Any SX10IS Intervalometer idea?s - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Any SX10IS Intervalometer idea?s

• 8 Replies
Any SX10IS Intervalometer idea?s
« on: 26 / January / 2009, 13:33:36 »
Advertisements
Dear all,

Please excuse me if I have posted this question in the wrong place as i am new to this forum (or any other forum for that matter !).

I am a graduate student, and am currently using a camera with an intervalometer option to monitor the evolution the area of some surface in time.  The lab have currently purshaced a PS SX10IS not knowing it has no intervalometer function.  I know that CHDK has not yet been ported to the SX10IS, but was wondering if anyone has any idea of how to implement an intervalometer feature on the SX10IS.

Any idea will be helpfull, and greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Wehed.

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
Re: Any SX10IS Intervalometer idea?s
« Reply #1 on: 26 / January / 2009, 13:44:47 »
You could train a little monkey to press the shutter every 10 seconds.

Edit:
And to prevent me from being smited even more, some serious considerations:

Door nr.1: Try the canon camera window software. Its a remote capture software, working over USB, which also includes a intervalometer function.

Downside: The camera needs to be supported, and you need to expend a PC / Laptop to stand around and trigger the camera for you. (The first one might not be the case)

Door nr.2: Return the SX10 and get another, chdk supported camera.

Downside: None i can think of, unless you need 20x zoom to monitor your surface.

Door nr.3: Get some hackers together to get the sx10 supported by chdk!

And last but not least: Build a hardware hack. (Kinda like the monkey part, but more like electronic hardware which will trigger the camera)
« Last Edit: 26 / January / 2009, 14:13:37 by Hacki »

Offline Kalli

• A620, SX10 IS
« Reply #2 on: 27 / January / 2009, 09:53:08 »
Door nr.2: Return the SX10 and get another, chdk supported camera.

I think that CHDK will be ported for the SX10 in the next couple of month - hopefully until spring.

@wehed
Don't return your nice camera, just be patient and offer your assistance as tester just as I do. I have a lot of time (retired) to test but just very little programming skills (ms-basic, some beginners C of the late 80s). I would be glad if I could be of any help.

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
« Reply #3 on: 27 / January / 2009, 11:59:58 »
I think that CHDK will be ported for the SX10 in the next couple of month - hopefully until spring.

Well, i dont want to kill your optimism, but what makes you think so? The SX10 is a expensive highend camera, and most hackers which earn enough to afford such a camera dont have enough time for spending it with an open source project, or rather go for a DSLR in the first place.

Just look how long it took until the g9 was ported. To do the initial porting, you need ARM Assembler skills. Before the camera boots the first time, any of the assistance a third party can offer isnt of any great help - either the camera boots, or it doesnt.

Returning the camera is the best bet. Sitting on it for a year and going nuts because noone ports chdk to it is an option, but i wouldnt take it. My humble opinion.

Regards.

Offline Kalli

• A620, SX10 IS
« Reply #4 on: 27 / January / 2009, 12:15:14 »

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #5 on: 27 / January / 2009, 12:27:26 »
Of course it's arguable where 'high-end' starts ....

but fact is that porting time tends to be inversely proportional to sales numbers  :D

wim

Offline Kalli

• A620, SX10 IS
« Reply #6 on: 27 / January / 2009, 12:51:25 »
Of course it's arguable where 'high-end' starts ....

but fact is that porting time tends to be inversely proportional to sales numbers  :D

wim

agreed

Kalli

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
« Reply #7 on: 27 / January / 2009, 12:52:35 »

Offline zeno

« Reply #8 on: 27 / January / 2009, 13:01:13 »
Don't despair! Kite Aerial Photographers have developed ways of pressing shutter buttons on cameras with no CHDK support. For example, there's a neat arrangement by Cris Benton (actually for Pole Aerial Photography) here:
http://steel.ced.berkeley.edu/cris/kap/discuss/comments.php?DiscussionID=1841
« Last Edit: 27 / January / 2009, 13:02:46 by zeno »
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit