Two more questions - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Two more questions

• 2 Replies

Offline dlw

Two more questions
« on: 04 / February / 2009, 16:50:21 »
Advertisements
Folks,

You have been very helpful, and I don't want to be a pest .. but I have a couple of questions.  (I'm running r701 on a g9 1.00f)

1.  When I run the benchmark program in the Debug menu, it never finishes calculating the Screen Read and Memory Read times.  It does complete the Flash-card Read time calculation.  Is this the way it should work?  It's handy to be able to compare SD card speeds in-camera, memory read is probably only important when comparing cameras, and I'm not sure there is such a thing as screen-read anyway . . .

2.  The Remote Parameters menu you get to from the Scripting Parameters menu seems to be the same as the Remote Parameters menu you get to from the Miscellaneous Parameters screen.  Is this for convenience, or is there a difference in the way setting the parameters affects the camera?

Thanks for your help.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: Two more questions
« Reply #1 on: 04 / February / 2009, 17:44:51 »
1.  When I run the benchmark program in the Debug menu, it never finishes calculating the Screen Read and Memory Read times.  It does complete the Flash-card Read time calculation.  Is this the way it should work?  It's handy to be able to compare SD card speeds in-camera, memory read is probably only important when comparing cameras, and I'm not sure there is such a thing as screen-read anyway . . .

Sounds like a bug of some sort... Looks like "Flash-card Write (Mem)" doesn't stop calculating for me on Canon's tiny MMC card (other tests do finish). It does work on a faster 1G SD card... (a570 100e).

2.  The Remote Parameters menu you get to from the Scripting Parameters menu seems to be the same as the Remote Parameters menu you get to from the Miscellaneous Parameters screen.  Is this for convenience, or is there a difference in the way setting the parameters affects the camera?

I believe this is for convenience only, just one set of parameters there.

Offline dlw

Re: Two more questions
« Reply #2 on: 05 / February / 2009, 21:05:13 »
Thank you for your quick, complete reply.

I appreciate knowing that the two Remote Parameters screens have the same uses.

With Benchmark, I had no troubles with the flash-card read/write on a either a generic 1G or a SanDisk Extreme III 2G card -- but the Screen Read and Memory Read never finish calculating with either card in.  I'll file a bug report.  I wanted a little confirmation first:  the last time I thought I'd found a bug it turned out to be my misunderstanding of the way something was supposed to work.

Edit:  this is an already-reported bug (0000178).  Seems to be broken after rev 557.  Thanks again for your help.
« Last Edit: 05 / February / 2009, 21:12:49 by dlw »