Canon to Casio? - Non-CANON cameras development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Canon to Casio?

• 4 Replies
Canon to Casio?
« on: 24 / December / 2008, 17:03:25 »
Advertisements
I realize that creating a "CHDK" for a Casio camera would mean going back to square one and rewriting it from scratch, but I think that the benefits could be fantastic!

The Casio F1 and now even cheaper FH20 cameras (starting around $600 or less) can capture over 1000fps video, but more importantly, they can capture over 30fps high resolution still images.  That's more than 6x faster than the fastest Canon PowerShot I'm aware of!

Imagine the kind of processing power required to take 8 megapixel images at 30fps?  Imagine being able to hack that and tweak it to your hearts' content?  Not to mention recording HD video (up to 1080i on the F1), the fact that they already have motion detection, 20x optical zoom, etc etc.....

I'm the very happy owner of an FH20 (in addition to my S3 IS), but I would be thrilled if I could have the capabilities of CHDK added onto it :D

What do you think?  Is anyone interested in taking this on?

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Canon to Casio?
« Reply #1 on: 28 / December / 2008, 07:50:03 »
for a start, one would need a firmware update file by casio. without this, something like chdk will never be possible for casio (unless someone devises a hardware hack, which is not what chdk is about).

« Reply #2 on: 31 / December / 2008, 16:05:03 »
I've already flashed the firmware on my FH20 :)  So that at least is possible/available... here is the link to the 1.01 firmware for the FH20: Digital Cameras [ EX-FH20 Firmware Update  ] - CASIO WORLDWIDE and to the 1.10 firmware on the F1: Digital Cameras [ EX-F1 Firmware Update  ] - CASIO WORLDWIDE

I believe these two cameras have very similar if not identical processors, as the different capabilities of each camera seem to be two sides of the same coin (the F1 has higher FPS, the FH20 has higher resolution), and the firmware releases have added features to the F1 that originally debuted on the FH20.
« Last Edit: 31 / December / 2008, 16:12:00 by ImperfectSense »

Offline mx3

« Reply #3 on: 07 / January / 2009, 00:13:41 »
i dont remember whether  i attached some tools related to casio or not.
see attached tool to dissect firmware files.
it seems it have a bug (it crashes on f1) - you can fix it by yourself
skype: max_dtc. ICQ: 125985663, email: win.drivers(at)gmail, eVB decompiler

Offline TapouT

• [S5 IS]
« Reply #4 on: 20 / January / 2009, 22:48:20 »
Nice to see interest in Casio work.  I'm not getting rid of my S5 IS and might go for for an SX1 at some point, but I have been seriously considering one of the smaller Casio P&S cameras with the 30FPS shooting for a pocket cam.

Maybe you can clarify this for me also:  On the 30FPS, Once I press the shutter, does it capture 30 pictures and save them all to memory card and then after a certain delay and can capture 30 more? or how does that work?