Building the Board layout - page 3 - Archived Issues - CHDK Forum

Building the Board layout

• 47 Replies
Re: Building the Board layout
« Reply #20 on: 05 / December / 2007, 10:16:40 »
Advertisements
  • Creative Uses of CHDK ....
... Using of your camera to crack nuts...   :haha

LOL ... Hey, if CHDK makes that easier to do it WITH CHDK rather than without it? Then it would qualify. Hehehe...

« Reply #21 on: 05 / December / 2007, 10:28:21 »
Why not just call it the CHDK 'software'? It's a term everyone's familiar with and (I think) it's technically more correct than firmware?

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #22 on: 05 / December / 2007, 10:39:58 »
Firmware is a 'software' too.
Since some time we call CHDK as "firmware add-on".
And, historically, CHDK was called as 'firmware' because it uses "Update Firmware" menu and is provided as 'firmware update file'.

Ok. Let it be just "CHDK", or "CHDK software", or "CHDK add-on".
CHDK Developer.

Offline carlos

• A640
Re: Navigational Links at Bottom of Threads?
« Reply #23 on: 05 / December / 2007, 18:14:26 »
I have to scroll my mouse-wheel quite a bit to get back to the top of some threads to be able to reach the CHDK > Board > Thread > Post links. (Quite frankly my index finger is getting more exersize than my legs lately.)

Take out that bullet if I'm out-of-line!

Why don'cha get one o' them there mices with the scrolling wheel that you clicks then you scrolls up and down moving the mouse. It's as fast as you are ....... did I hear lightnin'?

Saves the old trigger finger! You gonna need it bad one o' these days.

'Course I forgets mine 90% of the time!  ::)

Offline emu

• A710is - Fingalo's build
« Reply #24 on: 05 / December / 2007, 21:12:59 »
I love the Child boards - sweeeeeet  :-*
and you CAN post in the main thread if you don't know where to post. I prefer it NOT to have e.g. questions AND suggestions AND general talk in ONE thread - just imagine the chaos we would have in say a month with 300 active members? omg...  :P

Maybe the first Thread in the whole Forum should be a big WELCOME thread, so that the nubees can learn
a) the rules
b) the main CHDK features
c) where to find what and where to post what (and how the childboards work :)

And maybe the Second should be a HELP thread (with childboards??)
« Last Edit: 05 / December / 2007, 21:18:42 by emu »

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #25 on: 06 / December / 2007, 02:58:25 »
I prefer it NOT to have e.g. questions AND suggestions AND general talk in ONE thread - just imagine the chaos we would have in say a month with 300 active members? omg...  :P
You forget these will be separate topics in that forum.  :P

But now we have the exact such situation - the most of new topics is opened in the single forum, and this forum is... General Chat. I do not like this.
If the forum has simple structure it will be much easier to choose right place to post.
Look at this forum. It has more than 60000 members, more than 10000(!) posts per day. And it still has very simple structure.
I consider that CHDK is not such huge topic (in comparison to hardware/software in general, represented on the forum I mentioned) to split it to a lot of small pieces to discuss. These small sub-sub-sub-forums will be almost empty.
« Last Edit: 06 / December / 2007, 10:43:15 by GrAnd »
CHDK Developer.

Offline emu

« Reply #26 on: 06 / December / 2007, 10:14:54 »
I prefer it NOT to have e.g. questions AND suggestions AND general talk in ONE thread - just imagine the chaos we would have in say a month with 300 active members? omg...  :P
You forget these will be separate topics in that forum.  :P

But now we have the exact such situation - the most of new topics is opened in the single forum, and this forum is... General Chat. I do not like this.
If the forum has simple structure it will be much easier to choose right place to post.
Look at this forum. It has more than 60000 members, more than 5000 posts per day. And it still has very simple structure.
I consider that CHDK is not such huge topic (in comparison to hardware/software in general, represented on the forum I mentioned) to split it to a lot of small pieces to discuss. This small sub-sub-sub-forums will be almost empty.

the structure is simple, but there are many different threads - i like it
I agree with you that general chat (aka Chill out space) should NOT be the thread where EVERYTHING should be postet  :blink:

I miss a thread to post pics made with CHDK features (good propaganda for CHDK ^^ )
« Last Edit: 06 / December / 2007, 10:18:15 by emu »

Offline emu

« Reply #27 on: 06 / December / 2007, 15:44:23 »
A good example of why too many sections does not work is the CHDK Wikia. Each page has their own discussion section. Nobody can find anything on it anymore. I have been part of it since day one and even I am forgetting where things were posted there. In times like this, that old saying comes in handy, "K.I.S.S., Keep It Simple, Stupid."

dpreview<---------------------------------------------------------------------------->CHDK-WIKI
I think the Forum should be in the middle  :xmas

« Reply #28 on: 08 / December / 2007, 08:07:24 »
Hi all,

Sorry for not having changed the layout yet, but I predict to do so during the next few days. My modem is yet broke.

Cheers

« Reply #29 on: 08 / December / 2007, 08:55:36 »
It would be nice to get some feedback on something. I noticed that an excellent use for child boards would be in a "General Help and Assistance on using CHDK" board when all is said and done. Sub-forums for each of the popular flavors of CHDK.

GrAnd's Builds (though this has been stable and used for a long time, I think it deserves a sub-forum, some of the usage questions might relate to ALL builds and this would be a good place to discuss them)

Fingalo's Builds, Microfunguy's SDM Builds, EWAVR's Builds, MX3's Build (For any dedicated discussion on motion-detection), AllBest's Builds

This way specific questions and help could be directed toward those particular builds. And if nothing else, it will let the questioner know right away that we AT LEAST require which build they are using before help can be offered.

Comments?

(otherwise I see use of child-boards for many other things as not particularly helpful and could only make things more confusing)

Proprosed addition:

• Using CHDK
    • CHDK Releases (announces; where to download; features descriptions; CHDK-related problems)
    • Help and Assistance on using CHDK versions (general questions: how to install, use; which settings are better; general problems; camera-related problems; etc.) Child-Boards of: GrAnd's Builds, Fingalo's Builds, Microfunguy's Builds, EWAVR's Builds, MX3's (motion detection) Builds, AllBest's Builds
    • Script Writing (questions about current supported syntax; user-written scripts; script writing assistance; camera-related nuances)
    • RAW shooting and processing (working_with_RAW-related problems: how to copy; how to process; best post-processing settings and so on)
    • Creative Uses of CHDK (report a new way to use an existing feature, new discoveries, etc.)
  • CHDK Development
    • General Discussion and Assistance (how to setup the environment and compilation issues; dumping the firmware; discovering a new features; bug reports) (some of this questions can be separated as a child board, but not to a dedicated sub-forum)
    • Feature Requests (no comment:)) PLEASE USE THE SEARCH FEATURE FIRST!
  • Lounge (let it be untouced)
    • General Chat
    • Forum related issues

« Last Edit: 08 / December / 2007, 09:03:41 by Woodsman »