building usb-remote-cable - page 38 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

building usb-remote-cable

• 474 Replies

Offline achillies

• SX130IS
Re: building usb-remote-cable
« Reply #370 on: 15 / July / 2011, 12:40:38 »
Advertisements
Here is another example of building your own 11 pin cable. -> http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap/discuss/comments.php?DiscussionID=2164
Don't let the sands of time get in your lunch.

« Reply #371 on: 21 / July / 2011, 22:26:28 »
Yup - ferrite bead. This will work fine for a remote control.

Thanks... I found another cable without the ferrite bead and made my remote from that...

« Reply #372 on: 25 / July / 2011, 19:54:40 »
I just started to use CHDK with my Canon Powershot SX30 camera.  I'm interested in tryingthe USB Remote Shutter.  However... with my vision... trying to build a cable might be a little bit difficult (before my vision problems... I was an electronics technician for 25 years).

Is there anyplace where a pre-made USB Remte Shutter cable can be bought???

Just curious,
Thanks

Mike

« Reply #373 on: 25 / July / 2011, 23:25:15 »
Is there anyplace where a pre-made USB Remte Shutter cable can be bought???
Google the Ricoh CA-1.

And there is also http://www.flickr.com/photos/fvdk3d/sets/72157624151791739/ and http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentwire/usb.htm
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #374 on: 09 / August / 2011, 17:04:31 »
Yhanks for the info.

I Google'd Ricoh CA-1 and seen prices anywhere from $25 with free shipping to $40 + $12 shipping.  However... with only about a 2 foot cable... will probably have to look for a mini-USB extension cable.

Offline cam

« Reply #375 on: 08 / September / 2011, 13:09:59 »
I'm trying to get a remote trigger to work with the SD790IS. A DIGIC III with combined USB and Video output jack on the camera.

My first attempt did not work. I cut up a standard USB extension cable (male -> female full size USB) and wired a switch and 3v into the red and black on the female end. I then plugged it into the "out of box" usb connector cable that came with the camera.  It does not trigger the shutter. :( What should my next step be?

Thanks

Offline zeno

« Reply #376 on: 08 / September / 2011, 13:49:31 »
Many cameras require more than 3v to trigger the shutter. I presume you've established that plugging your camera into a computer (which will deliver 5v) works. If so, try using 3 1.5v cells rather than 2.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Offline cam

« Reply #377 on: 08 / September / 2011, 22:46:03 »
3 1.5V batteries did the trick. -Thanks-

« Reply #378 on: 03 / January / 2012, 21:35:36 »
Over Christmas break (on Christmas Eve morning, to be specific) I decided to make myself a USB remote for my camera(s), so I thought I'd share my fully functional (yet very sketchy-looking) design.  Unfortunately I did not take pics of the procedure, but I can explain it well enough and show the finished product.

What I did was I used an old cellphone battery as the power source.  One similar to this:

It being 3.7v, it was perfect for both my PowerShots; my old A530 and my new SX150 IS.  I then soldered in the push-button switch, but I also added in a 2-way switch. When turned on, this switch will charge the battery when the cable is plugged into a USB power source (it also works for taking continuous shots when in continuous mode).  This switch is show here:

Then I simply put electrical tape over any exposed connections and duct taped the whole setup to an old cellphone toy.  This is the finished product:

Professional-looking? No (except maybe for suicide bombers.)  Functional?  Yes.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that.

~NightPhotoNoob
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3/1100D w/ 18-55mm lens kit
Canon PowerShot SX150 IS
Canon PowerShot A530

Offline fvdk

• Ixus 70 1.01b / 1.02a & Powershot A590is 1.01b
    • My Flickr photo page
« Reply #379 on: 04 / January / 2012, 03:41:47 »

It being 3.7v, it was perfect for both my PowerShots; my old A530 and my new SX150 IS.  I then soldered in the push-button switch, but I also added in a 2-way switch. When turned on, this switch will charge the battery when the cable is plugged into a USB power source (it also works for taking continuous shots when in continuous mode).  This switch is show here:

Charging your battery with 5V from the USB port is a very bad idea and might cause the battery to explode and set your house on fire. The fumes from exploding Li-ion batteries are also very toxic.

From  battery University: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Lithium-ion operates safely within the designated operating voltages; however, the battery becomes unstable if inadvertently charged to a higher than specified voltage. Prolonged charging above 4.30V forms plating of metallic lithium on the anode, while the cathode material becomes an oxidizing agent, loses stability and produces carbon dioxide (CO2). The cell pressure rises, and if charging is allowed to continue the current interrupt device (CID) responsible for cell safety disconnects the current at 1,380kPa (200psi).

Should the pressure rise further, a safety membrane bursts open at 3,450kPa (500psi) and the cell might eventually vent with flame.

There are plenty of video's on Youtube that show what happens if a Li-ion cell explodes.

http://youtu.be/SMy2_qNO2Y0

Frans
« Last Edit: 04 / January / 2012, 07:56:08 by fvdk »