Preliminary questions for a project - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

Preliminary questions for a project

• 5 Replies

Offline Mkn

Preliminary questions for a project
« on: 11 / March / 2009, 08:37:13 »
Advertisements
Hello all,

I'm a master degree student in fine arts working on my MA-project where I intend to use CHDK on a Canon compact camera. I have experience from software development from before, mainly in Java and various script languages. I do not intend to do very complex things for the moment, but I have some concerns that are critical for the success of the project.

1. Autoboot. This is my main concern. I need the camera to be able to run on external power, and if power is cut, it must be able to boot in to the CHDK OS. I've read the autoboot page (from the FAQ). It is still a bit unclear. Is autoboot a problem on some camera models?

2. Autorun Script. Is this possible? How much effort would it be to alter the code to make this happend?

3. Native OS. Digic III/IV and VxWorks/DryOS. Does it make a differance in this context?

3. Firmware. What about firmwares, is it possible to downgrade firmware if the one on camera is not supported?

4. Camera Model. Currently I'm looking for something fairly cheap (image quality is secondary for this project), compact with a large screen that can do the above. Must be readily available in Sweden/Europe. Suggestions?

I've read the FAQ and searched for a bunch of questionmarks already. Sorry if I've missed these.

Thanks all!
Mkn.

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: Preliminary questions for a project
« Reply #1 on: 11 / March / 2009, 09:47:42 »
Hi Mkn, welcome to the forum !

Firstly (but you might already have read this) here's the supported camera list:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q._What_camera_models_are_supported_by_the_CHDK_program.3F

your points:

ad 1: Autoboot works on all supported cams - there could be complications, but only if you need to use a card > 4 Gb :
        CHDK can only autoboot from a FAT16 file system, so these cards will need to be partitioned in that case.

ad 2: Most supported cams will do this out-of-the-box when booted in Record/Shooting mode; note that some cams (mostly
         models without a physical switch for changing Record <-> Review mode) can not do this

ad 3: Should not make much difference.

ad 3bis: No , you can only change the real firmware (CHDK is software, not firmware) with official Canon updates

ad 4: AFAIK the cheapest supported cam that's still available in Europe is the A590 (i paid ~105 Euro in the Netherlands);
        IXUS 80 IS (~ 140 Euro) is also supported. Older cams are almost always supported and might be available cheaply
        second hand.

Depending on intended use, there could be other things to consider: IXUS cams, for example, generally do not have an
iris diaphragm, but a neutral density filter instead; AFAIK they don't have a DC-in either.

HTH,

wim

« Reply #2 on: 11 / March / 2009, 10:30:54 »
if power is cut, it must be able to boot in to the CHDK OS.

You will need to keep the power button permanently pressed.

David

Offline Mkn

« Reply #3 on: 11 / March / 2009, 13:34:15 »
Thanks for replies. I'll go for the Ixus 80IS, as it seems to be a good compromise for this particular application (seems to be supported in most ways by CHDK, good price, big screen, clean looks) and it has an external power jack.

Thanks also David for replies in the scripts thread. I'll give SDM a shot.

« Reply #4 on: 11 / March / 2009, 17:52:31 »
if the ixuss 80 is identical to the us sd1100 as its said to be it does not have an external power jack. you have to get a fake battery with the power supply. this maye cause a problem as it would be on the bottom of the cam.
Powershot SD1100 IS  FW 1.01A
CHDK autobuild 0.9.8-755
SDM 1.80

A MORE than well deserved thanks to all who made CHDK possible. It's made me a camera freak!

Offline Mkn

« Reply #5 on: 20 / March / 2009, 08:40:43 »
Thanks N_m. Amazing how Canon can charge $50 (actually up to $120 here in Sweden) for a low voltage transformer and two cables in a plastic shell. Found this lil nugget for how to build an adapter for about $10. Yay!

http://www.ixus-world.de/index.htm?workshops/spannungsregler/spannung_2.htm