Rapid intervalometer script? - Script Writing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Rapid intervalometer script?

• 14 Replies
Rapid intervalometer script?
« on: 18 / January / 2009, 17:10:24 »
Advertisements
Hi,

I'm looking for an intervalometer script for my a710is. I HAVEN'T just posted on the forum without trying all those on offer on the Wiki but, even so, I can't find one to suite my needs. I have no skills in writing basic and am just looking for any advice on a script that is lurking somewhere...

Basically, I use the original Canon firmware to pause for 5secs and then shoot 10 consecutive shots. The advantage of this method is that the shots are in very quick sucession (well as quick as the a710is can be, I imagine). However, I would like to up the number of shots to say 30 at the same rate. Is this possible? (The reason is so that I can take one 'run' of images of the moon through my telescope, which will fit about 30 on the screen before it drifts off). The more images I can take without adjusting the tripod the better, as Registax (stackign software) can not deal with recentred images (even when I go to great lengths to re-align them manually).

Thanks for any help with my request/questions  :)

Nick
a710is

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: Rapid intervalometer script?
« Reply #1 on: 18 / January / 2009, 18:26:51 »
As fast as possible equals continuous (burst) mode shooting, not intervalometer.

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #2 on: 19 / January / 2009, 02:14:42 »
untested, but what you need is something like the following:

1) put the camera in "Continuous mode"

2) save the following as "cont.bas" (UNTESTED, I have no camera with me)

Code: [Select]
@title Continuous for N seconds
@param a Seconds
@default a 30

press "shoot_half"
press "shoot_full"
sleep a*1000
release "shoot_full"
release "shoot_half"

3) run the script
This script just simulates the "shoot" button being pressed for n seconds.
If the camera is in continuous mode this is what you need.

I would strongly suggest using a USB remote to minimize the camera shake when you start the script.
Else, add a delay "sleep" instruction at the start of the script to let the shakes settle down.

« Reply #3 on: 19 / January / 2009, 09:46:57 »
On the A640 at least, you can achieve significantly faster frame rates in continuous shooting mode by reducing the size of the frame and setting a fixed digital zoom. If you hit the right settings you don't lose much detail as it's not downsizing but simply cropping to the centre of the image. (Obviously you do lose field of view)

« Reply #4 on: 20 / January / 2009, 03:24:44 »
Dear All,

Thanks very much for your helpful replies. When I next get chance, I will try out the script from fbonomi and see what I can do. At the moment I set a 5sec delay before the first (of 10) shots is taken. If I can do that and then have, say, 30 continuous shots, that would be great. Yes, continuos burst is what I meant, as oppsed to intervalometer.

Thanks again (I may be back for more advice on the script if OK)?!

Nick
a710is

« Reply #5 on: 23 / January / 2009, 08:24:00 »
fbonomi,

Thanks again for the script. I have just loaded it on my a710is and it works a treat. However, I have little (i.e. none) programming experience and try as I might, I can't get the sleep function to work (i.e. for 5 secs). Please could you add that to the script you kindly posted?

Thanks again very much,

Nick
a710is

Offline barret

• S3 & a550
« Reply #6 on: 23 / January / 2009, 09:03:25 »
when do you want the script to sleep? in the beginning?
anyway, as far as i can see, there's a command ordering camera to sleep for 1000 ms, which is one second. change that to 5000 and you have 5 seconds.

right?

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #7 on: 23 / January / 2009, 09:28:34 »
I think is what you want:
Code: [Select]
@title Continuous for N seconds
@param a Seconds
@default a 30

sleep 5000

press "shoot_half"
press "shoot_full"
sleep a*1000
release "shoot_full"
release "shoot_half"

The "sleep 5000" instruction is a 5 seconds pause to wait for the vibrations to settle down, before we press the button

The "sleep a*1000" is an "a seconds" pause that is made after the button has been "pressed", i..e is the amount of time the camera will shoot in continuos mode.

« Reply #8 on: 23 / January / 2009, 19:12:48 »
I'm looking for an intervalometer script for my a710is.
Basically, I use the original Canon firmware to pause for 5secs and then shoot 10 consecutive shots.

SDM 1.76 supports that mode or a timed duration.
There is also a settable delay before starting the sequence.

No need for any scripts, just enter a couple of numbers.

If you would like to try it, contact me.

David

« Reply #9 on: 24 / January / 2009, 12:13:31 »
Dear All.

Once again, thanks for your input. I really appreciate it the way you have all chipped in to help. I have just tried the new script from fbonomi and it works great. I'm made up (English for pleased)! When the lunar cycle comes back around (and hopefully with a few clear nights), I'll be back out taking more shots of the moon. I've posted a few under 'Creative Uses of CHDK' if you are interested...

Thanks again,

Nick
a710is