CHDK newbie thinking about buying a A590. - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum  

CHDK newbie thinking about buying a A590.

• 4 Replies
CHDK newbie thinking about buying a A590.
« on: 12 / January / 2009, 00:55:23 »
Advertisements
I'm thinking about buying a A590 off of amazon for around $100. The main thing I want this camera for is doing time lapse videos. The one thing that is worrying me is the firmware version. How likely it I will get a camera with the wrong firmware version? And if so is it possible to down/up grade it?

The other then I was wondering on standard AA batteries how long could I take a time lapse if I take a picture every second? Also after taking a picture how long does it take to write it to the card? More then one second?

Anyways now I'm using my E-500, a small chunk of wood, and two rubber bands to take pictures. The only reason I dont want to use it to continue taking time lapse videos is it is getting old and I'm worrying about it breaking. I'm a broke college student and cant replace it if it does.

Thanks for the advice.

Here are my time lapses http://is.gd/fsX0 http://is.gd/fsX5 both those links are youtube.
And you can view my photos here.
« Last Edit: 12 / January / 2009, 02:55:51 by t0ny »

Offline reyalp

Re: CHDK newbie thinking about buying a A590.
« Reply #2 on: 12 / January / 2009, 04:27:24 »
The only known a590 version that isn't supported is 100c. The two supported version (100e and 101b) are higher numbers, so presumably newer and more likely to be on later production cameras. But that's just a guess.

The canon continuous mode is given as 1.4 FPS (dpreview) , so 1 FPS regular shooting might be possible under ideal conditions. Like almost all powershots, the you can keep doing this till the disk fills up or the battery runs out.

Number of shots per battery depends, but assuming you don't use the flash you should get hundreds on a good set of NiMH AAs (canon say 500, you might get more with the LCD off). If that's not enough, there's an external power connector.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #3 on: 18 / January / 2009, 20:42:04 »
I just bought a A590SI from Buy.com for $100 and it came with 1.01B runs CDHK and the timelapse intervalometer script perfectly.

-sd

« Reply #4 on: 18 / January / 2009, 20:45:48 »
I ordered my A590 from newegg for $99.99. Should get here tomorrow. :)