Can CHDK enable USB shutter control? - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum  

Can CHDK enable USB shutter control?

• 5 Replies
Can CHDK enable USB shutter control?
« on: 22 / January / 2009, 12:26:20 »
Advertisements
Does using CHDK enable USB shutter control (e.g. http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/USB_Shutter_Remote) on cameras that don't natively support it (e.g. SD1000)? Some things on the wiki seem to imply that CHDK can control the shutter on all cameras no matter their type, but other things seem to imply that CHDK only allows scripting of existing camera features, and if you can't control the shutter through USB normally (e.g. through gphoto2), then CHDK won't magically make things different.

My second question is: if it is possible to control the shutter via USB using CHDK even on cameras that don't normally support it, is it possible to do this with a USB cable plugged into a computer, rather than a USB cable plugged into a battery/switch mechanism? I can build such a device if necessary--the schematics are very simple--but I'd rather control it from a computer instead. I can probably figure out the necessary signals to send over the port programmatically to produce the desired voltage through trial-and-error, but I wanted to see if anybody else has already done this.

Thanks in advance, and my apologies if I put this in the right place. I did look around and read the FAQ and search the forum etc., so sorry if I missed something obvious!

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: Can CHDK enable USB shutter control?
« Reply #1 on: 22 / January / 2009, 12:38:25 »
Take a look here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CameraFeatures

and you will see that the trigger voltage is ~ 3.4 V;  USB WakeUp not supported though.

HTH,

wim

« Reply #2 on: 22 / January / 2009, 12:39:38 »
Does using CHDK enable USB shutter control

Yes, on all cameras.

You need to generate +5V pulses.

I recommend starting at 30ms pulse-width and incrementing by 30ms.

e.g. 30, 60, 90 etc.

A script detects pulse-width and acts accordingly.

Offline zeno

« Reply #3 on: 22 / January / 2009, 18:11:32 »
Note that what CHDK lets you do is trigger the shutter (and do other things using a script) by applying POWER to the USB port - it does not require (or take any notice of) signals on the USB data lines.

What this means is that if you plug the camera into a computer, power will be applied until you unplug it. Thus you can't really control the camera by a program running on the computer. On the other hand you can build (or indeed buy) both wired and wireless remote controls that utilise the USB port via CHDK.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #4 on: 22 / January / 2009, 19:24:33 »
What this means is that if you plug the camera into a computer, power will be applied until you unplug it. Thus you can't really control the camera by a program running on the computer. On the other hand you can build (or indeed buy) both wired and wireless remote controls that utilise the USB port via CHDK.

So, if I understand correctly: if I install CHDK on my SD1000, and the USB shutter control script, then I can trigger the shutter by plugging the other end of the USB cable in and out of a computer (thus providing the necessary power to the USB port), but I can't trigger the shutter by leaving the USB cable plugged into the computer (unless I can figure out some way to toggle the power on the USB port programmatically). Does that sound accurate?

Thanks again all.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 22 / January / 2009, 19:56:00 »
Correct. If you want to use the computer to control the USB remote functionality, you'll have to build or buy hardware to take some output from the computer and use it to control the USB power lead.
Don't forget what the H stands for.