ixus aperture & manual flash - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

ixus aperture & manual flash

• 10 Replies
« on: 10 / February / 2009, 18:20:27 »
Advertisements
Hi everyone,

I read on the CHDK firmware usage page that you can override Aperture value. I can't seem to find this option with my build. All overrides I can see are: shutter, subject distance, and ISO.

Does that mean it is not supported in ixus 80?

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #1 on: 10 / February / 2009, 18:57:46 »
yep, exactly that does it mean. the ixus cams dont have an aperture.

« Reply #2 on: 14 / February / 2009, 18:32:24 »
the ixus cams dont have an aperture.

Hmm.. I can see the aperture value changing when I use the optical zoom. It's F2.8 without zoom and F4.9 on 3x zoom. Maybe the camera must have at least the basic native support (semi-manual Aperture priority) from Canon so that CHDK can access the functionality.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #3 on: 14 / February / 2009, 18:35:52 »
it's just optics - the more you zoom in, the less light will come in. thus the changed aperture. still no iris then.

« Reply #4 on: 14 / February / 2009, 19:17:11 »
can you specify in what way you utilize this new function? we dont get really much feedback by the users (except bugreports), unfortunately...

The good thing about the manual flash is that the camera will not care much about it. The camera will just take the photo as if there was no flash used. This gives you more exposure time in dark environment and a controllable flash too. Erm.. i find it hard to explain the idea so here's an example I made today (camera auto exposure is 1 sec):

Manual flash: low power (0)

Manual flash: medium power (1)

Manual flash: high power (2)

Camera flash:

I have always hated taking pictures with flash as it blows the effect of other lights around.. Not with manual flash anymore  :D

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #5 on: 15 / February / 2009, 15:55:21 »
wow, that wasnt possible on the ixus' before? no "enable long sync flash" or something like that in the canon menus somewhere? nice. btw where the hell is that?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #6 on: 15 / February / 2009, 16:51:32 »
wow, that wasnt possible on the ixus' before? no "enable long sync flash" or something like that in the canon menus somewhere? nice. btw where the hell is that?

The Ixus series do not have an option for setting up the flash power output level directly, but IMO all Ixus models have an long sync option, e.g. Slow Synchro ON/OFF on the Ixus 860 or Long Shutter ON/OFF  ??? on the Ixus 50 - in german it's always translated with "Langzeitsynchronisation AN/AUS".

@walqas:
Have you evere tried this Ixus setting ?

« Reply #7 on: 15 / February / 2009, 17:16:23 »
Have you evere tried this Ixus setting ?
Just tried that and it seems to take long exposure photos with flash. Never thought there would be a setting like that. The Canon manual doesnt explain all the options of the camera  ::)

Well then at least you can now control the flash power  :P

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #8 on: 15 / February / 2009, 17:22:16 »
well it more or less only makes sense with manual mode (on cams that support it) or the override functions of chdk.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #9 on: 15 / February / 2009, 17:52:44 »
...The Canon manual doesnt explain all the options of the camera...
...Well then at least you can now control the flash power 

Yeah...the "newer" manuals (SD870, SX10) are also not as good as the "older" ones (SD400), for some features you have to read between the lines, and the translation of the manuals and also of the OSD & menu often is bullsxxx...

...and now there's no more need for toilet paper to mod (soften) the flash...

well it more or less only makes sense with manual mode (on cams that support it) or the override functions of chdk.
The Ixus cameras do not have a real manual mode, but with a bit experience you can handle most situations very well, e.g. with the spot measuring setting, the AEL & the manual Ev control...