Multi partition support A590 IS - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Using CHDK > General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases

Multi partition support A590 IS

<< < (2/6) > >>

thearrow:
Thats too bad. I was hoping to be able to use my full 16GB card......

Now for temporary usage I have just made the largest possible (4GB) FAT16 partition.......
Still good for 416 DNGs :D

barc:
I've got the same problem with an 8gb SDHC card. I created a 4gb fat16 partition just like thearrow and hope that this can be fixed in the future...

Anyways, chdk is a piece of art. I don't know how I could ever life without it! Thanks a lot!

pepem:
[UPDATED] I forgot to add some steps, sorry for that

Hi there,

I was successful making my 8Gb card bootable and store my photos on the correct partition, the camera works perfectly with iPhoto08 (yes, another MAC user).

I found myself forced to work on windows as none of the MAC solutions seemed to work for me, so using a Nikon D80 as a sdhc card reader :-)  and working on windows xp with vmware this is what I did:

1. Start the SDM installer (last version: 1.75) and choose the card
2. Make two partitions with the option of the installer, this makes a small 2Mb partition (Fat12) and makes the rest of the card a FAT32 partition.
3. Press the "format" button, and the "make bootable" I think in that order, but not sure.
4. In windows explorer open the card and put the CHDK files there
5. Whithout closing SDM (not important I guess but thats what I did) press "swap partitions"
6. Now hit the "format" button again, as this time it will format the bigger partition
7. A command promt window will appear with information about the process, then you'll have to enter a name, I'm not sure if the name is important for the partition, but just in case I used "CANON_DC" as the camera does when formats a card.
8. Put the CHDK folder in this partition.
9. With SDM swap again the partitions in order to make the primary partition the small one and put there the DISKBOOT.BIN and vers.req files.
10. Close everything
11. Put the card in your camera (remember to "lock" the card with the slider)
12. It works!!! (At least for me)

My camera is the mighty 590 (I love it!!), SDM installer ver. 1.75, CHDK: a590-101b-0.9.1-678-full, with Windows XP Pro SP3 over vmware, The card reader I used... a Nikon D80. I tried to do the same on a Windows Vista PC, with built-in card reader but SDM software wasn't able to make the partitions (nothing happened).

I think thats all.

Please excuse my english, I'm not a native speaker, and my explanations as I'm quite a newbie with this camera and all chdk stuff (1 week with the camera , and this afternoon to make my 1 hour new 8Gb card)

P.S. Thanks a lot to the developers for such a great work!!!

verygreen:
Here is how to make MacOS X to be able to create dual partitions that work:
After creating new partition layout in MacOS X diskutil, run this sequence of commands:
1. unmount both partition in diskutil
2. fdisk -e /dev/diskX
3. setpid 1 (then enter 1 when prompted for new partition id)
4. write
5. exit
After this point on continue with usual unmounting and making 1st partition bootable as usual.

thearrow:
Aha!

Thanks pepem, your method works perfectly for me, too!

15+GB free space recognized!

After I had that all set up, I used this hack to view both partitions in windows explorer!:
USB as Local Disk HACK

(If you already used this hack (like I had), the SDM installer won't recognize your card. You have to "uninstall" the driver for your flash reader so it reverts  back to being a removable disk. Then follow pepem's method, get the card set up properly, then re-apply the hack.)

Sweet!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version