How fast EOS 450D can write data to the card? - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

How fast EOS 450D can write data to the card?

• 3 Replies

Offline nrg

How fast EOS 450D can write data to the card?
« on: 11 / January / 2009, 14:55:11 »
Advertisements
Hi

In one of the topics here Dataghost said D40 is only able to write data with about 8MB/s speed so my question is if 450D writes data at similar rate or faster/slower? Answer to this question will help me decide if it's worth buying expensive but fast SD card or slower but with higher capacity.

Thanx in advance

nrg

Offline ditch

Re: How fast EOS 450D can write data to the card?
« Reply #1 on: 12 / January / 2009, 18:50:10 »
with the relatively slow burst rate of the 450D (if action/sport shots are what you are after), you're fine with a 133x rated SD card, or maybe a 150x. if you are not too meticulous about these things, you really wouldn't notice. i'd rather go for SD card build quality if i had a 450d.

but then again, you can never go wrong with the sandisk extreme series.

Offline nrg

« Reply #2 on: 14 / January / 2009, 06:13:04 »
I'm considering buying sandisk extreme anyway but if camera is only able to write data around 10MB/s there is no point in buying the fastest extreme III because device wont use full or even half (30MB/s) medium speed, the only reason I can imagine to pay extra for speed would be transfering pictures from card to the computer but I can wait few more minutes. Cam spec shows it is capable to max. approx. 3.5 shots/s and average picture for 12Mpix resolution is around 3.7MB so approx. maximum write speed with those conditions would be around 13MB/s. Looking at those figures makes me think it is better to buy extreme II with higher capacity (approx 15MB/s according to sandisk).

« Reply #3 on: 25 / March / 2009, 08:01:27 »
I have 2 4gb sandisk extreme III's and these are considerably faster than my regular sandisk 8gb, this guy even went to the trouble of recording his 450D using similar cards:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1031&message=27833035

if you are in the UK - you can get the 4gb SDIII's for a tenner online