Intervalometer with time of day constraints - page 2 - Script Writing - CHDK Forum  

Intervalometer with time of day constraints

• 43 Replies

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: Intervalometer with time of day constraints
« Reply #10 on: 22 / February / 2009, 14:19:30 »
Advertisements
What I need is a solution for an intervalometer script with time-of-day constraints.  I haven't seen a script with this spec. 

I'm afraid I don't have the time to write one for you...

With Lua it should be pretty easy using os.date

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/LUA/LUA_Reference
http://www.lua.org/pil/22.1.html

And I believe in uBASIC it's just as easy although the code will be less readable as usual:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/TutorialScratchpad#get_day_seconds

« Reply #11 on: 11 / June / 2009, 20:40:02 »
Ok...lets take power out of the equation.  I am now hooked to the mains.   Power is no problem.   What I need is a solution for an intervalometer script with time-of-day constraints.  I haven't seen a script with this spec.  

I'm writing one now, about to start testing it, see http://bugsplatter.id.au/chdk/ for a link to the script.

Edit: It's there, mostly working on an a590, I've got it waiting for sunrise, about 40000 seconds to go :)
« Last Edit: 12 / June / 2009, 05:14:33 by scattered »

Offline an0n

« Reply #12 on: 11 / June / 2009, 22:18:30 »
Just a thought on external dc supply, (not a recommendation) tap half of a 6V gel or motorcyle battery,
they are relatively small, cheap, and from about 5 amphrs and up. You could use each half alternately to
even out the discharge, and maybe a small solar panel for assistance. Or is this getting too complicated/
expensive?
A720IS.

« Reply #13 on: 12 / June / 2009, 05:21:02 »
Just a thought on external dc supply, (not a recommendation) tap half of a 6V gel or motorcyle battery,
they are relatively small, cheap, and from about 5 amphrs and up. You could use each half alternately to
even out the discharge, and maybe a small solar panel for assistance. Or is this getting too complicated/
expensive?

A cheap switching regulator with easy to get components (I live in a country town) costs about US$20 in parts and has 75% efficiency dropping 12V to 3V at 3A (from datasheet) -- I'll probably build it and take measurements next week or two.  Can make a 90% efficient one but the regulator IC is more difficult to find in small quantities where I am.  12V from car battery or gel cell easy to find too -- a solar panel might be fun too, if you had a sponsor or a deeper wallet than I have.

« Reply #14 on: 15 / June / 2009, 02:18:50 »
hi
 i would like to know if you find a solution to your problem cause i m looking for the same kind of script.
did you try the script of blug on your 590 ?
thk

« Reply #15 on: 16 / June / 2009, 20:29:00 »
Hi there, rewrote daylapse to use the tick counter again.  Went through the motions of using day_seconds and the get_time values but there were too many problems.  At least the tick counter is monotonic and 2^32 is good for >1000 hours.

Working on reliable manual focus setting to stop the autofocus each shot, also have the prefocus + af_lock option.  I need the manual focus (or infinity focus?) option as I'm setting up the camera when it's dark, to catch the sunrise.

So now I'm starting to use get_prop values and explore the cam a little more  :)  

My a590 has 42299 shots on the clock right now, how long do these little cams last?

See: http://chdk.mine.nu/ or http://bugsplatter.id.au/chdk/ (same page)
« Last Edit: 16 / June / 2009, 20:30:54 by scattered »

setting the manual focus distance QUICKLY?
« Reply #16 on: 22 / June / 2009, 14:15:10 »
Hi,

Firstly, great work on the script. It allows me to customise pretty much anything I would want to customise.

I'm playing with it on my A620 (Digic 2). The version I'm playing with is 2009-06-22b.

I notice the MF distance defaults to 65536 - ie infinity. But if I want to use AF, I need to set this value to 0 or 1. That's an awful lot of left-button presses to get there! Am I missing something, but is there a quick way to get to low values?

I know some aspects of CHDK have a 'multiplier' setting. Set it multiplier to 1, and it each left/right press changes by 1, set it to 10, and each left/right press changes by 10, set it to 100 and each left/right press changes by 100 etc etc. Alternatively, have a wrap-around, so if you go higher than 65536, it will return to 0. This latter option solves my current problem (getting AF), but doesn't help someone who needs to set the distance 1800mm (still a lot of button presses).

So, maybe I'm missing something really BIG... or maybe I'm making a reasonable suggestion ;-)

Anyway, good work on the script. I wish I could do stuff like this, but scripting scares me a little (and I have considerable programming experience!).

Thanks
Elia

« Reply #17 on: 22 / June / 2009, 18:15:33 »
Hi,

Firstly, great work on the script. It allows me to customise pretty much anything I would want to customise.

I'm playing with it on my A620 (Digic 2). The version I'm playing with is 2009-06-22b.

I notice the MF distance defaults to 65536 - ie infinity. But if I want to use AF, I need to set this value to 0 or 1. That's an awful lot of left-button presses to get there! Am I missing something, but is there a quick way to get to low values?

I know some aspects of CHDK have a 'multiplier' setting. Set it multiplier to 1, and it each left/right press changes by 1, set it to 10, and each left/right press changes by 10, set it to 100 and each left/right press changes by 100 etc etc. Alternatively, have a wrap-around, so if you go higher than 65536, it will return to 0. This latter option solves my current problem (getting AF), but doesn't help someone who needs to set the distance 1800mm (still a lot of button presses).

So, maybe I'm missing something really BIG... or maybe I'm making a reasonable suggestion ;-)

Anyway, good work on the script. I wish I could do stuff like this, but scripting scares me a little (and I have considerable programming experience!).

Thank you for encouragement :)

Yes, you're missing something ;)   Unless DigicII doesn't have the multiplier feature?

To lower 65k to 0 or 1 quickly, use the zoom lever to select multiplier of 10k, take the value back to -9999 then up to 1 (6 left, 1 right), change 'zoom' multiplier to one, down to 0 with one click  :D

I'll add something about the multiplier in the parameters section, this info is buried somewhere on the page, http://bugsplatter.id.au/chdk/#chdk_useful_stuff -- 'cos when I tripped over the multiplier feature I took out the digit-at-a-time number setting.

Cheers,
Grant.
« Last Edit: 22 / June / 2009, 18:24:22 by scattered »

« Reply #18 on: 23 / June / 2009, 02:33:52 »
GENIUS!

I had actually read the whole page a few days before (but when it came to testing it, I had forgotten the details), so the zoom-lever trick sounded oddly familiar when you mentioned it.

It worked fine on my A620, suggests that DIGIC2 supports the feature. It's a neat way to change values too. I was quickly able to change the MF distance value.

I will test the script out tonight. On your page you mentioned something about needing a Digic2-camera-owner to test/confirm something. I'm happy to help out with my A620 if you still need it.

Elia

« Reply #19 on: 23 / June / 2009, 05:22:38 »
I will test the script out tonight. On your page you mentioned something about needing a Digic2-camera-owner to test/confirm something. I'm happy to help out with my A620 if you still need it.

I'd like feedback on what cams the script works on, I'll start a list of known working cams.  Also, if you have problems I may be able to work around them, or add related features, if they're not too large and fit with the design or application of this script.