supplierdeeply

A1000IS porting...

• 297 Replies
  • Publish
    Re: A1000IS porting...
    « Reply #30 on: 04 / December / 2008, 01:00:08 »
    Advertisements
    I edited A720 camera profile and used it for A1000IS. You just need to rename the camera(setting->camera options->cameraname, shortname) and change resolution(to 3648x2736 in both sensor size and jpeg size). With this I could get them displayed in dng4ps2 but after covert the images displayed were incorrect.

The images opened properly in picassa3 properly and in 1-2 sec the display changes to jig-jag color.

I am right now in the process of doing color profile calculation. I will let you know once I get good results. It is good if you also can do this simultaneously so that we can get a good color profile. You can read the following thread on how to do it. New project: camera color profile calculation
    Just for clarification to other people...  the (setting->camera options->cameraname, shortname) is to be done in dng4ps2, not on the camera or CHDK.

Moving on...

aha, that did the trick so that the files are showing on dng4ps2, thank you Diablo. I'll check how the files behave on other RAW Editing Software and post back.

Now, I noticed that on the A720 profile, the sensor size has a bigger resolution than on the JPG file. Should it be this way for the A1000 also, or are both resolutions the same for this camera model?

As far as the color profile calculation, I've already taken the pictures and sent both the RAW and JPG to the developer of dng4ps2, since I couldn't get the files to show on the browser. In about 24 hours I'll be posting the results that I got for the color matrix on the forums.

I have to go to sleep now... just went out for my birthday celebration and drank quite a few beers here in Brazil... and I have to go to work in about 4 hours. I'm always surprised at how coherent I seem to be when writing on the internet, no matter how drunk I am. Please tell me if I'm just fooling myself.

/rant

Moving on... thanks for the help Diablo.

I'll give an update of my RAW situation asap. :)

~ Ralph

UPDATE: I'm having the same problem as you Diablo, I try to open it with a few programs and the picture/thumbnails show up correctly for about 2-3 seconds, then a jigsaw/noise image appears.

Picasa and RAW Photo Desk
    - Jigsaw appears

SILKYPIX
    - Nothing appears

Photoshop CS3
    - Says that it can't complete the request (open the document) because it is not the right type of document

Raw Therapee
    - Shows jigsaw thumbnails

tomorrow I'll post the color profile calculation on the right thread. For now, I'm going to bed.

Once again (and I don't mean to sound redundant), thank you for your help Diablo.
    « Last Edit: 04 / December / 2008, 01:17:18 by tyrantt23 »

Offline reyalp

• Publish
    « Reply #31 on: 04 / December / 2008, 01:58:47 »

Just for clarification to other people...  the (setting->camera options->cameraname, shortname) is to be done in dng4ps2, not on the camera or CHDK.

Moving on...

aha, that did the trick so that the files are showing on dng4ps2, thank you Diablo. I'll check how the files behave on other RAW Editing Software and post back.

Now, I noticed that on the A720 profile, the sensor size has a bigger resolution than on the JPG file. Should it be this way for the A1000 also, or are both resolutions the same for this camera model?
    Sensor size is (almost ?) always larger than jpeg size. Not only is the actual data area a bit larger, there are black border pixels as well. You may be able to figure out the correct dimensions from the hook_raw_size() value, assuming that has been correctly determined.

You should not expect any third party programs to understand the .crw files from a new CHDK port. They aren't canon format CRWs, they are just a dump of the sensor.
    Don't forget what the H stands for.

• Publish
    « Reply #32 on: 06 / December / 2008, 22:37:52 »
    Just gave a try to run multipurpose motion detection from here UBASIC/Scripts: Multipurpose Motion Detection - CHDK Wiki. Amazing to see it worked.

tyrantt23, Any updates on color profile calculation?

Folks, apart from RAW support, please tell me if you face any bugs.

Moderators, When and how should I make this into auto build?

-Diablo

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
      • PhyreWorX
  • Publish
    « Reply #33 on: 07 / December / 2008, 04:01:28 »
    well, if all tests go well, you are to provide a patch/diff directly from svn. we then comitt this diff to the svn -> autobuild.

