building usb-remote-cable - page 11 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum

building usb-remote-cable

• 474 Replies

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: building usb-remote-cable
« Reply #100 on: 12 / May / 2008, 14:34:23 »
Advertisements
can it be assumed that all these chdk cams can withstand 10 V at max then? if yes, this should be added to the wiki and the first post of this thread very fast :D

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #101 on: 12 / May / 2008, 18:19:59 »
can it be assumed that all these chdk cams can withstand 10 V at max then? if yes, this should be added to the wiki and the first post of this thread very fast :D

While the assumption is likely correct, it's not a particularly safe one. It assumes all old and new cameras use the same sort of chip for cable detect and that none of these cameras use the USB supply for anything but cable detect.

The said 10 V is a maximum limit specified at room temperature. Note that a fresh 9 volt alkaline battery voltage is typically about 9.5 V, which is too close to 10 V in my opinion.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #102 on: 12 / May / 2008, 18:49:38 »
hm, ok. so we need those bloody schematics for all the cams... somehow we have to bribe someone at canon... :D

« Reply #103 on: 12 / May / 2008, 19:23:36 »
I have built my usb remote using vine's method. And I want to test it out now. Do I have any worries about camera damage or not ?

The photos of my remote are here...

Need remote shutter release for wheelchair photographer

« Reply #104 on: 12 / May / 2008, 21:02:33 »
Aristoc - I coudln't really tell from that link how you built yours (yes, I have a short attention span), but I gather from the picture that you used a voltage regulator. I did the same and have been using it absolutely without incident on my S3. I've probably pressed the button 500 times.

« Reply #105 on: 13 / May / 2008, 07:35:38 »
Yes I used the voltage regulator and want to use that switch for the a570. I guess we shall test it out soon.

Aristoc - I coudln't really tell from that link how you built yours (yes, I have a short attention span), but I gather from the picture that you used a voltage regulator. I did the same and have been using it absolutely without incident on my S3. I've probably pressed the button 500 times.

« Reply #106 on: 14 / May / 2008, 17:15:10 »
I have seen USB mics before.  do you guys think that there would be a way to integrate those into the chdk? or do those too need some sort of amplifier.  i'm thinking that they can just send info to the camera, and once it sends a big chunk of data(if thats what happens during loud noises) then that could be a trigger to take the picture.  i really don't know how they work though, and i'm assuming i'm wrong.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #107 on: 14 / May / 2008, 17:38:13 »
please stay on topic, this is about usb remote (as in - hey, there is current/voltage).
by using the search you may have found this thread: USB Audio Input???
it already has grown to a lengthy discussion, as of now there is no way to use usb mics.

edit: ah now i get it, you're thinking that the mic itself doesnt really "talk usb" with the camera, but just "spits out" the needed voltage. i guess a normal usb mic doesnt work, as it needs voltage. a non-usb mic also needs voltage. but by building another device this can be possible.
« Last Edit: 14 / May / 2008, 17:40:58 by PhyrePhoX »

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #108 on: 15 / May / 2008, 14:26:17 »
If you just want a loud noise to trigger the camera, you're best off building some sort of a device which has an electret mic connected to a sound level detector and a knob to set a threshold (or if you really want to be advanced, AGC) and switch the USB supply voltage like all other USB remotes.

« Reply #109 on: 27 / May / 2008, 14:40:45 »
I've been looking through the wiki and this thread trying to find instructions to make a basic remote trigger cable for my A720. I've had no luck. There are plenty of pictures and discussion of more advanced remotes, but nothing telling me the basics. Can anyone tell me what I need to know or point me in the right direction? I will try to document what i learn to make things easier on other newbies.

Thanks ahead of time