A1000IS porting...

• 297 Replies
  • Publish
    Re: A1000IS porting...
    « Reply #70 on: 18 / December / 2008, 11:28:46 »
    Advertisements
    I couldn't work on the bugs posted for a couple of weeks now.  Also I am going for a 10-day vacation. Sorry for being lazy in uploading the diff/patch to make this camera's CHDK available on autobuild. I will be doing it in the new year.
    Hope to see more bugs reported when I come back.

It would be great if someone can get the color profiling done for this camera to be used for RAW conversion.
    « Last Edit: 18 / December / 2008, 11:30:17 by diablo »

Offline EyP3

• Publish
    « Reply #71 on: 18 / December / 2008, 11:37:06 »
    Diablo,
    have great Christmas holidays!
    Many thanks for your work!
    Norbert

Offline EyP3

• Publish
    « Reply #72 on: 18 / December / 2008, 16:09:38 »

Well, to me it looks like I found one.

A 1000 IS, Firmware Rev 100b

Aperture override seems not to work correctly.

My settings:

- 'P' or 'AUTO' mode
    - any ISO value, e.g. AUTO ISO
    - Disable Overrides 'Off' or 'disable'
    - all overrides 'off' (except override ap), custom ISO not enabled
    - override aperture set to e.g. '3.17'
    - displayed (top left) override aperture: AV: 3.17
    - displayed (center bottom) and used aperture: 8

other override values of aperture wouldn't work either
    automatic aperture with 'disable overrides' set to 'on' would be 2.77

Could somebody confirm this bug?

Thanks
    Norbert
    « Last Edit: 19 / December / 2008, 03:56:04 by EyP3 »

• Publish
    « Reply #73 on: 20 / December / 2008, 00:16:37 »
    I couldn't work on the bugs posted for a couple of weeks now.  Also I am going for a 10-day vacation. Sorry for being lazy in uploading the diff/patch to make this camera's CHDK available on autobuild. I will be doing it in the new year.

It would be great if someone can get the color profiling done for this camera to be used for RAW conversion.
    Don't be silly Diablo, we're already really glad that the CHDK port for this camera is coming a long way. I hope you have fun on your vacation... enjoy it.  :xmas

As far as the color profiling, I'm needing some help with what step I need to take next. I've already taken the RAW/Jpeg pictures of the color palette, but I don't know what to do from there.

From what I've read, I need to be able to open the RAW to get the matrix values for the color profile, but from what I understand, RAW can't be opened until the color profile is done. I've tried a pletora of different programs, but nothing works.  So its like a "what comes first, the chicken or the egg" type of question.

If some CHDK whizz could point me in the right direction of what I need to do with the RAW/Jpeg of the color palette, I'll gladly take care of it. Thanks. :)

Aperture override seems not to work correctly.

The same happens on my camera. I used your values and the same happened, even when I changed the aperture value.

Note:
    I have my CHDK to "Show Real Aperture Value" ("Av" on top right) and it always displays 2.68 no matter which aperture I try to set it to.
    So here's the break down of the values that show on the camera with the settings posted by EyP3:
    - top left: Aperture chosen on override aperture
    - center bottom: always 8
    - top right: always 2.68

Can someone else confirm this?

Offline EyP3

• Publish
    « Reply #74 on: 20 / December / 2008, 05:03:40 »
    - top right: always 2.68

Can someone else confirm this?

Yes, confirmed. Always 2.68
    (Btw., if anybody wants to try: the clock display has to be turned off, otherwise the values wouldn't show)

Thanks for checking.
    Norbert

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
  • Publish
    « Reply #75 on: 20 / December / 2008, 07:03:43 »
    All Canon cameras without aperture priority mode have no real diaphragm, only ND filter (ND Filter - CHDK Wiki) - why a1000/a2000 should be an exclusion?

If some CHDK whizz could point me in the right direction of what I need to do with the RAW/Jpeg of the color palette, I'll gladly take care of it.

For example, DNG4PS-2 0.2.3 Beta 16, settings->camera options (add new camera)->calc. color profile. Read all instrunction on web page .

Offline EyP3

• Publish
    « Reply #76 on: 20 / December / 2008, 09:59:20 »
    All Canon cameras without aperture priority mode have no real diaphragm, only ND filter

Then the aperture overrides wouldn't make much sense either? Too bad.
    How is this handled in CHDK normally with these types of cameras?

Norbert

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
      • fe50
  • Publish
    « Reply #77 on: 20 / December / 2008, 10:40:59 »
    All Canon cameras without aperture priority mode have no real diaphragm, only ND filter

The aperture things are disabled then (defines in camera.h), only ND filter related things are enabled (e.g. no Av bracketing menu item, only Tv bracketing, additionally ND filter menu...)

When looking directly into the optics (use a strong light, e.g. a pocket lamp) you should see either the aperture changing or the ND filter swinging in & out.
    If there's only a ND filter the Canon OSD has only 2 F-stops, e.g. F/2.8 (ND filter off) and F/8.0 (ND filter active, swung in) - only with the zoom you'll get other F-stops...

Offline EyP3

• Publish
    « Reply #78 on: 20 / December / 2008, 10:54:02 »
    When looking directly into the optics (use a strong light, e.g. a pocket lamp) you should see either the aperture changing or the ND filter swinging in & out.

Just tried that, it's obviously the ND filter kicking in ...  :(
    Thanks for the explanation!
    Norbert

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
  • Publish
    « Reply #79 on: 20 / December / 2008, 11:23:48 »

This is all correct and fine, but still it doesn't necessarily invalidates the idea of aperture override in such cameras.

As an example, I own an IXUS950 that lacks iris aperture. Still, I'd like to be able to set "shutter priority" for shots of rapid motion. How would I go about it? Setting "ND filter out" override? But that invalidates camera's exposure metering, so I'd have to go completely manual.  It'd also invalidate the LCD preview.

My solution is this -- define "shutter_priority" and set it in the menus, and then:
    Code: [Select]
    void shooting_expo_param_override(void){
    // NOTE: should probably check for tv and ND overrides, flash mode, etc... Or use the brain when shooting!..
     extern int shutter_priority;
     short av,tv;
     if (shutter_priority) {
      _GetPropertyCase(PROPCASE_AV, &av, sizeof(av));
      if (av>512) { // Ixus950: ND filter is used  (max without ND = 480, min with ND = 563)
       av = av - 275; // remove the filter (275/96 = 2.86 full stops in Ixus950)
       _SetPropertyCase(PROPCASE_AV, &av, sizeof(av));
       _GetPropertyCase(PROPCASE_TV, &tv, sizeof(tv));
       tv = tv + 275; // compensate exposure
       _SetPropertyCase(PROPCASE_TV, &tv, sizeof(tv));
      }
     }
    }