Can SDM and CHDK be on the same SDHC card In-Camera - page 4 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Can SDM and CHDK be on the same SDHC card In-Camera

• 66 Replies

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
Re: Can SDM and CHDK be on the same SDHC card In-Camera
« Reply #30 on: 19 / February / 2009, 14:22:50 »
Advertisements
Any details? I believe that many people, including myself, used sdminste without trouble...

I don't remember exactly which buttons I pressed in sdminst, but SD card was not inserted on some operations (for the clear reasons, I do not wish to repeat it now). After computer reboot, OS was not started. Using boot CD with disk editor I have seen that first partition of my HDD was 2MB FAT16 and second partition was FAT32 with invalid size. Using recovery software (commercial) I successfully restored old partitions layout (NTFS+extended).

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
« Reply #31 on: 19 / February / 2009, 14:48:11 »
Hmm... For equally clear reasons nobody is likely to try and reproduce this behavior, though it wouldn't hurt to put a little warning somewhere... Anybody? Microfunguy?!

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #32 on: 19 / February / 2009, 15:17:48 »
A warning ? I'd vote for comparing the selected drive to %SystemDrive% and refuse to play if equal   :D

wim

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #33 on: 19 / February / 2009, 15:38:48 »
If SD card is not inserted into reader, "create partition" and "swap partitions" buttons is still active and can be pressed. What happens if we press such button?

edit: screenshot is attached.
« Last Edit: 19 / February / 2009, 15:47:54 by ewavr »

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #34 on: 19 / February / 2009, 15:39:47 »
...I don't remember exactly which buttons I pressed in sdminst, but SD card was not inserted on some operations (for the clear reasons, I do not wish to repeat it now). After computer reboot, OS was not started. Using boot CD with disk editor I have seen that first partition of my HDD was 2MB FAT16 and second partition was FAT32 with invalid size. Using recovery software (commercial) I successfully restored old partitions layout (NTFS+extended).

The same was reported in the german forum, a guy killed his boot drive this way, another one an USB pen...

A very good OS recovery software for such things is "TestDisk" from http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk !

When the Windows drive letter changes / the SD card is removed & inserted again, the drive selection in sdminste.exe changes to an other drive letter, e.g. the hard disc drive.

So when you use sdminste, ALWAYS look to the "Selected SD card drive" combo box BEFOR you press ANY button !

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #35 on: 19 / February / 2009, 15:46:58 »
If SD card is not inserted into reader, "create partition" and "swap partitions" buttons is still active and can be pressed. What happens if we press such button?

Ewavr, i'm sure you know (now  ;) ) what will happen when you press "Create partition"  :o

BTW - the buttons are still active without ANY removable drives - that's very heavy !

« Reply #36 on: 19 / February / 2009, 16:08:05 »
it wouldn't hurt to put a little warning somewhere

This is a bit unfortunate, I was not aware of any problems.
There are warnings on the SDM website.

I have no idea how sdminst.exe works and have never seen the code.

I will pass-on this information to the author.

Offline Hacki

• SX100
« Reply #37 on: 19 / February / 2009, 16:36:59 »
So you basically distribute a binary of which you dont know what its doing in the background, and which can clearly harm the OS? How come you trust the author like that?

That author could in theory have coded a hidden keylogger in there, or something like that..

(Good thing the karma system is disabled)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #38 on: 19 / February / 2009, 16:58:37 »
So you basically distribute a binary of which you dont know what its doing in the background, and which can clearly harm the OS? How come you trust the author like that?

That author could in theory have coded a hidden keylogger in there, or something like that..

(Good thing the karma system is disabled)
Uhm WTF. That's basically true of every binary. Do you know that cardtricks (to pick a random example) doesn't have a key logger ? (yes the source is available... but you don't know the binary was made from that source)

Hosing a hard-drive partition without confirmation isn't user friendly, but trying to play it as something more is disingenuous.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Hacki

• SX100
« Reply #39 on: 19 / February / 2009, 17:02:01 »
Thus my comment about the karma system.