A720 IS - feature script wanted - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

A720 IS - feature script wanted

• 3 Replies
A720 IS - feature script wanted
« on: 02 / December / 2008, 00:16:05 »
Advertisements
Hi. I recently started running the 'allbest #50' build on my A720 IS. I'm having a ton of fun with Intervalometer and Motion Detection. I'd like to add a script that enables what I believe is called high-speed burst -- the ability to take several exposures per second when the shutter button is pressed. If anyone can recommend a script that does this I would really appreciate it.

Also, my camera seems to take a really long time between exposures, even when the SD card is empty (I get the 'Busy' screen for around two seconds after each photo). Is there some way to speed this?

Thanks in advance. This has been a great forum.

Dan

Online reyalp

Re: A720 IS - feature script wanted
« Reply #1 on: 02 / December / 2008, 00:31:36 »
If you are shooting raw, they also take a significant time to save. There's no way around that, it's a lot of data. The "busy" screen is also shown when dark frame subtraction is done, which essentially doubles the exposure time. Are you taking long exposures, or forcing this option on ?

CHDK can't make the camera shoot faster than the built in continuous mode, as this is mainly limited by the speed of the hardware. For fast shooting
- Get the fastest card you can
- shoot at the lowest resolution you can accept
- keep the ISO low, because the cameras do more noise reduction on higher ISOs
- disable raw if you don't need it
- disable dark frame subtraction (or shoot at exposure times that don't trigger it) if you don't need it

For resolution and ISO, you should test how your specific camera behaves.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #2 on: 02 / December / 2008, 05:15:28 »
btw allbest #50 is over half a year old. which in terms of CHDK is stone-age. i suggest updating to one of the autobuilds :)

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #3 on: 02 / December / 2008, 13:42:01 »
- shoot at the lowest resolution you can accept

Shoot at the lowest resolution your camera will not scale. This is often achieved by using one of the smallest image sizes but only when maximal digital tele feature (=crop) is enabled. If cropping is out of the question for some odd reason, lowest quality JPEG in full resolution is way faster than 640x480.