SD990 - page 6 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

SD990

• 206 Replies

Offline Awol

Re: SD990
« Reply #50 on: 19 / March / 2009, 00:43:20 »
Advertisements
Sounds good so far! I'll definitely try it out.

Offline Awol

« Reply #51 on: 19 / March / 2009, 03:23:52 »
I also just ordered a 16GB SDHC card... I'll split it into two partitions for use with CHDK.

« Reply #52 on: 21 / March / 2009, 18:37:50 »
I am using CHDK on my sd990!  How great!

I decided to make a USB remote button, and can't get it to work.  Has anyone else gotten a USB button working with this camera? 

« Reply #53 on: 22 / March / 2009, 11:01:46 »
Pixeldoc got it to work on a SD900 but it required 3.5V unlike some other cams that only needed 1.5v
It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness Equip, S100 w/CHDK, SD900 w/CHDK, SD990 w/CHDK & Pentax K2000, Pentax Kr
Flickr:

« Reply #54 on: 23 / March / 2009, 14:06:17 »
Pixeldoc got it to work on a SD900 but it required 3.5V unlike some other cams that only needed 1.5v

I got an LED flashlight that takes three 1.5 V button cells, so I should have 4.5 V.  The flashlight seemed to be wired backwards to me, so maybe I do have it wrong.  Unfortunately I can't fit my multimeter leads into the mini-USB socket to see what's going on.  The multimeter did report that each cell only seems to give 1.3 V, so maybe I should try either new batteries or get the LED flashlight with four button cells in it.

Here's a stupid question: what if I plug in the camera to a USB charger to try to give it the signal? I'll of course check the voltage first!
  I tried this, and was able to get it to work this way. (Also by plugging and unplugging the camera from my computer!) Either my wires are crossed or my batteries are too low to make it work with the flashlight.

On a side note, I added info about the colors of wires 1 and 4 to the CHDK wiki.  I chose to cut up a USB cable to make a rather sleek looking button.

UPDATE: I got it working.  Here are short instructions http://sites.google.com/site/canonremotehowto/
« Last Edit: 23 / March / 2009, 18:38:37 by abethebrewer »

Offline ddd

« Reply #55 on: 23 / March / 2009, 17:20:04 »
Just ordered two of these cameras to make a 15MP stereo rig...Has anyone else done this? I'm new to all this and looking forward to working through the details, though I probably won't be much help at first...Thanks to all those who are making this possible for the rest of us to get our feet wet with well synchronized water droplets.

Offline Awol

« Reply #56 on: 25 / March / 2009, 20:47:05 »
So what do you guys think of the SD990? I don't really have anything to compare it to, but the pictures seem a little noisy to me and I'm wondering if I should have picked a different model instead of going for the most megapixels.

I've put CHDK on my SDHC card. I haven't tried out its features yet, but just the more accurate battery meter makes it worth it! I've got a 16 GB card which I had to partition for CHDK to work, but the second partition (where all the photos are stored) won't show up in Windows, so I have to boot from a Linux CD to get my photos off the card. It's a bit of a hassle, but carrying around multiple SD cards instead would be a hassle as well. The only problem is that when I'm not running CHDK, the camera stores pictures on the first partition, which is tiny (23 MB). Is there a way to get the camera to store pictures to the second partition when not running CHDK? Is there a way to get Windows to detect the 2nd partition on the card?

Offline ddd

« Reply #57 on: 25 / March / 2009, 22:46:37 »
I haven't seen the camera yet, but I would imagine that if the quality was an issue. the G10 would be the next step up, but sacrificing the compact size, of course...I also like the wider zoom range of the G10...Now that the SD990 porting is underway, does it make it easier for the brains on this board to tackle the G10? I must say, Cannon needs to know that people are making purchasing decisions based on the good work everyone is doing here...Do they help? Has anyone asked them for help?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #58 on: 26 / March / 2009, 00:05:37 »
So what do you guys think of the SD990? I don't really have anything to compare it to, but the pictures seem a little noisy to me and I'm wondering if I should have picked a different model instead of going for the most megapixels.
It's very noisy, even at ISO 80, you can see both the noise and the noise reduction. The optics also aren't good enough to give you full resolution at the edge of the picture, and fringing is noticeable. All of this is expected in this size range.

It' is still a very nice camera for a pocket point and shoot. If size isn't critical, you could definitely get more out of a G or SX series. Maybe even an A.
I've put CHDK on my SDHC card. I haven't tried out its features yet, but just the more accurate battery meter makes it worth it!
I'm not convinced the CHDK battery meter is calibrated correctly yet, I just copied the values from some other camera with the same battery. Feedback appreciated.

I've got a 16 GB card which I had to partition for CHDK to work, but the second partition (where all the photos are stored) won't show up in Windows, so I have to boot from a Linux CD to get my photos off the card. It's a bit of a hassle, but carrying around multiple SD cards instead would be a hassle as well.
You can use the "swap partitions" command in CHDK to make the large partition the first one (aka the only one windows sees). Of course, the next time you boot CHDK after that, you have to load it with the firm update menu. Make sure you have the ps.fi2 on both partitions!

You should be able to use the firm update method without re-partitioning the card at all. (note that some outdated parts of the wiki say you can only use diskboot.bin with dryos cams. This is no longer true since we have fi2 support)

There are some hacks that let windows see multiple partitions on an SD card, but it's a pain.

You can also use USB transfer from the camera of course.

ddd:
Staying under canons radar is in our best interest, I certainly wouldn't ask them for help! The G10 will be ported when a developer has one.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Awol

« Reply #59 on: 26 / March / 2009, 02:13:25 »
It's very noisy, even at ISO 80, you can see both the noise and the noise reduction. The optics also aren't good enough to give you full resolution at the edge of the picture, and fringing is noticeable. All of this is expected in this size range.

It' is still a very nice camera for a pocket point and shoot. If size isn't critical, you could definitely get more out of a G or SX series. Maybe even an A.
Oh size is definitely important for me. I want a small camera that can fit in my pocket. How does the SD990 compare to the other SD's in terms of image quality?

I've got a 16 GB card which I had to partition for CHDK to work, but the second partition (where all the photos are stored) won't show up in Windows, so I have to boot from a Linux CD to get my photos off the card. It's a bit of a hassle, but carrying around multiple SD cards instead would be a hassle as well.
You can use the "swap partitions" command in CHDK to make the large partition the first one (aka the only one windows sees). Of course, the next time you boot CHDK after that, you have to load it with the firm update menu. Make sure you have the ps.fi2 on both partitions!
Ok thanks! I'll try that. So I need ps.fi2 on both partitions... do I need diskboot.bin on both partitions or only the small one?

You should be able to use the firm update method without re-partitioning the card at all. (note that some outdated parts of the wiki say you can only use diskboot.bin with dryos cams. This is no longer true since we have fi2 support)
Wait... so I didn't need to split my card if I don't want to boot immediately from CHDK?