Using CHDK with remote capture - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Using CHDK with remote capture

• 7 Replies

Offline kem

Using CHDK with remote capture
« on: 20 / December / 2008, 13:21:20 »
Advertisements
I am new to the CHDK and think it is really cool!

Can CHDK commands be used in conjunction with remote capture? I would like to do afocal imaging with an A640. Therefore I need the focus set to infinity. The A640 can be remotely controlled from a computer using the Canon SDK. However, the SDK for the compact digital cameras does not include a manual focus set. So, I was wondering if I could set the focus with CHDK and then use the remote control. Any suggestions/comments would be most welcome.
Cheers,
Ken

Re: Using CHDK with remote capture
« Reply #1 on: 20 / December / 2008, 16:48:08 »
I would like to do afocal imaging with an A640.
Is that with a microscope, telescope or spotting scope ?

Therefore I need the focus set to infinity.

You will also need a particular zoom setting to avoid vignetting.

I was wondering if I could set the focus with CHDK and then use the remote control

Write a simple script to zoom and focus to infinity that runs on power-up.

Then enable the USB for download and switch to playback mode to communicate with the capture software.

In SDM, 'Disable USB download' in the Scripts menu is the one that you uncheck.

There is a similar setting in CHDK, I do not know what it is called or which menu it is in.

David
« Last Edit: 20 / December / 2008, 16:49:55 by Microfunguy »

Offline kem

« Reply #2 on: 20 / December / 2008, 17:19:34 »
Hi David,

Thanks for the info. I am actually trying to hook the camera to an ophthalmoscope. So, it has a good amount of eye relief and I can overlap the exit pupil of the ophthalmoscope with the entrance pupil of the camera at a zoom setting. Since the camera will be dedicated, I definitely want this to happen automatically.

I am new to this, so please excuse my ignorance. It sounds like you have exactly the solution I am looking for. When you say write a script, I assume that is in CHDK. I still cannot believe Canon did not include a manual focus command in the SDK for the compact cameras...they did with the EOS SDK.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers
Ken

« Reply #3 on: 20 / December / 2008, 19:10:01 »
Unfortunately there is a problem.

Like other 'A' series cameras, the A640 has to be in manual-focus mode before you can override the focus  ;)

David

Offline kem

« Reply #4 on: 20 / December / 2008, 20:19:18 »
I did not know that about the A series. Does that mean I have to switch it manually before the script will work? Is that true for the S and G series as well? I am willing to change cameras, but the camera has to allow remote operation. However, I do not want to go to an SLR!

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,
Ken

« Reply #5 on: 21 / December / 2008, 07:03:10 »
Does that mean I have to switch it manually before the script will work?

No.
First of all, decide which mode you are going to use that also supports manual focusing.
On my A620, I set the dial to 'Manual'.
That requires three presses of the multicontroller 'down' button to enter manual-focusing mode, other modes may only require two presses.

Load the following script (copied to a file named 'Opthalmo.bas for example) and set it to auto-start on power-up :-

@title Opthalmoscope
sleep_for 1000
click "down"
sleep_for 1500
click "down"
sleep_for 1500
click "down"
sleep_for 1500
set_zoom_to 3
sleep_for 1500
set_focus_to 65000
enable_usb_download
" Switch to Playback"
end

NOTE: These are SDM 'plain English' script comands that are not in the basic CHDK.

In my case, after switching to playback, the programme 'WIA-Loader' automatically starts :-

Image uploading

In your case, the image-capture programme should start (if that is currently selected for the USB 'on connect' event).

If you would like to try this, send me a personal message with suitable email address.
I assume firmware is 100b.

David

« Reply #6 on: 16 / January / 2009, 09:52:45 »

« Reply #7 on: 16 / January / 2009, 12:46:32 »