post, aove) I found the flash card (Disk #3 in my case) by looking at all the Disk #s shown and matching the number with the one that shows a total size close to my card.  That's pretty easy - Disk 0 showed 305,245MB (that's not it!), Disk 1 showed 114,498MB(nope) Disk 2 showed 95,393MB & Disk 3 showed 15,319MB (that's it).

Once found Disk #3 = SD card, BeetleBrox showed 2 partitions, 4096 sectors & 31384574 sectors. I changing partition 1 from type 01 to type 00, which hides it from WinXP & from the camera. When Parititon 1 is set as type 01, that's the only partition WinXP sees, so I set it to 01 and copied the DISKBOOT.BIN from the a590-101b-0.9.7-719-full.zip (that has the stuff I want) and pasted it into the 2MB, overwriting the Stereodata version of DISKBOOT.BIN   

I then used CardTricks to make that partition bootable. Then used BeetleBrox again to change the type back to 00. I haven't mentioned every time I had to remove & reinsert the SD card but basically it's anytime you change the partition Type, so that Windows can see the change.    

Changing my SD card's 1st partition back to Type 00, WinXP ignores it and all you see is the big-bunch-of-pictures partition. You only need to play with the partition type again if you want to change things in the Camera's boot partition - such as updating the CHDK DISKBOOT.BIN file.

From Wind's post

Well, this is better solution working under WinXP (do not know if it is also OK under Win Vista):

- you can any time change that code (see below) from 01 to 00 and back. Principle is, that Win XP ignore 00 code but CANON will see it. So: in CANON it download CHDK and change to second partition, in Windows (using card reader) it ignores first partition and goes to second=big one, where all data is

7. Run Beeblebrox NT. Choose your drive from the drop-down (CAREFULL!! otherwise bye bye your hard disk data). Since Beeblebrox NT starts numbering from 0 the number of your drive should be the one you found with aefdisk32 minus 1, which is 4 in my case. Change the type of the first partition on this drive to 00 (from 01, probabbly) and save the changes. Then close Beeblebrox NT.

8. Take the card off your card reader, put it back.

9. Windows now will see your second partition and show the first as unallocated space.)

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #133 on: 15 / March / 2009, 17:48:22 »
You still use SDMinste.exe - so why don't you swap also the partitions with it ?

*Edit: Welcome here in the CHDK forum  :)
« Last Edit: 15 / March / 2009, 17:50:51 by fe50 »

« Reply #134 on: 29 / March / 2009, 07:12:37 »
Hello,

Just reporting my success here. Using the step-by-step guide posted on this thread with aefdisk, breezebox and cardtricks, i can now boot chdk automaticaly and have windows watch the correct partition on my 8gb sdhc! All done on Vista 32bit.

Great job! thank to everyone!

EDIT: On a SX10is :D

« Reply #135 on: 02 / May / 2009, 19:49:12 »
we must do to work in windows vista x64?????
i don't work multipartition in one drive, vista only see first partition (fat 16)
help me please

thanks for all

« Reply #136 on: 09 / August / 2009, 17:38:14 »
First, as a Noob here, I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their hard-won experience with the rest of us.

I came looking for a way to use an 8Gb card and CHDK on my G9. I found it. I read earlier in this thread that the method listed here didn't work for someone:

http://mind-fields-ahead.blogspot.com/2008/04/canon-s5-is-chdk-hack-step-by-step.html

I found that it worked perfectly in XP using a Sandisk Extreme III and an Iogear USB reader.

It didn't work for me at first, and then I re-read the steps. I found that Step 3 part 6 isn't clear. when you are pasting the registry key info into cfadisk.inf, you are deleting 7 lines and only replacing part of the 8th line. The section"%Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install," needs to stay there. Also, I found that the install asks for cfadisk.sys, which isn't really mentioned. Other than that, it worked great.

One addition that I made is that once I had my card formatted with 2 partitions, I ghosted it with Acronis True Image. Now if I accidentally format the card, all I have to do is a restore from Acronis, and i'm back in business. I can also make additional cards if needed. I'm sure any ghosting program would work, I just had True Image lying around already.

Offline albo

« Reply #137 on: 24 / March / 2010, 12:00:01 »
re: shkin's use of beeblebrox, the problem there is that it becomes a pain to update CHDK - you have to reset the partition type again in order to get access to the fat16 partition.

« Reply #138 on: 07 / June / 2010, 08:55:39 »
Also, there is a complete, step by step guide for 8Gb SDHC autoboot install at http://init.sh/?p=140

« Reply #139 on: 27 / November / 2010, 16:59:56 »
4. Create new partitions. Example: aefdisk32 5 /delall /pri:16:6 /pri:0:c /activate:1. This command deletes all current partitions from the card, creates first 16MB FAT16 partition and whatever is left on the card as FAT32 partition, activates partition 1.

5. Find the drive letter assigned to the first partition and format it. (You can use either command line format or do it through Disk Management GIU). In my case the letter was I: for the drive.

So I finally got around to trying this on my 8GB Sandisk card. I'm in Win7 x64 so I used aefdisk64, which seemed to work fine. The problem is that I cannot assign a drive letter to the 16MB Active Primary partition created by aefdisk64. Disk Management let me format it fine but when I try to assign a drive letter I get a failure popup which says "The Parameter Is Incorrect". Disk Management shows the 16MB partition as Healthy, Active, Primary, but File Manager does not see it. Neither does Cardtricks.

<edit>: I tried formatting and assigning a drive letter from aefdisk. I got a "logical partition not found error" or something like that - which scared me. I could not use aefdisk after that, even when closing the cmd session and opening a new one. So I rebooted and when I was back in Win7... all of a sudden there was the assigned drive letter. So I loaded Cardtricks and had it do its thing.

I can't seem to find the Windows version of Beeblebrox NT. Can I just use the /hidefat:n command in aefdisk?
« Last Edit: 27 / November / 2010, 17:45:40 by tony22 »