Support for the canon 5D mark II - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum

Support for the canon 5D mark II

• 7 Replies

Offline lyrd

Support for the canon 5D mark II
« on: 28 / November / 2008, 04:37:37 »
Advertisements
I just found these forums and it fits the bill perfectly so I'm wondering if there will be support for the 5D II?

I have lots of ideas for improvements on the 5D II (mostly for video)
-Manual settings of iso, aperture and shutter speed.
-shutter speeds outside the standard 1/30 - 1/125
-variable fps (so 24p not just 30p, but also say 100p or 200p - maybe at lower resolution)
-Manual compression settings for video
-Higher resolution (escpecially at 24p that uses 20% less bandwidth)
-Mic controls. Ability to set gain, showing visualizer.

The first three are the important ones. I dont really have the skills to get them in there myself but I would be more than happy to test stuff if someone can hack it !

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
Re: Support for the canon 5D mark II
« Reply #1 on: 28 / November / 2008, 13:12:44 »
hi lyrd
great ideeas, but for ex: the G9 did wait one whole year to find somebody who has enough ARM assembler knowledge and time to spare to port CHDK.
So, we need a good developer
+the developer needs a  5D mk II
+the developer needs a lot of time and and generally time is money for a good developer
conclusion:
1.you might wait two or three (or 4,5....) years 
2.you may hire a good programmer(you can find some here) for a few tenthousand dollars to do the job in a few months.
3.you may buy the sourcecodes and documentation from canon, makes a lot easier the job.
4. maybe it will be never "hacked"
i hope if you choose the second or third option, you'll share with us the sourcecodes.
« Last Edit: 28 / November / 2008, 13:15:23 by dzsemx »

Offline lyrd

« Reply #2 on: 28 / November / 2008, 13:55:02 »
Sadly I don't have the budget for that.

However before I heard of this place I launched this site: Canon hack with that purpose and that purpose only.

I'm hoping for it to be discovered by one of the big sites and really get the ball rolling. because sure as hell the source is for sharing I just dont have the funds :-(

So im trying to help in other ways.

« Reply #3 on: 04 / December / 2008, 00:52:04 »
I'm also new to this forum but I think it's really important to note some things about the 5d MkII that have NEVER been true about any other Canon camera. The fact that it's an interchangeable lens 1080p video camera with a full-frame sensor for $2,700 is a game-changing proposition for independent filmmakers. It took us by surprise, but it's here now!  As a point of comparison, Sony's EX-3 has interchangeable lenses and 1080p but the the image sensor is a 1/2" chip, which is many many times smaller than the 5d and thus has the "typical" videocamera characteristics of unlimited depth-of-field. And it's $8,000. More to the point, for a HD camera with a sensor capable of the DOF characteristics of a 5dMkII you are looking at about $30k-50k for a RED (which is APS-C sized) or $200,000 + for offerings from Sony, et al. So the 5d is really hundreds of times cheaper than the next full-frame HD camera.

The reason I bring all this up is that if someone were to hack the 5dMkII to add merely 25p/24p -- a LOWER framerate than what the camera already has, and something it's easily capable of -- it would be an incredibly enabling firmware update. If someone were to enable manual settings of the shutter speed, exposure, and ISO -- options that are already available in still mode -- I think we're talking about a firmware update that a lot of filmmakers would be willing to pay handily for. I know the firmware hacks on CHDK have been free and open-source to date, but the 5dMkII is such a unique, unprecendented device (the Nikon D90 has HD video at 24p but it's full of codec problems and other dealbreaking limitations) -- that I hope some of the programmers out there will see this for the opportunity that it represents.

I do think future dSLRs will start competing more with each other based on video features (as the line between still and motion photographer becomes increasingly blurred), but Canon, Sony, and Panasonic all have more expensive video camera sales to protect. I doubt there will be another full-frame 1080p dSLR with a 38mbit h.264 codec and HDMI out at a competitive price point any time soon -- and as Canon has an XL line of camcorders to sell for $10k, I doubt they'll add any of these desired video features by firmware update themselves. Even with the 30p limitation the 5dMkII is going to move a ton of units -- also a good thing for programmers, given there will be a lot of units out there.

Anyway, I think everyone HOPES someone would hack the movie mode of the 5dMkII out of the goodness of their heart, but I wanted to point out the magnitude of this PARTICULAR model's capability for change via firmware hack, and also not-so-subtly suggest that someone could make significant money doing so (while momentously helping the indie film community at the same time!).

I have no hacking skills myself, just wanted to point all that out... Sorry for the mammoth post.

Ryan
The West Side

Offline lyrd

« Reply #4 on: 04 / December / 2008, 04:54:20 »
Well I couldn't really agree more. I would easily be willing to pony up $20 for a good firmware with variable fps (but why limit to just 24, 30). and manual controls over iso and shutter.

I'm trying to get the ball rolling by starting canonhack.com and the way I see it the more traffic and funds we get gathered there the more likely it is that someone actually hacks it.

However it should be said that if it's hacked for canonhack.com the firmware will then be distributed for free. So if a hacker wants to make money of individual sales he cannot claim the money from canonhack.com

Anyways. I hope to see you all over at Canon hack the bigger ball we can get rolling the more likely it is that we will have a result.

« Reply #5 on: 12 / December / 2008, 14:00:57 »
Hiperfocal distance setting put in the wishlist, please ;-) It can be calcelated and set manually but so burdensome to keep it in minde for any lenses and focal lenghts.

Offline lyrd

« Reply #6 on: 12 / December / 2008, 14:17:28 »
Hiperfocal distance setting put in the wishlist, please ;-) It can be calcelated and set manually but so burdensome to keep it in minde for any lenses and focal lenghts.

Well it most definitely would be a very nice feature but I think we should try and keep the list more focused. I suggest that you post this as a comment on the site.

Once all the main features are implemented any features like this is most welcome

« Reply #7 on: 12 / January / 2009, 01:44:15 »
I so wish Canon had included voice annotation to the 5DM2.  I would be willing to pay $500, maybe more if someone could figure out a non-destructive (to the camera) way to record wav files at the push of a button just like the 1D series cameras