To be able to use manual mode on Canon G9 and UW housing WP-DC21 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum

To be able to use manual mode on Canon G9 and UW housing WP-DC21

• 14 Replies
To be able to use manual mode on Canon G9 and UW housing WP-DC21
« on: 22 / December / 2008, 16:10:02 »
Advertisements
Hi Guys!

New to CHDK and I really like what you are doing. Maybe this is the answers to my prayers :) I bought a Canon G9 with original UW housing (WP-DC21) about a year ago and I have been very annoyed that you cannot use manual or any of the creative modes on the camera due to there is no dial on the housing. It would be nice to be able to use a button to change the mode of the left and right buttons to be able to change aperture and/or shutter speed.

Is this possible? Is there some way I can help?

Cheers
Patrik
(A developer with long Java, C, C++ and assembler experience)

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: To be able to use manual mode on Canon G9 and UW housing WP-DC21
« Reply #1 on: 22 / December / 2008, 16:55:13 »
what buttons can you use, using this housing? you could remap buttons using a script (so no need for changing chdk source).

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #2 on: 22 / December / 2008, 20:19:09 »
The G9 has also CAM_ADJUSTABLE_ALT_BUTTON, so the Alt-button (but only this one) can be changed in the CHDK menu without modification of the sources...

« Reply #3 on: 29 / December / 2008, 04:59:51 »
Hi,

you don't need to complicate things that much. I would expect it to be described in the manual of the housing,since they decided not to build the control for the dial control (I love that wheel) and I don't remember right now, but it may be even in the manual of the camera (I understand it is though piece for reading).

If you keep pressed the shortcut button(upper-left corner), the left and right buttons of the camera will do the same job as the dial control.

« Reply #4 on: 29 / December / 2008, 10:24:26 »
I never read that before!Yes,it works on my g7 !This is a good way to replace the 'wheel'-dial!and in script too,for
example a good sequence:
(in Av,Tv mode or in Mf(with a previous click "up"on g7)

press "print"
 click "left"
 release "print"

will diminish the Tv,Av or Mfocus value!I tryied this on my g7.

Edited:OOh!Sorry I just found that for script the 'wheel_right' and 'wheel_left' was an old story...I haven't not yet read all the
wiki chdk pages(and manual pages)...anyway thanx to lojo !

« Last Edit: 29 / December / 2008, 13:12:47 by maka45 »

« Reply #5 on: 21 / February / 2011, 16:56:30 »
could this be solved for G11 CHDK version?
WP-DC34 is also without wheel support :(

« Reply #6 on: 21 / February / 2011, 17:04:36 »
could this be solved for G11 CHDK version?
WP-DC34 is also without wheel support :(

It is exactly the same, hold the shortcut/print button and use the left or right button. This way, you can modify the same parameters as with the wheel.

Check the housing manual, it should be described there and if you look carefully in the manual of the camera, it may be mentioned in some point too.

« Reply #7 on: 21 / February / 2011, 17:33:38 »
hold the shortcut/print button and use the left or right button
I know that trick, but it doesn`t work in CHDK, only in canon firmware mode :( I have checked it several times.
CHDK changes basic DirectPrint/Shortcut button function from short click to hold.
And unfortunately removes "shift" feature to left/right.

Only adjusting <Alt> button to any other (or at least to Disp. or *) in CHDK menu could help, because recommended in several post source edit will not work with future firmware updates.
« Last Edit: 21 / February / 2011, 17:35:20 by teiyo »

« Reply #8 on: 01 / March / 2011, 14:45:30 »
Why adjustable <alt> button is not available in CHDK firmware menu for G11?:( Though it is available in G9?

It is the only right and simple way to solve the problem of missing wheel.

The devil of it - using DirectPrint/Shortcut for ALT disables it`s basic function of holding it as a "shift".

CHDK main idea is to extend capabilities, but not cutting them!!!

I appeal to the developers crew! Enable this simple line in G11 firmware menu please! It would be so kind of you!

« Reply #9 on: 05 / March / 2011, 07:17:46 »
Could someone answer? is there any reason to wait here for the reply??  :-[

Dear developers, are you planing to add this feature for the G11 firmware in foreseeable future or i should ask someone else to help (with scpits or code recompiling etc.) ???

I`m planning to use my underwater housing in two weeks... but there is no sense doing it with CHDK (without access to manual mode functions) :(