- General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

• 11 Replies
« on: 21 / February / 2009, 08:14:07 »
Advertisements
Helo...

Thanks for all in advance for your support and efforts to make newbies like me, use their cameras as pro. ;)

Well... in my case, updating from GM1.00E to 1.00F fails..... yesterday I thought I had destroyed my cam, but fortunatelly it is still 1.00E and nothing else happened but frightening me.

Of course, I went here:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q._How_can_I_update_the_original_Canon_firmware.3F
and downloaded the firmware:
http://rapidshare.com/files/28437724/A620.F.original.rar.html

1 - Format my SD through the same cam.
http://g.imagehost.org/0277/DSC00068.jpg

2 - copy at SD root the vers.req to check current GM1.00E
http://f.imagehost.org/0748/DSC00073.jpg

3 - well........ copy now the firmware downloaded into SD root...... no problem.
http://g.imagehost.org/0157/DSC00075.jpg

4 - Now....... upgrade.......... watch this video (it is short):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWzDNUw7M8Y#hq

it just ask if upgrade from 1.0.0.0 > 1.0.0.0............. I guess "yes"-
Then "upgrading, do not turn power off!" at screen and BEEEEEEP!!! and led between orange and green quickly....

It is supposed to be less than a minute..... in my case, yesterday, and after a few more tests, it can be "forever".... yesterday I waited 30 minutes.

Finally extract batteries to stop it................ then power on again and nothing happens.... still 1.00E.

5 - I navigate the SD card after that, and see a new binary file.... called "UpgradeLog.txt"....... it says txt but is binary.... cannot read it.
http://g.imagehost.org/0030/DSC00079.jpg

So.... cannot upgrade....... what is my problem????? I cannot figure out, and just see how people are upgrading correctly their a620 cams withouth problems but me.

Thanks....... ;)

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #1 on: 21 / February / 2009, 08:32:21 »
Can you attach UpgradeLog.txt to your post?

« Reply #2 on: 21 / February / 2009, 09:22:38 »
Well......... now, at this moment, one hour after last restart and looking menus, etc, now my cam is dead..... it does not power on although batteries are OK.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I will try to contact Canon tech, to see if they can upload firmware to cam at a valuable cost............

I am the only one who had this problem????????

:( :( :( :(

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #3 on: 21 / February / 2009, 09:35:41 »

No, one guy from russian forum also killed his cam - due to weak batteries.

How about declog.txt?

« Reply #4 on: 21 / February / 2009, 09:43:07 »

No, one guy from russian forum also killed his cam - due to weak batteries.

How about declog.txt?

Here you have the log which appeared after upgrading fails into SD root.
http://uploaded.to/?id=94othv

In my case the problem was not batteries at all.....

Do you think canon tech support may heal my cam at a valuable price???

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #5 on: 21 / February / 2009, 10:00:18 »
Here you have the log which appeared after upgrading fails into SD root.
Nothing interesting in this log:
Code: [Select]
### ExecuteFirmUpgrade ###

UpgradeFileName... A/PSA620.FIR  OK
Starting DISKBOOT...

Do you think canon tech support may heal my cam
Yes.
at a valuable price???
Maybe no. I don't know.
« Last Edit: 21 / February / 2009, 10:07:03 by ewavr »

« Reply #6 on: 22 / February / 2009, 14:38:31 »
helo........... just incredible!!!!

Yesterday-------

After recording the video showed before, powered on the camera, check current firmware version and then turn off.

So one hour later, bit more, seen ewavr answer and tried to power on the camera again..... it was completely dead..... check SD, check batteries, check everything..... was really really dead.

Today-- ---------

Have spent one day out of home.... came back.... the camera was over the desk...... did not take it but pressed the power on button and the CAMERA POWERED ON!!!!!!!! Could not believe it... yesterday it was quite a dead piece of canon's paperweight......... now I can take photos....... check firmware and still 1.00E.

mmmmmmmmmm............

I think I am not testing to upgrade to 1.00F again, until one of you could tell me an alternative way or simply what could I do different..

- It is normal the camera do BEEP and the led turns between orange and green quickly while updating?????? (you can see the youtube video)..... someone did notice upgrading taking more than one minute in any case?
- I checked the md5sum of the two firmware files, the one extracted of the zip file, and the one copied and into the SD........... do you think maybe the problem could be the SD card?????
- Is there maybe any other parameter of my spanish A620 which could cause upgrading fails?????

Thanks.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #7 on: 22 / February / 2009, 15:36:49 »
- It is normal the camera do BEEP and the led turns between orange and green quickly while updating?????? (you can see the youtube video)..... someone did notice upgrading taking more than one minute in any case?

No, there should be no beeps & no disco lights, duration should be < 20 seconds.
(I haven't updated a A620 yet, but i had no problems with updating an Ixus 50 some time ago)

- I checked the md5sum of the two firmware files, the one extracted of the zip file, and the one copied and into the SD........... do you think maybe the problem could be the SD card?????
- Is there maybe any other parameter of my spanish A620 which could cause upgrading fails?????
Maybe, but rather unusual.

Some suggestions - but beware: it's your camera  8)

- use a small, reliable SD card - e.g. the small 16 or 32MB card delivered with your camera
- reset your camera to the default settings (from the Canon menu)
- format the card in the camera (full format mode)
- use a reliable card reader, always eject the card/reader with the corresponding OS function ("remove hardware" under Windows)
- charge the batterie before updating
- clean the batterie contacts
- while updating: do not touch buttons or move the camera

Maybe removing the small backup batterie (a small coin cell, used to backup the cameras date & time / settings) for some hours & setting up date & time after re-insert the batterie could be helpful...

You can also try to update the firmware via USB with the original firmware loader...

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #8 on: 22 / February / 2009, 15:58:01 »
maybe the download of the firmware is corrupt, try downloading again.

« Reply #9 on: 04 / March / 2009, 14:46:01 »

Some notes which might help:

1) Quote---So one hour later, bit more, seen ewavr answer and tried to power on the camera again..... it was completely dead..... check SD, check batteries, check everything..... was really really dead--Unquote

Please be aware of the lid contact in the SD-slot! With SD-lid open camera seems dead!

2) Quote---I think I am not testing to upgrade to 1.00F again, until one of you could tell me an alternative way or simply what could I do different..-----Unquote

I yesterday succesfully updated A620 firmware 1.00E into 1.00F with PSA620.FIR (extracted from A620.F.original.rar). Suggestion: 1) reset to camera factory settings; than chose English language; 2) format SD card in camera; 3) Add new file "PSA620.FIR" and dummy file "ver.req" manually on SD with card reader (I use my TomTom navigation for this).

3) Quote--- It is normal the camera do BEEP and the led turns between orange and green quickly while updating?????? (you can see the youtube video)..... someone did notice upgrading taking more than one minute in any case---Unquote

Leds were blinking several time the same color followed by 2nd color (orange and green); update took ca 40 secs followed by auto-switched off. Than i waited 5 mins before switching on according instruction --> fw 1.00F is now loaded.

Succes,