How to download DNG/RAW via USB (A590is) - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

How to download DNG/RAW via USB (A590is)

• 3 Replies
How to download DNG/RAW via USB (A590is)
« on: 04 / March / 2009, 15:48:50 »
Advertisements
Hi There:

I'm new to CHDK, and one thing I couldn't figure out is how to download the RAW images using a USB connection on my A590is. It keeps on downloading just the JPG files but left the RAW/DNG files on the card. I had to take out the card and use the reader to get the DNG/RAW files. What do I have to do to get the RAW/DNG with just a USB connection, so I don't have to open that battery door everytime I need to get the pics?

Thanks.

Ciac

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: How to download DNG/RAW via USB (A590is)
« Reply #1 on: 04 / March / 2009, 17:03:15 »
AFAIK the Canon software only copies certain file extensions, and they aren't even the same for all cams ...

experiment with the extension for your DNG & CRW and you should get it working, IIRC at least WAV, THM and JPG
are supported by the Canon transfer soft.

(not sure though, i'm strictly a cardreader person myself: i tend to be more worried about my USB mini port)

HTH,

wim

« Reply #2 on: 04 / March / 2009, 17:40:27 »
just tested it using picasa (I never installed the Canon software, and wonder if I'd missed anything) and apparently CRW and CR2 works (not THM, DNG, didn't try WAV.. and .jpg would just be too confusing). There's still a checkmark at the bottom at "DNG format". I suppose it's just the compression method irrespective of the extension?

Thanks for the information. I think the only reason for me to try to avoid using the cardreader was that I had to flip the write-lock switch every time I download, or else I have to go back to the camera to erase it, an extra step; where if I use USB the files on camera can be erased using the software. Also plugging a wire seemed "cleaner" with less "wear and tear" than having to open AND close doors while the card is loaded (and open again to put the card back in), having to fidget around the lock switch, etc. etc..

Anyway, thanks for your help. It's much appreciated.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 04 / March / 2009, 22:53:13 »
AFAIK the Canon software only copies certain file extensions, and they aren't even the same for all cams ...
There are also some combinations of prefix/extension that confuse the camera. For example, if you have IMG_NNNN.JPG and IMG_NNNN.CRW, some (most ? all ?) cameras will not display them both correctly via usb.

DNG is not normally recognized by the camera, but the "dng via usb" option under misc should allow you to transfer it. May not be supported on all cams.

Note also that the camera doesn't always show files or notice that files were deleted unless you turn it off and back on again.
Don't forget what the H stands for.