Powershot Achilles Heel (topic on lens cleaning) - page 2 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum

Powershot Achilles Heel (topic on lens cleaning)

• 15 Replies
Re: Powershot Achilles Heel
« Reply #10 on: 08 / January / 2009, 19:11:11 »
Advertisements
I suspect my dust got in there from blowing dust off the lens - I am guessing that I blew dust past the seals. However given how common the problem is it, some probably gets past anyway.

I agree with MicroFunguy - I wouldn't recommend anyone try taking their lens assembly apart unless the camera has no value and bricking it wouldn't matter.

If you have a camera you love and want to fix the lens assembly yourself, then try to get a broken one of the same model and have a go on that first... Lens assemblies are very tricky and you need some voodoo and four metric tonnes of patience to work with them (Aside: If anyone has a broken TX-1 I am looking for one!).

« Reply #11 on: 08 / January / 2009, 19:26:27 »
If you do want to open up your assembly, and want a cleanroom environment, I just read this in regard to repairing hard drive: "a makeshift clean room is easy. run the shower in the bathroom for 15 minutes on the hottest setting and then shut it off and let the room cool down completely. the mist in the air will remove all dust as it falls to the ground. use a tyvek suit and cover your hair, face, hands and you're good to go.". Sounds sensible to me and you could google for details. Don't try to blow mist out as I read elsewhere - you want to keep the nice clean air!

Also I would never recommend anyone use liquids to clean anything inside the lens assembly (not even whizzy non-residual solvents). You are most likely to just move dust or other residuals to places you don't want it. Especially anyone trying to wash a CCD sensor is bonkers - especially if it has pixel microlenses.

« Reply #12 on: 16 / January / 2009, 18:41:43 »
Update:
I just got my A720is back from Canon repair.  They replaced the lens, no charge.  It was 8 months old so still under warranty.  Kudos to Canon.  It was my own fault for getting the dust into it.

« Reply #13 on: 17 / January / 2009, 12:15:03 »
Kudos to Canon. 

That is good news.

Canon must read this forum  :)

David

Re: Powershot Achilles Heel (topic on lens cleaning)
« Reply #14 on: 17 / January / 2009, 23:02:34 »
 :D

Hooray!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<

Offline CYBERYOGI -CO-Windler

• CAMS:Ixus 800IS,Sams. WB210,Many cheap non-zoom
    • Logologie, WarrantyVoid
Re: Powershot Achilles Heel (successful lens repair)
« Reply #15 on: 21 / February / 2013, 00:17:16 »
In 2009 I bought on eBay a defective Canon Ixus 800IS with stuck and twisted lens. Despite I had done this first time, I successfully managed to clean and reassemble the lens assemble and got it to work (although loosing tiny parts on patterned rug is no fun), thus it is *definitely possible*.

May be I am exceptionally skilled, but I took photos all steps and it is indeed quite a hell job. There are something like 14 really flimsy plastic rings places inside each other and often it is hard to see which part goes in which direction (especially without service manual). Particularly the image stabilizer(?) is floating in the middle of the barrel, held only between tiny grooves on both sides (like a record player needle in a record groove), prone to fall out by any small bump or too strong pull at the foil cable or turning threads too far. It took me several attempts to put things together in correct order and initially the mechanism flipped over at the end of zoom, ending in macro mode or something like that (by a loose light barrier cable?).

When you stare too long at that thing and try to understand what it means, you will sooner or later feel badly reminded to this one.  :o
Ezekiel 1: 4-21

"Now as I looked at the living creatures, behold, a wheel was on the earth beside each living creature with its four faces. The appearance of the wheels and their workings was, as it were, a wheel in the middle of a wheel. When they moved, they went toward any one of four directions; they did not turn aside when they went. When the living creatures went, the wheels went beside them; and when the living creatures were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up. Wherever the spirit wanted to go, they went, because there the spirit went; and the wheels were lifted together with them, for the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels. When those went, these went; when those stood, these stood; and when those were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up together with them, for the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels..."
:'(
It's not an UFO engine, but repairing it needs roughly similar skill like re-assembling a pocket watch, so it is nothing for stubby fingers. I used isopropanol and cotton swabs to remove fingerprints from image sensor and lenses. If you can get a service manual it is likely much easier to put things back together, but I think that scratched plastic grooves (like with phono records) can easily make the delicate mechanism fail, so a sand infested lens assembly (especially after many unsuccessful turns) may be beyond repair. That Canon simply replaces the entire assembly is certainly also a matter of time - it took me many hours to understand how it worked - but with a scratch at a wrong spot it may also easily get stuck or derail again.
« Last Edit: 21 / February / 2013, 00:25:31 by CYBERYOGI -CO-Windler »
MAY THE SOFTWARE BE WITH YOU!

CYBERYOGI Christian Oliver(=CO=) Windler
(teachmaster of LOGOLOGIE - the first cyberage-religion!)
!
ABANDON=THE=BRUTALITY
{http://weltenschule.de/e_index.html}