CHDK article in Feb. 2008 Popular Science issue! - page 2 - General Chat - CHDK Forum

CHDK article in Feb. 2008 Popular Science issue!

• 25 Replies

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
Re: CHDK article in Feb. 2008 Popular Science issue!
« Reply #10 on: 16 / January / 2008, 13:15:15 »
Advertisements
what do you think, is it possible for canon to have these forums/wikis shut down because of that?
It's all possible in this world if you have enough money/power.
But the reason? We do not make money. And I think Canon do not lose money as well. (I do not think that someone wanted to spend his $20000 for DSLR, and changed his mind when found the CHDK). Moreover, many people buy Canon cameras just because of CHDK.
Officially, we do not distribute "firmware dumps". We just post the links we found.  ::)
CHDK Developer.

Offline DataGhost

• EOS 40D, S5IS
    • DataGhost.com
« Reply #11 on: 16 / January / 2008, 13:25:51 »
I've been thinking about that and I had a bit of a bad feeling after uploading the firmware I blinked. The firmware is actually something Canon created and therefore they hold the copyrights. As far as I know, we're not allowed to redistribute the firmware without their consent, so I guess they could have these forums shut down for that. I do suggest removing the links to the firmwares and have the developers (who don't have a specific version of a camera, else they'll be able to blink it) figure out a way to obtain dumps from others outside these forums, when they require them.
I guess this project is still too small for Canon to care, since they have been asked about CHDK+warranty so they should be aware of it. They might not have read the forums or found any firmware dumps, though, could also explain why they haven't responded. Maybe they just don't care and like us doing this stuff :) I've seen "the community" implement features which were then implemented by the manufacturer in a newer generation/model.
Still, only a small number of people actually require a firmware dump, so I don't think it's necessary to make them publically available to anyone. I think I'm going to take my S5 dump offline in a bit (after I've had a chat with a few people) and/or move it to another location, as I think it also violates my hosting agreement.

@GrAnd:
The same goes for torrent sites. I haven't closely monitored all cases in all countries, but I do believe that various sites were shut down because they know what's behind those links. Money is not really an issue, Canon holds the copyright so they could do some damage over here. The fact that they're taking out features in order to make more money suggests that they *are* in fact losing money, because people buy cheaper cameras with the same functionality. Of course, this doesn't really happen on a large scale, but still.

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
« Reply #12 on: 16 / January / 2008, 14:01:12 »
many people buy Canon cameras just because of CHDK

I bought my A710 IS because of CHDK. otherwise I would've went for the A650 IS. either way, money went into Canon's pocket.
chdk does encourage buying Canons because it only works on those. so if people are going to get new cams, they're going to get those that support CHDK, like A570 IS. even without CHDK, Canon has the biggest market share so they would most likely buy Canons. I would say that Canon offers more than the competition and CHDK just kills the competition. I don't think that Canon has too much against it as long as cameras aren't damaged by it.
Canon should be suckers to ban CHDK, especially now when people are working on it for the new series.
you can be sure that if they had something against it, we would've known already. and I'm also sure that they know all about it.

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #13 on: 16 / January / 2008, 14:25:22 »
The same goes for torrent sites. I haven't closely monitored all cases in all countries, but I do believe that various sites were shut down because they know what's behind those links.
I do not know about others. But in Russia a link to copyrighted materials (warez) is not a subject of closing the site. A copyright holder can ask to remove the link, not more. By the law he can't close the site just for a link.
As you can see I use public shares for placing the files. ;)
« Last Edit: 16 / January / 2008, 14:30:07 by GrAnd »
CHDK Developer.

Offline lukg

• Eos 450D+18-55is+55-250is & Powershot S5is - 1.01a
« Reply #14 on: 16 / January / 2008, 15:01:12 »
I think Canon people reads this forum... :D...and they play dumb! They know that chdk is a good thing for them, if it remains limited to a small target of amateur-skilled-semipro-pro-customer (that 10-15% people from the entire compact camera market).

« Reply #15 on: 16 / January / 2008, 17:21:13 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 09:39:40 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline TapouT

• [S5 IS]
« Reply #16 on: 16 / January / 2008, 17:33:58 »
Very well put!  I bet they do watch for ideas from all the "hackers" free work.

Canon's developers could probably learn allot from all of you that work on CHDK.

Offline e2b

« Reply #17 on: 17 / January / 2008, 19:59:31 »
That article must have been great publicity for Canon. I am sure it will influence people to buy Canon, even if they have no intention of using CHDK. I would guess that the number of people using CHDK would be counted in the thousands, out of the millions and millions of cameras that Canon sells.

In turn, we benefit from Canon's success - for all our criticisms, Canon makes pretty good 'stock' units for CHDK developers  to 'customize' on our behalf, and with our heartfelt gratitude  :).

Regarding concerns about copyright, I noticed a post that included a section of disassembled firmware that even included the programmer's name in clear text. It seemed to me that this practice is potentially a bit too provocative, and not to be encouraged.

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #18 on: 08 / February / 2008, 12:56:36 »
The link to the article on Popular Science site: http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2008-02/old-cam-new-tricks
CHDK Developer.

« Reply #19 on: 08 / February / 2008, 13:31:51 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 09:39:59 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye