badpixel.bin - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

badpixel.bin

• 1 Replies

Offline matc

badpixel.bin
« on: 01 / January / 2009, 11:21:51 »
Advertisements
Hi,

I wanted to try dng format but it request a badpixel.bin file.

I wonder why it is need :
- may be I don't want to do badpixel processing
- may be I already set conf.bad_pixel_removal (and use badpixel/badpixel.txt) that already does badpixel processing (according to what I understand from source code)

BTW, even if there is no badpixel.bin, it should be save to call patch_bad_pixels_b because binary_count should be 0 in that case, that patch_bad_pixels_b will do nothing.

Also why there is now 2 badpixels mechanism (badpixel.txt vs badpixel.bin) ?
« Last Edit: 01 / January / 2009, 11:24:57 by matc »

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: badpixel.bin
« Reply #1 on: 01 / January / 2009, 13:25:29 »
Hello & welcome matc !

I wanted to try dng format but it request a badpixel.bin file.
I wonder why it is need :
- may be I don't want to do badpixel processing
- may be I already set conf.bad_pixel_removal (and use badpixel/badpixel.txt) that already does badpixel processing (according to what I understand from source code)

BTW, even if there is no badpixel.bin, it should be save to call patch_bad_pixels_b because binary_count should be 0 in that case, that patch_bad_pixels_b will do nothing.

Also why there is now 2 badpixels mechanism (badpixel.txt vs badpixel.bin) ?

The badpixel.bin is only needed for DNG creation - it includes the badpixels from the canon firmware.
In the RAW image this badpixels are only masked (black, value 0x30 as i remember), so dependent from the software you use you'll get black dots in your image. The file can be generated with the badpixel.lua script, included in the 'complete' download package; you can also use a dummy file, containing only some zeros: with this you can enable the DNG support, but the bad pixels will not be removed...

The badpixel.txt is for the 'standard', usual bad/hotpixel removal (also in JPEGs) - this function removes hotpixels also when they are not known by the canon firmware.