Eos 400d ( Rebel XTI ) - page 158 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Eos 400d ( Rebel XTI )

• 1871 Replies
New release pre-announcement
« Reply #1570 on: 12 / April / 2012, 17:47:21 »
Advertisements
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.

We have a new release ready for consumption; but before we make the official announcement, we would like to let a couple of days pass, so people can test it. Below you can find the list of enhancements and new features; the updated user guide can be found at: "http://code.google.com/p/400plus/wiki/UserGuidePreview", and the most updated version at "http://code.google.com/p/400plus/downloads/list?q=label%3ANightlyBuild".

We hope you enjoy it!

* Usability improvements
· New language system: now 400plus can be translated to languages not supported by the camera.
· Menus have been reordered, everything should be easier to find now.
· JUMP and TRASH buttons are now configurable (on the main dialog).
· DISP button can be used to change brightness in small increments.
· Use UP to display current ISO in the viewfinder (without changing it).

* New scripts
· Long exposure script, with long exposure calculator included.
· Depth-of-field and hyperfocal calculator.
· ISO and Flash AEB.

* Enhancements to scripts
· Strict scheduling and time-lapse calculator added to the intervalometer.
· Bracketing direction configuragle for EAEB.
· LCD brightness and blinking LED during scripts are now configurable.
· Restore camera before shut down, and check for card space before each shot.

* New and updated translations
· Finnish.
· Russian.
· Polish.
· The translation procedure has also been made easier.

Re: Eos 400d ( Rebel XTI )
« Reply #1571 on: 15 / April / 2012, 17:11:02 »
Here you are... release 20120415-0 (aka "Easter Release") is out:Thanks to everybody involved!
« Last Edit: 15 / April / 2012, 17:52:51 by eduperez »

« Reply #1572 on: 15 / April / 2012, 21:47:04 »
Hello everyone,
Sorry to be the needy person, but I've been attempting to set up the cross-compiler for a long time on my Fedora16 system and have had no luck. I'm currently running the 200110615-4 (June 15, 2011) build of 400plus, and was wondering if someone could help me by extending the high ISO to 6400 and the corresponding 1/3rd stops between 3200 and 6400.

Here is a link to the source code build 20110615-4 download:
http://code.google.com/p/400plus/downloads/detail?name=400plus-20110615-4.src.zip&can=1&q=

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
 - Scott S.

« Reply #1573 on: 16 / April / 2012, 01:32:40 »
Hello everyone,
Sorry to be the needy person, but I've been attempting to set up the cross-compiler for a long time on my Fedora16 system and have had no luck. I'm currently running the 200110615-4 (June 15, 2011) build of 400plus, and was wondering if someone could help me by extending the high ISO to 6400 and the corresponding 1/3rd stops between 3200 and 6400.

Here is a link to the source code build 20110615-4 download:
http://code.google.com/p/400plus/downloads/detail?name=400plus-20110615-4.src.zip&can=1&q=

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
 - Scott S.

I already tried to use ISOs above 3000, but they do not work: there seems to be some partial support in the firmware, and the camera is even capable of showing those values in the display; but the result is a completely broken picture. And 1/3 stops are not real either: the camera works with 1/8 stops internally, but only uses 3/8 (displayed as 1/3), 4/8 (displayed as 1/2), and 5/8 (displayed as 2/3) stops.

But perhaps you have more knowledge and / or luck than me... I also use Fedora 16, so if you still want to try it, just send me (by a private message) your email address, and I'll share a folder at Dropbox with my toolchain (about 150MB, if my memory serves correctly). You might also want to have a look at the updated devinfo page; the new procedure is much simpler now.

Hope this helps.

« Reply #1574 on: 16 / April / 2012, 13:08:50 »
Thanks for the quick response. You are probably much more knowledgeable about the subject then I am.

I thought I had seen something from back in 2009 on this thread where someone had gotten the ISO up to 4000, or 5000. I was wondering if that was could be achieved, but it sounds like it is not. So does the camera start under-exposing once you get past 3000, because I've never noticed a problem when shooting at 3200? (Ex: ISO 6400 would be around 1 stop under-exposed)

Interesting that the camera works by 1/8th stops internally. I never knew that.

« Reply #1575 on: 16 / April / 2012, 16:32:16 »
Thanks for the quick response. You are probably much more knowledgeable about the subject then I am.

