Anything to decrease shutter response time? - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Anything to decrease shutter response time?

• 1 Replies
Anything to decrease shutter response time?
« on: 15 / December / 2008, 18:45:55 »
Advertisements
My wife has a Canon, and is annoyed by how long the delay is between button-press and the shot being taken.  This always causes her to miss shots.  I'm not sure if it's the time being taken to focus, or determine exposure, or what.

Is there anything available through CHDK that would enable me to change this and get a faster response time?

Thanks,

Kelly

Offline fvdk

• Ixus 70 1.01b / 1.02a & Powershot A590is 1.01b
    • My Flickr photo page
Re: Anything to decrease shutter response time?
« Reply #1 on: 15 / December / 2008, 19:27:24 »
My wife has a Canon, and is annoyed by how long the delay is between button-press and the shot being taken.  This always causes her to miss shots.  I'm not sure if it's the time being taken to focus, or determine exposure, or what.

Is there anything available through CHDK that would enable me to change this and get a faster response time?

Thanks,

Kelly

Most of the delay is caused by the camera having to focus and setting the right exposure.
Some people push the shutter button all the way down when taking a picture, expecting that the camera will take the picture immediately which is not the case for the above reasons.

If CHDK is used to set the exposure manually, there will be a faster response time but I assume that your wife just want to take a picture without having to figure out the manual settings.

If you give the camera time to make it's settings by pushing the shutter half way down and full press when it is ready, there will be very little delay.

Here is a link to a list of shutter lag for different cameras.
Digital Camera Shutter Lag Comparison Table

Frans
« Last Edit: 15 / December / 2008, 19:32:04 by fvdk »