Autoboot with 8GB and HDHacker Possibillity - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Autoboot with 8GB and HDHacker Possibillity

• 143 Replies

Offline DataGhost

• EOS 40D, S5IS
    • DataGhost.com
Re: Autoboot with 8GB and HDHacker Possibillity
« Reply #10 on: 16 / January / 2008, 11:25:47 »
Advertisements
Well, I guess you could place the .FIR/.FI2 file on the FAT32 partition and use that when autoboot is unavailable... and then have CHDK swap the partitions :)

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #11 on: 17 / January / 2008, 10:43:19 »
BTW, my PDA (Pocket PC 2003 powered) can access both partitions on SD card - can be used as expensive card reader :).

edit: I also make dual partition support for A710. It is a bit easier than in DRYOS, support for other VxWorks cameras can be easy added.
This file contain InitFileModules task replacement (mixed assembly & C).
« Last Edit: 18 / January / 2008, 19:48:20 by ewavr »

Offline obsidian

• A710IS
« Reply #12 on: 19 / January / 2008, 09:04:34 »
Where shall I place the "mount.c"? Shall I modify any "makefile"?  i have solved it myself.
« Last Edit: 19 / January / 2008, 09:08:22 by obsidian »
A710IS + 4GB SanDisk Ultra II

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #13 on: 24 / January / 2008, 08:54:48 »
CHDK for A710 and G7 now supports second FAT32 partition (with partition swap item in misc. menu). Test version here - http://ewavr.nm.ru/hdk/for_test/part/

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
« Reply #14 on: 24 / January / 2008, 10:30:10 »
awesome. :)
now we're waiting for tests from those that have sdhc cards to know what the video size limits are as well :) . 4 GB would be nice :)
will this partitioning and formatting work on all sdhc cards?
« Last Edit: 24 / January / 2008, 10:36:53 by a710is »

Offline DataGhost

• EOS 40D, S5IS
    • DataGhost.com
« Reply #15 on: 24 / January / 2008, 20:21:55 »
I don't really know about current limits (my S5 already goes up to 4GB) but regardless of the card size, the video limit will *ALWAYS* be 4GB, that's a FAT32 limitation. I guess the only way to fix this is to continue in another file after shooting 4GB but I don't think it'll be an easy fix.

« Reply #16 on: 13 / February / 2008, 13:27:32 »
Yeah, it works, but there are drawbacks. An SD card is a normal block device, with a partition table and everything. What I did was... create a small (32MB) FAT16 partition, bootable and with CHDK on it, create a second, large (~8GB) FAT32 partition for your pictures. Now I hooked the boot code so it would show the camera the FAT32 partition, so it doesn't know about the FAT16 partition after CHDK has loaded. That's all fine, it works transparently. Joy!
[..]

Uh, how do you partition the SD card conveniently?
Oh, and how do you 'hook the boot code' (so it would show the camera the FAT32 partition, so it doesn't know about the FAT16 partition after CHDK has loaded)?
« Last Edit: 13 / February / 2008, 14:22:12 by dohduhdah »

« Reply #17 on: 14 / February / 2008, 09:57:28 »
Great, that's what I was looking for. I will test it right away :)

Edit: confirmed, this works. Still it isn't optimal: I have to attach the cardreader with the card inserted for my computer to recognize the volume (else it will just not work until I go to Device manager -> Generic SD Card reader -> Properties -> Policies, and even then it will not detect the partitions until I click 'Populate' in the 'Volumes' tab of the same window). I can't just remove the card, either, it'll still think the volumes are there until I remove the *entire* cardreader with 'Safely remove hardware'.
This goes for *ANY* SD card inserted, so I'm reverting. The driver comes with a source, so it might be possible to tweak it so it'll do the job as I want, but I don't have any experience with Windows drivers.

It'll look like this:

Rather than the 4 drives I normally get (with CANON_DC as N: ).

Will this work for vista as well as XP?

Offline DataGhost

• EOS 40D, S5IS
    • DataGhost.com
« Reply #18 on: 18 / February / 2008, 13:55:35 »
[..]

Using any ordinary disk-partitioning tool, however you're probably going to have to use a partitiontable dump, a hex editor and/or a linux machine, since Windows won't let you do this to the SD card directly and I doubt any tools using the Volume Manager are be able to.
Oh, and how do you 'hook the boot code' (so it would show the camera the FAT32 partition, so it doesn't know about the FAT16 partition after CHDK has loaded)?
It needs to be in CHDK so you'll have to find a way to adapt my/existing code for your specific model, I guess. The way I set it up, it'll automatically choose the first FAT32 partition it can find, so it should be perfectly possible to include this in any CHDK version without any problems.

[..]

I guess not, Vista seems to be picky about drivers. Apart from that, I wouldn't recommend that method, it's hard, stupid and not really friendly. There are other ways to do it, though they haven't been implemented yet :p

« Reply #19 on: 18 / February / 2008, 16:36:41 »
[..]

Using any ordinary disk-partitioning tool, however you're probably going to have to use a partitiontable dump, a hex editor and/or a linux machine, since Windows won't let you do this to the SD card directly and I doubt any tools using the Volume Manager are be able to.
It needs to be in CHDK so you'll have to find a way to adapt my/existing code for your specific model, I guess. The way I set it up, it'll automatically choose the first FAT32 partition it can find, so it should be perfectly possible to include this in any CHDK version without any problems.

[..]

I guess not, Vista seems to be picky about drivers. Apart from that, I wouldn't recommend that method, it's hard, stupid and not really friendly. There are other ways to do it, though they haven't been implemented yet :p

Ok. I guess I might be able to partition the SD card with gparted. Is there an easy version of CHDK to download that might work with a canon powershot a720 with an 8 gb SDHC card? Otherwise I think I'll just use it formatted as a 4 GB card (which seems less complicated) until a convenient solution exists to use CHDK and the full 8 GB capacity of the card.
Thx for the response.