building usb-remote-cable - page 48 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

building usb-remote-cable

• 474 Replies
Re: building usb-remote-cable
« Reply #470 on: 10 / April / 2015, 06:31:11 »
Advertisements
I can confirm: using an USB OTG cable with a supported device (smartphone/tablet) it is possible to remotly trigger a Powershoot with CHDK simply attaching/detaching the cable.

It would be possible to use a switch between the OTG and mini-USB cable, so you can use it like a normal remote with your tablet/smartphone which gives power to VBUS-GND as a batttery (better to say as a voltage regulator).
That will be a pretty rough hardware exploited way.

Otherwise if someone kwnows how to program the voltage output given by an OTG device, it will be possible to exploit the software way. In less word we could have an android app to transform an OTG tablet/smartphone in an intervalometer remote control or whatever you want to program. You only have to buy an OTG cable (male micro(B)-USB to female USB(A)) connected to your PS cable (male USB-(A) to male mini(B)-USB)! 8)

buy usb-remote-cable $3.32 !
« Reply #471 on: 27 / July / 2015, 22:48:37 »
:xmas

« Reply #472 on: 26 / November / 2018, 16:58:43 »
I can confirm: using an USB OTG cable with a supported device (smartphone/tablet) it is possible to remotly trigger a Powershoot with CHDK simply attaching/detaching the cable.

It would be possible to use a switch between the OTG and mini-USB cable...That will be a pretty rough hardware exploited way.]

There are now 5V miniaturized battery packs widely available to charge smartphones.   :D A few of them have on-off switches.  Connect a USB A male plug to the output of this battery pack and the other end to a CHDK-camera programmed to take a shot when the remote is triggered.  Powering the pack ON will cause the camera to take a photo, powering off will reset the system to take a 2nd photo.  This is a very smooth exploitation of "hardware" that wasn't on the market just a few years ago.  Only drawback is that the pack's power switch must be hit 2x for each shot.

Offline dpn

« Reply #473 on: 29 / October / 2020, 14:37:43 »
I built my twin USB cable release using a big LEGO plate and a couple of inexpensive parts from McMaster-Carr: a cheap 9v battery holder and a nice 6mm panel cutout switch. I did a very small amount of very poor soldering, but mostly the wires are connected with pigtails that I've protected in heat-shrink tubes.

My little cable release working well, but I'm going to be improving it by swapping the two micro-USB cables out for lower-profile angled connectors and making a smaller, more elegant, and more robust enclosure.

Long story short: This was a really easy little build, and my two
Canon A4000IS cameras were cheap and work great. Thank you everyone for the great ideas for USB cable release specifically and for the awesome CHDK software generally!

Offline reyalp

« Reply #474 on: 29 / October / 2020, 15:07:41 »
I built my twin USB cable release using a big LEGO plate and a couple of inexpensive parts from McMaster-Carr: a cheap 9v battery holder and a nice 6mm panel cutout switch. I did a very small amount of very poor soldering, but mostly the wires are connected with pigtails that I've protected in heat-shrink tubes.
Are you using 9v for the remote? That would be way outside the USB spec of 5v, definitely not recommended.
Don't forget what the H stands for.