I thought I had seen something from back in 2009 on this thread where someone had gotten the ISO up to 4000, or 5000. I was wondering if that was could be achieved, but it sounds like it is not. So does the camera start under-exposing once you get past 3000, because I've never noticed a problem when shooting at 3200? (Ex: ISO 6400 would be around 1 stop under-exposed)

Interesting that the camera works by 1/8th stops internally. I never knew that.

Yes, it's very easy to "ask" the camera to set higher ISOs, and the display will happily show values up to 6400; but the pictures come out completely broken: not just underexposed, all the camera produces are random blobs of color on a completely black background.

The highest usable ISO is 3000 (ISO 1600 + 7/8 EV, actually), not 3200; but as the camera uses 1/3 stop numbers, it rounds to "3200" when asked to set ISO 3000. Older versions of 400plus set ISO 3000 and let the camera display "3200", and hence the confusion. On newer versions, we do the display ourselves, and thus we show "3000" when we set ISO 3000.

« Reply #1576 on: 16 / April / 2012, 18:31:28 »
How interesting. Well I guess that answers my question pretty well, and explains why it won't work. I wonder if there is some way to get around the broken image problem at ISOs higher than 3000. Some sort of other patch maybe? Probably not though. Thanks for all your help.

« Reply #1577 on: 17 / April / 2012, 02:11:58 »
How interesting. Well I guess that answers my question pretty well, and explains why it won't work. I wonder if there is some way to get around the broken image problem at ISOs higher than 3000. Some sort of other patch maybe? Probably not though. Thanks for all your help.

In 400plus we have to "enable" intermediate ISOs, as a previous step; just asking the camera to use them does not seem to be enough. That first action is still a mystery to me (somebody else found it before I joined the project), so perhaps there is a method to enable higher ISOs, that we must use before going higher than 3000... who knows.

Bear in mind that we are just asking the camera to use one ISO or another, we are not doing any of the work ourselves; patching the internal processing algorithms is way out of scope for me.

Offline 0xAF

• 0xAF
« Reply #1578 on: 17 / April / 2012, 04:08:44 »

In 400plus we have to "enable" intermediate ISOs, as a previous step; just asking the camera to use them does not seem to be enough. That first action is still a mystery to me (somebody else found it before I joined the project), so perhaps there is a method to enable higher ISOs, that we must use before going higher than 3000... who knows.

Bear in mind that we are just asking the camera to use one ISO or another, we are not doing any of the work ourselves; patching the internal processing algorithms is way out of scope for me.

In my opinion ISO greater than 3000 would not be possible ever on this camera.
The firmwares that are used in all the cameras share some base functionality (actually they are almost the same in functionality), only that for the cheaper models some features are "disabled", but there is still functionality in the camera. So we basically "unlock" some of the goodies that are already there.
In the hardware point of view it is different... the sensor used in 400d is not capable of ISO > 3000 (i was actually surprised that it made even 3000).
As far as I know the ISO depends on the voltage applied over the sensor, so if you choose ISO 100, there is X volts on the sensor, if you choose ISO 200, there is 2X volts on the sensor (this is only an example, it is most likely very different scheme of voltage applying),  and so on ...
Our sensor is capable of handling up to ISO 3000, then when you ask for more, you are applying more voltage on the sensor, and it gives you what it can, broken image... so IMO it's not a matter of under/over exposure ... it is just broken...
and i would not force my chances on the sensor applying more voltage on it than it can handle...

So this is what I know about the sensor... but it can be wrong, it's just my opinion.
// AF

« Reply #1579 on: 17 / April / 2012, 05:15:26 »
All intermediate ISOs are software-based: the camera applies a digital amplification (aka multiplication) after the capture and digitalization phase; for example, when set to ISO-125 (ISO-100 + 2/8 EV) the camera configures the sensor for ISO-100, then multiplies each value by 1.25 (1 + 2/8) after the digitalization.

Consequently, ISO-3000 is just ISO-1600 + 7/8 EV, and it just works; but ISO-3200 is a full stop over ISO-1600. It could be done by software, but then the algorithm used to calculate intermediate ISOs should be ready to increase a full stop. Or it could be done by hardware, but as 0xAF explains that means tinkering with hardware, and thus dangerous.