Eos 400d ( Rebel XTI ) - page 103 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum

Eos 400d ( Rebel XTI )

• 1871 Replies
Re: Eos 400d ( Rebel XTI )
« Reply #1020 on: 29 / April / 2011, 03:27:08 »
Advertisements
A bit more playing and testing and I was able to get the camera in a state where the mode dial was set to A-DEP and pressing the DIRECT PRINT button at the Shortcuts menu would not show the Load presets menu... (no blue light or anything - it was like the DIRECT PRINT button had become inactive).

Have not been able to reproduce this again yet but will try more.  I remember I had loaded a preset, then changed a few settings, saved a preset, turned the mode dial to a different AE setting, returned the mode dial back to A-DEP setting and let the camera sit for quite a while (10 minutes or more), before half-pressing the shutter to bring it back alive - then somehow I experienced the inability to see the Load preset menu any more from A-DEP. I also noted that the order of my Shortcuts menu was no longer saved to the custom order I had previously saved it to - it had returned back to the default order.

Not trying to purposely break anything here, just testing and enjoying the new features and noted these conditions and wanted to report back my findings...

Looks like there is a bug in the code that tracks the position of the main dial: our code was thinking that the dial was in a different position, and thus did not allow you to enter the presets menu. About the shorcuts: there are frequent changes in the format of the settings file between versions of the hack; when that happens, our code will not load an older version of the file

Please, keep reporting your findings, they are very valuable to the developers!

« Reply #1021 on: 29 / April / 2011, 07:03:34 »
I have just remembered that presets store all settings, and that includes the order of the shortcuts menu; this is "by design", because which shortcuts are more useful may depend on the situation. You probably saved a presets before reordering the shortcuts, and a presets recovered later that (non)order.

I think we need an option to decide which settings are included in the presets.

Presets and Shortcut menu ordering...
« Reply #1022 on: 29 / April / 2011, 12:42:30 »
I have just remembered that presets store all settings, and that includes the order of the shortcuts menu; this is "by design", because which shortcuts are more useful may depend on the situation. You probably saved a presets before reordering the shortcuts, and a presets recovered later that (non)order.

I think we need an option to decide which settings are included in the presets.

Good catch, that is exactly what happened with the lost Shortcut menu ordering...

Still trying to determine exact steps of how I got the no-show of the Load preset menu while in A-DEP mode.  I'll keep testing as I have time.

It would be nice to have a wiki doc out in the repository (once Preset code is complete) that shows all of the settings that are saved / restored for a Preset (not the actual values, just what settings are used with Presets).  I have looked over the code and see most of them.  I might add an Issue as an enhancement to also load/store the camera "Auto power off" value.  I didn't see that one in code.  Do you have access to this setting?

« Reply #1023 on: 29 / April / 2011, 14:07:54 »
It would be nice to have a wiki doc out in the repository (once Preset code is complete) that shows all of the settings that are saved / restored for a Preset (not the actual values, just what settings are used with Presets).  I have looked over the code and see most of them.  I might add an Issue as an enhancement to also load/store the camera "Auto power off" value.  I didn't see that one in code.  Do you have access to this setting?

Yes, once we have options to select which parameters are read from the presets, we will have to document them.

And yes, too; the following "interesting" parameters are not used:
  • auto_power_off
  • view_type
  • review_time
  • auto_rotate
  • lcd_brightness
  • date_time
  • file_numbering
  • language
  • video_system
  • picture_style_mode
  • histogram
  • disp_afpoint
  • color_space

We know how to save them (we are already saving them to the card, actually), but still have to figure out how to apply them (almost trivial, probably); but I do not think all of these should be used: does it make sense to change the language with a preset, for example?.

Offline 0xAF

• 0xAF
« Reply #1024 on: 29 / April / 2011, 17:04:05 »
does someone knows what are those SecretFlags for ? there are 2 secret flags which seems to change some normal events to another event... still dont know what they do ... but if someone knows, this can save me reading the disassmebled code ...
// AF

« Reply #1025 on: 29 / April / 2011, 19:11:23 »
Still trying to determine exact steps of how I got the no-show of the Load preset menu while in A-DEP mode.  I'll keep testing as I have time.

Looks like the camera does not do a full restart when the card is removed and inserted again; then, we boot directly in the last mode set by a preset, and we cannot detect where the dial is.

« Reply #1026 on: 29 / April / 2011, 22:35:21 »
We know how to save them (we are already saving them to the card, actually), but still have to figure out how to apply them (almost trivial, probably); but I do not think all of these should be used: does it make sense to change the language with a preset, for example?.

My choices for inclusion in each Preset setting:

• auto_power_off
  • view_type
  • review_time
  • auto_rotate --- This one I could go either way on (does not matter)
  • lcd_brightness
  • date_time
  • file_numbering
  • language
  • video_system
  • picture_style_mode
  • histogram
  • disp_afpoint
  • color_space

« Last Edit: 29 / April / 2011, 22:37:11 by guffster »

« Reply #1027 on: 02 / May / 2011, 14:10:09 »
The presets are amazing.
I can't think of any kind of photographer not finding them useful.
Is there any reason to limit them to a quantity of only 5?
Do you think it would be useful to have them be easily shared, edited and/or imported?
I would bet the amount data in one preset file is so small it might  fit just within then length of the file name.

« Last Edit: 02 / May / 2011, 17:05:50 by JoeNeptune »

« Reply #1028 on: 03 / May / 2011, 01:20:27 »
The presets are amazing.
I can't think of any kind of photographer not finding them useful.

Thanks!

Is there any reason to limit them to a quantity of only 5?

There are only 5 rows in a menu, and I thought 5 would be enough; even the most expensive cameras have less.

Do you think it would be useful to have them be easily shared, edited and/or imported?

Presets are stored as files in your card... do whatever you want with them.

I would bet the amount data in one preset file is so small it might  fit just within then length of the file name.

You lost the bet: a filename is 8+3 characters, and just the parameters for a couple of scripts are longer than that.

« Reply #1029 on: 03 / May / 2011, 05:10:53 »
Couls someone post some example of preset? Just for my better understanding.