It took me about half an hour. I don't know how to insert images so here's the link to the Picasa Album. https://plus.google.com/photos/113826648328144014766/albums/5728810851357336369?authkey=CIaY0v36z7DPZA
I used a plunge-type momentary swith- I wanted a lower profile but I couldn't find a small enough momentary rocker (I promised myself I would not start ordering parts online to keep it simple- both parts are normally stocked at Radio Shack). I didn't have the exact drill bit size for the switch, so I used one alittle smaller then enlarged the hole by scraping the plastic (its soft enough) with a small penknife.
I used a Radio Shack 4xAAA enclosed battery case. Only three batteries are needed so the spare slot is where I placed the switch. The cable entry hole is the same place as the original power leads, I pulled those back through and enlarged it with a drill bit. I kept it tight as there wasn't enough room to tie a knot or place a cable tie on the inside to secure the cable. I'll probably drop some epoxy in there sooner or later to keep it tight.
For a cable I cut up a usb extension cable- that way I can use the regular three foot USB to mini usb I carry in my camera case (for transferring files) as th eremote cable.
The NICE thing about this is that there is a master on/off switch- this will stop battery discharge due to inadvertant button pressing while in storage or travel AND, since the switch comes in a fourpack you have your choice of red or black button cover lol. This is about the third time I've soldered in my life, so hopefully no cold-solder problems.