Whoa! ****MAJOR**** High-Speed Shutter-Speed Discovery! - page 10 - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum

Whoa! ****MAJOR**** High-Speed Shutter-Speed Discovery!

• 119 Replies
Re: Whoa! ****MAJOR**** High-Speed Shutter-Speed Discovery!
« Reply #90 on: 24 / January / 2008, 07:59:16 »
Advertisements
About placing my pictures on samples page - sure you can post them! Of course now you can also post yours :)
I admit that focus at such close ranges is hard to accomplish. I also had many pictures out of focus. mainly because of my hand moving outside of a short focus depth in supermacro mode but albo because my S3 is hard to focus manually using LCD or EVF (man i hate that.. canon did poor on that part of this otherwise great camera).
When i'll get home i'll post some more pics that i took with S3 and also a few that i did with my ol' good' A70.

funny thing about A70 : bought 2 broken on ebay, both with the same symptom - CCD failure and sent to canon service. they replace CCD's for free not regarding warranty status (no papers required) because sony made the CCD so they fail frequently when in extreme temperatures (say you take your camera on a winter trip - 3 months later you start to notice purple bands on images and later on you camera stops to record anything but black images). takes them a couple of weeks but in outcome you have a cheap but still good camera.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #91 on: 24 / January / 2008, 10:58:20 »
This is a picture i took using allbest v16 and the fastest shutterspeed and the builtin flash (on low level).
It's raining salt onto a salt dispenser.
don't actually know if such high speed shutter is needed for a moving thing such as lotsa grains of salt, but anyways, i thought this would make an interesting picture.
edit, yes, i also took alot of pics that day,though not as much as 300.
i also wanted to snap a cucumber in two and have my a620 shoot a pic in the right moment, but to no avail, i had it snapped twice when the camera was not ready to fire a flash again. darn. i had to eat the whole cucumber as i did not want to put it in the fridge again, busted as it looked. damn you, chdk ;)
« Last Edit: 24 / January / 2008, 11:02:01 by phyrephox »

« Reply #92 on: 25 / January / 2008, 01:54:05 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 07:15:13 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #93 on: 25 / January / 2008, 13:55:07 »
ur totally right.
right i now i tried to light a match in front of the camera, wasn't going so well  :lol
by the way what setup did you use when you shot the lighters? with or without flash (i guess without) but at what speed, program, etc?

« Reply #94 on: 25 / January / 2008, 14:52:15 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 07:15:38 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #95 on: 29 / January / 2008, 17:57:56 »
Oh and now that we're talking about lighter mushrooms, how about this one?  ::)

The EXIF tag is intact, but it's been cropped, gamma isn't original and of course the shutter speed value is incorrect as it was maxed out with the override (to what I believe is about 360 us ie 1/2800 s for that image).

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
« Reply #96 on: 30 / January / 2008, 04:19:46 »
Don't know if this is relevant any more, but I did some shutter speed tests of IXUS 950 (SD 850), shooting an oscilloscope screen (no flash, of course). By specification, the fastest shutter for this model is 1/1600, i.e. 0.625ms. When overriding, I see that the shortest achievable time is about 0.2 ms, although the image intensity keeps decreasing with shorter override values. This is seen in the following oscilloscope traces, taken at 1/1000, 1/10k, and 1/100k. The dark spots in the traces are the graticule lines 0.2ms apart.

« Reply #97 on: 30 / January / 2008, 05:51:07 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 07:16:04 by Barney Fife »

« Reply #98 on: 30 / January / 2008, 05:57:19 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 07:16:34 by Barney Fife »

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
« Reply #99 on: 30 / January / 2008, 06:27:11 »
This shows that the phosphor on the screen has an afterglow (phosphorescence) of 0.2ms and that the actual shutter speed gets shorter as the same length of electron-gun sweep gets dimmer.
Good point. Maybe some day I'll try to do it correctly, with a sweeping laser beam.