Offline EyP3

• Publish
    « Reply #34 on: 07 / December / 2008, 09:39:13 »
    Hi Diablo,
    congratulations to your success!
    I followed this thread for a very special purpose. I do hobby aerial photography from a model airplane and I am currently looking for a new compact digital camera. The A1000 IS looked nice to me, except that it had no manual modes, especially shutter priority, which is very much needed. The other very useful feature would be an interval continuous shooting mode, say to shoot a picture every 1 sec with exposure metering every time. Could such a thing be programmed with the CHDK support?
    The most important feature for me however would be to be able to set shutter priority with a certain shutter time and ideally also to set focus to infinity. Is this a feasible feature now?
    Many thanks for your answer!
    Norbert

• Publish
    « Reply #35 on: 07 / December / 2008, 16:35:53 »
    There's still the "bug" of the menus staying onscreen when leaving. Is this a build-in bug by CHDK? Till now, I really like to see the progress you've made, Diablo! Keep it up!

• Publish
    « Reply #36 on: 07 / December / 2008, 17:51:38 »
    I have been watching this post for the same reason as EyP3, (post #34)- RC aerial photography. I am currently using an A570is with CHDK with great results.The A1000is would be an improvement in megapixels, which does increase printing options, and is lighter by 25 grams. As Norbert said in his post, shutter priority is critical to getting sharp photos from a moving camera that is attached to an RC airplane.      
    I would also like to say thanks to Diablo for his hard work in the development of CHDK for
    the A1000is camera. This could be my next camera.

Jim

• Publish
    « Reply #37 on: 07 / December / 2008, 20:11:44 »
    Diablo, I had taken the picture in JPEG and RAW, but since I couldn't get the RAW to open, I didn't know what my next step should be for the profile calculation. Also, I followed the directions stated on the color profile calculation thread
    but since the camera doesn't show at exact what optical zoom it's at, I took the picture at what I "thought" was mid-zoom. I hope this doesn't skew the results.

Here, I uploaded both the JPEG and the RAW to this link:
    http://www.zshare.net/download/524077889f256482/ let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

As far as bugs, the other day my camera froze while I was meddling with the CHDK menus. The LCD screen locked and the lenses were sticking out. I wasn't able to turn the camera off, so I had to take the batteries out. When I turned the camera back on, the lenses retracted and everything went back to normal. I tried to replicate the freeze later, but couldn't get it to do that.

The only other thing I have to say is also about the menus not refreshing. I have to push the shutter button halfway for the camera to focus and refresh the screen. Is there some code available to force CHDK to refresh the screen each time you push the "Func. Set" button while navigating the CHDK menu? Everything else seems to be working really well. I'll run some more tests tomorrow with forced aperture, iso, and exposure settings. Great work on the port Diablo. :)

Propfly and EyP3, you can already set the focus to infinity with the default camera firmware, as well as setting the shutter time from 1 to 15 seconds. What you can't do is directly set the aperture, shutter speed or a combination of the two in manual mode. Here's a very useful link that reviews the Canon A1000 IS. It's from that review that I decided to buy the A1000 instead of the A590.

• Publish
    « Reply #38 on: 07 / December / 2008, 20:16:54 »
    I also cant open the RAW. It's corrupted...
    Canon PowerShot SX110 IS
    CHDK: at Autobuild now
    Wiki: SX110IS

Offline EyP3

• Publish
    « Reply #39 on: 08 / December / 2008, 04:48:24 »
    tyrantt23,
    thanks for the link, for me it was also that review that had me made considering the A1000 :-).
    I downloaded the user manual, but I could not find where I would set the focus to infinity (except setting landscape mode). On page 88 it says one can set the shutter speed to make the image darker or brighter. That would be not very useful. I need  shutter priority to adjust aperture / ISO accordingly to my chosen shutter time, say 1/1000 sec. As I don't have the camera, I cannot check this. Any help?
    Thanks
    Norbert

« Last Edit: 08 / December / 2008, 16:48:26 by EyP3 »